Aly Cissokho

samjp26

According to our colleagues at Superdeporte, Valencia and Aston Villa have reached an agreement for the transfer of French left-back Aly Cissokho.

The deal is worth €2.5m and the player has already agreed to a provisional contract with the Premier League side.

An extra €500k will have to be paid by Aston Villa to Cissokho’s former club Lyon, as they have rights to a percentage of the overall transfer fee.

All that remains is for the full-back to pass a medical. Foot Mercato, who have sources close to the player, understands that a four year contract has been provisionally agreed.

None of our current LB's would've got into the Liverpool team 19 times last season, so surely this must be an improvement? 

Depends.

Liverpool shipped in 50 goals last season, so it's not exactly in this department they excelled. Take away Suarez and +/- 20 of the goals he scored/created and they are very much a team like Tottenham or Everton. Flanagan and Toure each got 1500 minutes or more on the pitch last season, none of them are exactly players I would love to have in our current team. Besides, how many minutes did Cissokho get on the pitch in the end? He was branded a huge flop, so I wouldn't use the Liverpool-argument in his favor

• Like 3

This will be a great deal if it comes off at the price mentioned. I remember him being good at Lyon but hadn't seen him play really since he left them as I don't watch Spanish football and I literally can't watch Liverpool without getting an allergic reaction.  I wouldn't read too much into Liverpool fans slagging him as LB has been a problem position for them so the pressure would be on for any player to come in and be nothing other than amazing and of the highest calibre to play for such a great team that nearly won the league last year until Stevie G fell on his arse and threw it away hahahahaha, sorry got a bit carried away. 

• Like 2

Did he have a nightmare though? Or was it more the case that he just wasn't as good as a team fighting for the title was hoping.

Yeah thats true i guess. When you part it like this: Liverpool spent 6 million on him (something like that) and he played 15 times for a team that came 2nd. It looks pretty good. But literally everyone who's heard the news who i know can't stop laughing! I live in Manchester - thats probably why. But as always as a villa fan we've gotta look at the bright side of things. If he comes, good luck and prove everyone wrong ill fully support him regardless. 

Edited by tomh621

I had a feeling we'd sign a Liverpool full back. Welcome aboard Aly

Wait, if he scores and incredible goal, I'm going to call it Aly's comet.

Edited by useless

I'd love for him to sign for around 2.5 million then turn out to be pretty good, even just to sicken Liverpool fans.

I honestly don't think they care who we sign. That being said, I don't think they'll be challenging for the title this year without Suarez or a somewhat ample replacement.

As for Aly, for the price mentioned you can't really complain, but I'd personally rather blow all of our transfer money on one rock solid midfielder and just use Bennett or Richardson back there. Well, I'd personally have kept Luna, but that's done and dusted now,

I'd love for him to sign for around 2.5 million then turn out to be pretty good, even just to sicken Liverpool fans.

I can't see them caring.

They might if their LB options go tits up, they shipped tonnes of goals last year and are now minus Suarez. 

None of our current LB's would've got into the Liverpool team 19 times last season, so surely this must be an improvement? 

Depends.

Liverpool shipped in 50 goals last season, so it's not exactly in this department they excelled. Take away Suarez and +/- 20 of the goals he scored/created and they are very much a team like Tottenham or Everton. Flanagan and Toure each got 1500 minutes or more on the pitch last season, none of them are exactly players I would love to have in our current team. Besides, how many minutes did Cissokho get on the pitch in the end? He was branded a huge flop, so I wouldn't use the Liverpool-argument in his favor

Toure and Skrtel probably accounted for 25% of them goals conceded tbf.

Judging by the comments on Sky Sports most Liverpool fans think he is dreadful and cannot understand why we are buying him. I cannot really remember him at all save he was cover for Enrique.

Sounds like a decent bit of business if the £2m figure is true.

I look at it this way, Bertrand would cost us at least triple that and he was pretty underwhelming on the whole during his loan spell.

As mentioned before, just because he didn't do well at Liverpool does not mean he couldn't more than do a job for us.

Still only 26 as well.

Â