Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Took Petrov a year and half to settle and he was only coming in from Scotland and knew the manager well.

While I conpletely agree, Petrov was a bit different in that he completely adapted his game to the premier league compared with Scotland where as Sanchez needs to be exactly why we bought him.

As I say I completely agree though. I thought he was noticeably poor last week but still think he will be a good buy.

The defensive midfielder role has a weird reputation wise in England, all the 'keep it ticking over' players get called 'The Crab' Westwood, Cleverley at utd, Arteta, to be fair Petrov also and even Carrick. Which I think is unfair but the players that can add midfield enforcer to this are the great players The main example being Makalele, simple passes but great at reading the game.

Fingers crossed Sanchez can be this player.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

I didn't even notice Cleverley or Westwood in the game until about the 60th minute, so I don't think it's insane to suggest he should be considered.

Problem is you would notice Carlos, but not in a good way. He's way off the pace.

• Like 1

Hazard, Fabregas and Oscar would've just passed the ball around him, he's not ready to start yet in this league as we saw last week.

In fairness they pass it around almost everyone else in the world. Sanchez was at least 5 times cheaper than any of them, so what can you realistically expect?

Hazard, Fabregas and Oscar would've just passed the ball around him, he's not ready to start yet in this league as we saw last week.

In fairness they pass it around almost everyone else in the world. Sanchez was at least 5 times cheaper than any of them, so what can you realistically expect?

Not this again.

We should just draw up a list of spend/player value, work out who spent the most, award them the trophy and go home without a ball being kicked.

Not this again.

We should just draw up a list of spend/player value, work out who spent the most, award them the trophy and go home without a ball being kicked.

Not what again? Defending a player from hypothetical unfair criticism? 

I think you make a good point with the first sentence, but a poor one with the second.

Yes, they are able to pass round most players because of their ability. No, the price paid for Sanchez isn't relevant to their ability to pass round him, or not, or what we might expect.

when you have a passing team like that, or a passing midfield, the only way to combat it is for the opposition to either drop deep and compress the space available, or to, as a team tactic, all close down a man together, and pressure not just the man in possession, but the likely recipients of a pass. It's more a tactic and awareness and energy thing, than purely or mostly related to respective transfer fees.

I agree that the ability Chelsea have been able to buy makes them formidable and highly skilled opponents, but I don't think that reducing things purely down to cost for a particular player is really the full explanation, or "what we should expect". Does that make sense?

Needs games to get up to speed. It's a shame that we don't have any cup games for a while, now that we're out of the league cup, so we don't really have any other way to give players a runout. The only way to get him used to playing in the PL is by doing exactly that; letting him play in the PL. In a midfield 4 with Westwood, Cleverly and Delph I think he'll turn out good.

I agree that the ability Chelsea have been able to buy makes them formidable and highly skilled opponents, but I don't think that reducing things purely down to cost for a particular player is really the full explanation,

Depends on the correlation between cost and quality, innit?

You find the odd bargain (e.g. Benteke) and the mad prices (e.g. Shane Long) but largely cost and quality are fairly correlated. Di Maria cost so much because he's good. Paul McShane doesn't get paid a billion quid a week.

Paul McShane doesn't get paid a billion quid a week.

After guiding Villa to third in the league in Football Manager, I took the vacant Man Utd job. I signed Paul McShane for £17m and gave him a six year contract on £250,000 a week. I then resigned and took a job with Barnet.

I love that game.

Edited by Enda

I agree that the ability Chelsea have been able to buy makes them formidable and highly skilled opponents, but I don't think that reducing things purely down to cost for a particular player is really the full explanation,

Depends on the correlation between cost and quality, innit?

You find the odd bargain (e.g. Benteke) and the mad prices (e.g. Shane Long) but largely cost and quality are fairly correlated. Di Maria cost so much because he's good. Paul McShane doesn't get paid a billion quid a week.

You're conflating transfer fees and wages, which is a mistake. Transfer fees are poorly correlated with final league positions, but wages correlate well with them (the probable reason for this is big teams being able to pick up top quality players like Sagna or Lampard on free transfers). 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Â