Aly Cissokho

samjp26

hope this means end of bennett. he is hopeless

He really isn't technically he is a good footballer, he just isn't mentally or physically strong enough for the PL at this stage. He might yet develop to be a decent player because he does have ability, we shall have to wait and see.

• Like 3

He really isn't technically he is a good footballer, he just isn't mentally or physically strong enough for the PL at this stage. He might yet develop to be a decent player because he does have ability, we shall have to wait and see.

I agree, think its a combination of confidence and physique, maybe a 3 month loan to Championship can boost his confidence or maybe pushed a little further forward

I agree, think its a combination of confidence and physique, maybe a 3 month loan to Championship can boost his confidence or maybe pushed a little further forward

I don't think a loan would help, he needs to adapt to the pace and physicality of the PL so the PL is the place he needs to be. What he isn't ready for is to be a starting LB week in week out because the PL can be a brutal place and as was shown he isn't or wasn't ready.

I don't think a loan would help, he needs to adapt to the pace and physicality of the PL so the PL is the place he needs to be. What he isn't ready for is to be a starting LB week in week out because the PL can be a brutal place and as was shown he isn't or wasn't ready.

I agree that he isn't ready to be starting week in week out, especially when we're doing badly as the fans then get on his back and in turn his confidence will continue to take knocks. After that Chelsea game last season he was praised but of course he was replaced the next game by Bertrand, rightly so too IMO. Bennett is a back up left back, nothing more or less and that is what we should use him as.

P.S. Jump into the speculation thread please Trent :) 

He's OK on the ball, but his positioning and defensive awareness are dreadful.  If he hasn't got that in him at the age of 24, then I can't see him ever getting it.  Alan Wright was one of the smallest players in the PL obviously, but his ability made up for his lack of stature. 

Whilst I accept Joe Bennett has a decent amount of footballing ability it is highly unlikely, given that he will be 25 before this season is out, that he is suddenly going to acquire the positional awareness that he so clearly lacks.

I think we are all guilty at times of thinking some of our players are younger than they are and are going to improve, in some cases dramatically, given time. I know I have been guilty of it. The facts are that the likes of Clark, Baker, Lowton, Bennett, Stevens will all be aged between 24 and 26 by the end of the coming season. The odds on any of them suddenly acquiring the defensive skills, and in some cases physical attributes, they so clearly lack are now becoming slim. Sadly I think all of them are out of their depth at Prem level. Certainly to be starting regularly.

bennett is  a terrible defender and he wont make it as a midfielder in my view so he shouldnt be here.

i think he is a chmapionship player and be better we cut ties with him if possible

Edited by Demitri_C

I do actually agree that Bennett's biggest problem has been his mental fragility rather than a comprehensive lack of ability but if he hasn't sorted that out two years down the line, then it's best for all parties involved that he moves on. He is 24 now so I don't see what benefit spending a season playing second-fiddle will do and it won't help his confidence in any way.

Edited by Isa

I do actually agree that Bennett's biggest problem has been his mental fragility rather than a comprehensive lack of ability but If he hasn't sorted that out two years down the line, then it's best for all parties involved that he moves on. He is 24 now so I don't see what benefit spending a season playing second-fiddle will help his confidence in any way.

I think injuries have hampered Bennett's development too, I believe this is his first fully-fit pre-season with us since he signed. Not to mention, he played really well against Chelsea (Home) last season.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I think injuries have hampered Bennett's development too, I believe this is his first fully-fit pre-season with us since he signed. Not to mention, he played really well against Chelsea (Home) last season.

This is true also but him being injured for so long is even more reason why needs to play regularly. He won't if Cissokho signs.

I do actually agree that Bennett's biggest problem has been his mental fragility rather than a comprehensive lack of ability but If he hasn't sorted that out two years down the line, then it's best for all parties involved that he moves on. He is 24 now so I don't see what benefit spending a season playing second-fiddle will help his confidence in any way.

playing a lot of games with Clark and Baker didn't help either

Bennett needs a run in the team. But we aren't in a strong enough position to risk it. I can't see a loan to the Championship really helping him, as he knows that league already.

His only chance of really developing is if a team like Crystal Palace were to take him on (loan or transfer). In a defensively solid team he could be allowed to progress, but in a team like ours full of individual errors and uncertainty, he just can't be risked. There's a player in there somewhere.

Bennett needs a run in the team. But we aren't in a strong enough position to risk it. I can't see a loan to the Championship really helping him, as he knows that league already.

His only chance of really developing is if a team like Crystal Palace were to take him on (loan or transfer). In a defensively solid team he could be allowed to progress, but in a team like ours full of individual errors and uncertainty, he just can't be risked. There's a player in there somewhere.

The way we set up made it difficult for our full backs, if Richardson is being used at left midfield it would help Bennett out a lot not to be two v one all game. He clearly couldn't cope with it and was on a hiding to nothing really.

Â