Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I wonder if anyone put money on Sanchez and Cleverley scoring today!

I had a fiver on him scoring, won me £45. I had a feeling it would be either him or grealish

I fancied Cleverley to score and had him to at any time but went a bit greedy and combined it with a Villa win.

Was not impressed with Cleverly. At all......

.... but that was under Lambert. Since Sherwood came in, he has come on in leaps and bounds. He is now a vital cog in what is a wonderful midfield.

Keep proving me wrong, Tom! :thumb:

.... but that was under Lambert. Since Sherwood came in, he has come on in leaps and bounds. He is now a vital cog in what is a wonderful midfield.

He's been doing exactly the same thing he was doing in Lambert's system - just Sherwood's system is a lot more effective. Unfairly maligned early on, glad to see him getting some praise and recognition now. 

Agreed Lexicon.

I think everyone felt Cleverly was going to be the "door unlocker" in Lamberts system which he doesnt really have the tools to fulfill.

Sherwood is using a system which really plays to both Cleverly and Delphs strengths.

I've always his felt his excellent box to box running ought to produce more goals. He often seems to be in the box but it never seems to fall to him or when it does he doesnt quite tuck it away. Hopefully Saturdays goal is the first of more to come.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

He's been doing exactly the same thing he was doing in Lambert's system - just Sherwood's system is a lot more effective. Unfairly maligned early on, glad to see him getting some praise and recognition now. 

I agree with the sentiment about his improvement, but I don't agree at all that it's the same thing.  Under Lambert; Cleverley, Delph and Westwood were just being asked to retain the ball at all costs and so we had the Poundshop version of tiki taka.  Now Cleverley and Delph have clearly been asked to drive forward and get the ball to Benteke or one of the attacking full backs, and *EVEN* have a shot at goal themselves.  Westwood and/or Sanchez are the sitting players.  Everybody knows what they're expected to do, and they're doing jobs they're good at. 

It's weird in a way.  Lambert was supposed to have been a student of the game and studied long and hard in Germany and was supposed to be bringing a tactically astute game to B6.  The reality was that he was the most tactically inept manager I've ever seen at Villa, without the first clue as to how to change things for the better.  We were told that Sherwood was nothing but a gee-em-up merchant with the tactical nouse of Barry Fry, but he's out-thought some very good bosses since being in charge, and is getting the best out of nearly every player he has inherited.   Funny old game.

• Like 3

I agree with the sentiment about his improvement, but I don't agree at all that it's the same thing. Under Lambert; Cleverley, Delph and Westwood were just being asked to retain the ball at all costs and so we had the Poundshop version of tiki taka. Now Cleverley and Delph have clearly been asked to drive forward and get the ball to Benteke or one of the attacking full backs, and *EVEN* have a shot at goal themselves. Westwood and/or Sanchez are the sitting players. Everybody knows what they're expected to do, and they're doing jobs they're good at.

It's weird in a way. Lambert was supposed to have been a student of the game and studied long and hard in Germany and was supposed to be bringing a tactically astute game to B6. The reality was that he was the most tactically inept manager I've ever seen at Villa, without the first clue as to how to change things for the better. We were told that Sherwood was nothing but a gee-em-up merchant with the tactical nouse of Barry Fry, but he's out-thought some very good bosses since being in charge, and is getting the best out of nearly every player he has inherited. Funny old game.

Spot on, he is doing much more now and isn't there just to break up play.

I'd be very surprised if he was making the same amount of forward runs and forward passes as he does currently under Lambert.

Indeed. I used to use the argument that Sanchez, Westwood, Delph and Cleverly were all much the same, hence their (and Tom's) ineffectiveness ....

... turns out they were just all asked to play the same. Given a more dynamic/forward role under Sherwood he is now flourishing - to the point where he is scoring against last seasons premiers.

Hopefully today he realised that Everton are a team on the slip whereas we could be a team on the up

That might be slightly short sighted considering Everton's last result.

Hopefully today he realised that Everton are a team on the slip whereas we could be a team on the up

Surely simply looking at Everton's last result is short sighted, they're only 3 places/9 points above us.

losing 3-2 to VIlla?  ;)

Edited by Zatman

Â