Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I wouldn't be against a straight swap for Vlaar at this point. We'd be getting the better end of that bargain because we're picking up a player who's younger, has more years ahead of him, resale value, and still some room to develop, and isn't injury prone. They're getting rid of a player they don't want and adding age and experience in a position they're desperately short in.

The question is, would the reported 8m that we were going to spend on Cleverley then be made available to Lambert in January to strengthen elsewhere, like a winger or an AM? Not sure it will work like that.

I think talk of money is pointless I think we've already done the deal. The only reason it ended as a loan was to get it done in time thanks to his agent and cleverly thinking about Everton.

I'd imagine Manchester united only agreed to the loan with some sort of purchase deal put in. They'd accepted £8 million from us, no way they let us have him for free because his agent was being a dick.

• Like 1

He has the ability to play further forward and I remember him playing that role quite well in Fergie's last season (I think...). Obviously it is easier to play when those around you have good technical skills but Benteke is certainly good enough for him to play off.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

He has the ability to play further forward and I remember him playing that role quite well in Fergie's last season (I think...). Obviously it is easier to play when those around you have good technical skills but Benteke is certainly good enough for him to play off.

Completely agree and when you put Delphs energy into the midfield alongside him I think he'll improve as the season goes on

Decent player but £8m with 6 months left on his contract is daylight robbery. If Everton want him then off he goes. Hes worth about 40k a week and no fee. Sanchez looks a far more interesting player to me, hes more direct and influences the game far more than Cleverley and hes only got a few games Premier league experience. 

£8m should get us a proven, powerful ball winning midfielder, something we have been crying out for for an age.

I can't believe we would pay £8m for a player who will cost nothing in the summer.

First of all, we won't get him for free in the summer. Someone else will. If he's available for free he won't be coming here.

But I said in the summer, the best way to think of that £8m is a try before you buy.

That's what we've got with Cleverley. We effectively bought him in the summer, we've just given ourselves an opportunity to "un buy" him.

That £8m is not what we're paying to buy him in January. That is what we paid to buy him in the summer, but with an opportunity to send him back instead and keep our money.

If we hadn't agreed that fee, then he would be available for less in january, but everyone else would be able to buy him. Similarly with the "free" situation in the summer.

• Like 3

It would be bonkers though if we sign Cleverley for 8m....and at the same time sell Delph for something like 4m.

O.k I accept it's out of our hands what other teams will bid for Delph but to me he's a superior midfield to Cleverley who obviously has this reputation from playing for Man. United but honestly isn't that great.

He's not rubbish either but I think we need more rather than just selling Delph and signing him as a replacement.

I can't believe we would pay £8m for a player who will cost nothing in the summer.

First of all, we won't get him for free in the summer. Someone else will. If he's available for free he won't be coming here.

But I said in the summer, the best way to think of that £8m is a try before you buy.

That's what we've got with Cleverley. We effectively bought him in the summer, we've just given ourselves an opportunity to "un buy" him.

That £8m is not what we're paying to buy him in January. That is what we paid to buy him in the summer, but with an opportunity to send him back instead and keep our money.

If we hadn't agreed that fee, then he would be available for less in january, but everyone else would be able to buy him. Similarly with the "free" situation in the summer.

yeah IF he signs permanently its exactly like paying 8m in the summer.

He certainly works hard and that goes a long way in his favour. I dont think we've seen the best of him but his all round game is tidy enough for me. pretty similar to westwood in my eyes which if/when we lose Delph, we might be a bit mad to pass up signing him if the opportunity is there. He's british and home grown and that shouldnt be underestimated in Lamberts thinking if we sign him I reckon.

Premiership prices are already crazy but I wonder whether we're seeing another kick on effect of the FFP rules in that the big clubs are going to be less willing or able to veer off their business plans too much (If they're bothered in the slightest). Barring madness like PSG offering you silly money for average defenders they're all going to need to maximise their income from sales and I think we'll see it a bit harder to get people off them all on the cheap. whereas the rest of us will remain ripe for the picking as soon as someone makes their England debut. Just something im keeping an eye on in case i can moan about it later!

Anyway I dont think its that much for an England international central midfielder who'll be coming here in his prime with a point to prove. Just a shame it seems it will be to replace Delph in the squad.

I'm not ITK on this just for clarity.

But I don't think we will pay £8m for him, in January or the summer. Not least because I doubt that Lambert has that to spend in January.

As for signing him on a Bosman, no English club can sign a pre-contract with him until the summer although he could sign one with a club oversea's.

I also don't think there will be any kind of swap deal for Vlaar.

I think Cleverley will leave United for free this summer, the question will be where does he end up?

We will have convinced him his future is here or will he have convinced us enough to want him?

Or will Everton com back in for him and offer him a contract closer to his home and young family.

Personally I hope we get to keep him and at least Everton are down on last season which might make it a bit easier.

Yes its amazing the difference a season makes. Last season with Everton challenging for a top 4 spot we were miles away from them, now we are above them in the table and their squad looks very old so maybe we wouldn't be any less attractive than Everton. 

Delph doesn't really score many goals or get many assists either, is he not worth 7mil?

I'm talking about Cleverley, Delph has nothing to do with it.  Delph is dynamic and makes things happen whereas Cleverley looks under pressure the whole time and is more defensively minded.  Not sure what you're getting at with that last post tbh. 

The fact is he's not really bad, as you said, when he's in possession - the statistics prove it as he's our most accurate passer. I disagree that he looks under pressure the whole time, he plays a very high energy game and is constantly looking to keep the ball ticking over, which if anything, is dynamic. He's definitely worth 7mil. 

He doesn't go forward though.  Like, at all.  If he brings the ball out of midfield, he'll pass sideways or stop and look for options behind him.  He hassles, which is good, but not a £7/8m player for me.

Possession and ball retention is important, 

I have to say ....without it there is no control.

but before an avalanche falls on top of me....yes, you have also to do something with the ball.

I agree but that's not Cleverley's job or his profile as a footballer. He keeps the ball moving, he works hard, he passes well and always offers an option. He's actually bloody good at those things - if he had some flair nearby, we'd be laughing. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 2

If we had £8mil in the summer to spend on him, we will have £8mil in January.

I half feel that its a done deal, partly because Everton are "spent up"

I can't believe so many people are worried about the fee though-Would they sooner the money goes towards offsetting Lerners deficit? People have been crying out for us to spend a bit more on players yet the minute we do, theres a rush of doubters. The money side of things is not our problem anymore-its Lerners. I don't care if we pay £20mil for Cleverley.

If we had £8mil in the summer to spend on him, we will have £8mil in January.

I half feel that its a done deal, partly because Everton are "spent up"

I can't believe so many people are worried about the fee though-Would they sooner the money goes towards offsetting Lerners deficit? People have been crying out for us to spend a bit more on players yet the minute we do, theres a rush of doubters. The money side of things is not our problem anymore-its Lerners. I don't care if we pay £20mil for Cleverley.

If you don't care you are dumb there are FFP rules to adhere to and we can't waste what little resources we have.

8m will buy us a better player than tom

Â