Tom Fox

Cracker1234

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Appointed various managers and failed. Also has to be held responsible for this shambolic transfer policy

Right.

He's appointed 2. 1 I wouldn't have touched with a bargepole but arguably just about succeeded last season and was given the opportunity to carry on this year where the wheels fell off. I'll let Fox have that.

And then we all know the story with Garde. I think he could potentially be successful for us but so far he's had the deck stacked heavily against him.

The transfer policy... Shrug. Our best players this year have been the result of that policy. Equally it didn't plug holes we clearly had and the team as a whole hasn't, for whatever reason, worked out (largely because we're incredibly brittle, and can't score).

I dunno. I dunno what he does all day. His background is commercial deals. Apparently he's been doing a lot of that as we're a mess in that respect.

But I dunno.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Right.

He's appointed 2. 1 I wouldn't have touched with a bargepole but arguably just about succeeded last season and was given the opportunity to carry on this year where the wheels fell off. I'll let Fox have that.

And then we all know the story with Garde. I think he could potentially be successful for us but so far he's had the deck stacked heavily against him.

The transfer policy... Shrug. Our best players this year have been the result of that policy. Equally it didn't plug holes we clearly had and the team as a whole hasn't, for whatever reason, worked out (largely because we're incredibly brittle, and can't score).

I dunno. I dunno what he does all day. His background is commercial deals. Apparently he's been doing a lot of that as we're a mess in that respect.

But I dunno.

I struggle with most of that, to be honest, but not wishing to be rude.

Garde has done no better to date than Sherwood with a poor side....but it was a poor side and less acclimatised for Sherwood too....so I'm not sure how this massive difference of opinion exists.....They both struggled with this lot and one does not stand out that much more than the other..... I prefer Garde, but some of the comments of Sherwood v Garde....you would think we have Pepe guardiola.

The transfer policy is a joke.....I'm not sure how you appraise players,but best to me means creative and defensive....we are clearly missing a goal scorer, but I guess we thought we had signed one, like we thought we had some good players out of 13... It's been a disaster for whatever reason.

The players can't defend the midfielders are lightweight and cannot offer any control in the game, they are passive and lack fight and drive.....and moreover to date paid far too much for them.

As fans a times we are far too forgiving and compliant.....this lot are no where near good enough and the manager whether it be Remi Garde or Tim Sherwood is/ was hampered with them.

and yes some of the previous players outside the 13 are not good enough either, that what makes the whole thing so absurd.

I feel sorry for him to a degree, another of Lerner's victims in a sense. He has made some poor decisions clearly, as CEO of the Football Club it's his job to take responsibility and take responsibility he must. At the same time, I don't think he's a "rocket polisher". Unless the stories are true regarding throwing people out, which still seem unconfirmed to me?

Either way, has to go I'm afraid. They all have to, but if he has to be first then so be it. 

Over promoted just like Faulkner was. He should be our marketing guru just like he was at Arsenal.

Is it asking too much to actually get in someone who was a chief exec somewhere else.

Even Ellis got in Bruce Langham for a bit who was CEO of Fulham. 

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The best part of the match has been the chant of tom fox is rocket polisher, rocket polisher, tom fox is a rocket polisher rocket polisher

I would say he will be gone by summer latest now

in fairness if he goes it will only mean Lerner appoints somebody else who probably has zero knowledge on management

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I feel sorry for him to a degree, another of Lerner's victims in a sense. He has made some poor decisions clearly, as CEO of the Football Club it's his job to take responsibility and take responsibility he must. At the same time, I don't think he's a "rocket polisher". Unless the stories are true regarding throwing people out, which still seem unconfirmed to me?

Either way, has to go I'm afraid. They all have to, but if he has to be first then so be it. 

A guy with his CV should understand his limitations. It's a job he shouldn't have accepted to begin with.

Edited by maqroll

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Over promoted just like Faulkner was.

Is it asking too much to actually get in someone who was a chief exec somewhere else.

Indeed.

His history is a money man at Arsenal, with expertise in making money selling the brand in Asia. I'm sure that's why Lerner got him in....

... but here he had to build a brand first, which starts by playing winning football - something that is outside his expertise.

Not to worry - we now have another money man in Hollis. That'll turn around the club's fortunes! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Over promoted just like Faulkner was. He should be our marketing guru just like he was at Arsenal.

Can't recall exactly but I'm sure merson said (I know he's not the brightest himself) when questioning his ability to carry out the role that if he was that great arsenal would never have let him go.

To be fair you can't blame fox for taking a more senior role, for undoubtedly more money, but it's time for all to accept he's not very good at it. 

His ego bangs on about improved revenue in seemingly complete igornarance of the bad football related decisions he has made. Maybe a sideways step to head of the commercial department, if randy wants to save face. I'd much rather f**k him off, plus I think he'd walk at that proposal! Despise the man and despise his impact since being here

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

in fairness if he goes it will only mean Lerner appoints somebody else who probably has zero knowledge on management

New person can't do any worse than fox has. He has been hopeless from the start

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Do you trust Lerner to appoint someone any better?

cant get much worse. Lerner should let someone who knows something about running a club make the decision on who to appoint. FWIW id like them both gone before summer

13 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Indeed.

His history is a money man at Arsenal, with expertise in making money selling the brand in Asia. I'm sure that's why Lerner got him in....

... but here he had to build a brand first, which starts by playing winning football - something that is outside his expertise.

Not to worry - we now have another money man in Hollis. That'll turn around the club's fortunes! :rolleyes:

And lets face it, I'm sure it isn't that hard to sell brand Arsenal.

6 hours ago, JP1982 said:

Can't recall exactly but I'm sure merson said (I know he's not the brightest himself) when questioning his ability to carry out the role that if he was that great arsenal would never have let him go.

To be fair you can't blame fox for taking a more senior role, for undoubtedly more money, but it's time for all to accept he's not very good at it. 

His ego bangs on about improved revenue in seemingly complete igornarance of the bad football related decisions he has made. Maybe a sideways step to head of the commercial department, if randy wants to save face. I'd much rather f**k him off, plus I think he'd walk at that proposal! Despise the man and despise his impact since being here

He wasn't in Arsenal jail, he was offered the job and he took it. We don't know what Arsenal tried to do to keep him, that isn't in the public domain. Merson is a buffoon. 

He has an ego yes. You have to to get to where he is. But there's a sense within me that he has fulfilled his remit and tried to improve the club commercially, yet like everybody else within the club he has had the rug pulled from under his feet with regards to investment and 'other' decisions. It is telling to me that Hollis was a Randy appointment. I'd have thought Tom Fox should be making those decisions? 

Got to fall on his sword anyway, the supporters simply won't have him, understandably. I just don't fully agree with the accusations being leveled at him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He wasn't in Arsenal jail, he was offered the job and he took it. We don't know what Arsenal tried to do to keep him, that isn't in the public domain. Merson is a buffoon. 

He has an ego yes. You have to to get to where he is. But there's a sense within me that he has fulfilled his remit and tried to improve the club commercially, yet like everybody else within the club he has had the rug pulled from under his feet with regards to investment and 'other' decisions. It is telling to me that Hollis was a Randy appointment. I'd have thought Tom Fox should be making those decisions? 

Got to fall on his sword anyway, the supporters simply won't have him, understandably. I just don't fully agree with the accusations being leveled at him. 

But he wasn't here to just try and improve the commercial side, he had a promotion from that. 

He over saw a new 4 year contract for a manager who months before asked to be sacked. He then kept said manager in place far too long limiting the calibre of replacement we could attract. And put together and oversaw the transfer committee that has put the final nail in our premier league status. 

He's a massive part of our failure and I can't agree that he's had the rug pulled out from under him. Deserves to go for the **** bullshit he's spouted to fans alone. 

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree with the bit about him taking the job, the CEO job. Thing is, for a Commercial "expert" why did he then stop doing commercial stuff and appoint someone else to do that? That was his doing. He (Fox) has been CEO'ing and making a right mess of it. IMO the appointments made by him have not brought the results we'd want. The transfer policy, ditto, the approach to staff at the club, to supporters - all bad.

I agree Hollis looks like a Randy Lerner appointment - basically in response to the mess Fox has made of things - Like you I think Fox is toast, but unlike you I think he deserves to be toast. The consequences of his actions have been almost universally terrible.

For all that there haas been a Lerner driven reduction in spending, and loss of interest and so on, there's still no excuse for the abject state of the club which has primarily been brought about by the actions of Fox. He's out of his depth IMO. Yes Lerner appointed him and so is ultimatley responsible (again). But Fox does not appear to be sufficiently capable or able to do the role he is in. The treatment of club people, of fans suggests that his personal qualities are lacking, too.

@DCJonah I don't disagree he has done a bad job overall. The three that you highlight are good examples. However, I also do not believe that he has been given the tools by Lerner in which to succeed. The best we could have hoped for is mediocrity, what has happened instead has been an utter shambles. But we were always walking that tightrope. He has made some poor decisions and some clearly poor appointments and for that reason he deserves to lose his job, but the reasoning for that is not necessarily all his fault. In fact, we know it isn't. We know who is ultimately to blame for every single thing that has gone wrong at this club. The buck stops right at the top. Aiming the vitriol towards Fox is, in my opinion, muddying the message. 

@blandy I don't know why he appointed a commercial guy when it turns out, if he is to be believed, that he ended up doing all that stuff himself regardless. He deserves to lose his job yes, the sooner they are all gone the better. However I cannot agree with...

there's still no excuse for the abject state of the club which has primarily been brought about by the actions of Fox.

That is astonishingly short sighted for such a clever bloke. And I mean that last bit! I'm rather surprised you see it that way. 

To be clear - I think Tom Fox has done a poor job as CEO of Aston Villa Football Club. I do not think he is a vicious or vindictive man, just the wrong man at the wrong time and probably out of his depth. However he came into a club in utter disarray, that had been left to rot for several years. The former CEO was even worse IMO. He was always on a hiding to nothing although he hasn't done nearly enough to arrest the slide. It's a bit like the Remi Garde situation.

Under normal circumstances the poor decisions he has made, coming in to a decent well run club or even just a shit one, may not be so glaringly obvious.

Â