Philippe Senderos

samjp26

I love an underdog, and this guy was ridiculed when he signed.

But he's been absolutely brilliant in marshaling that defence, and I'm gutted for them that they've lost their clean sheet for the season - which says a lot in itself.

And that is the thing with him, he leads, talks and organises those around him which was what I tried to point out when we signed him.

We seriously lacked a player at the back last season because Vlaar isn't that sort of player.

• Like 2

Doing well so far.

I do worry a little with him when we play teams with lots of pace and mobility upfront e.g. Sanchez at Arsenal or the Liverpool lot so next few weeks will be interesting.

Aluko and Robbie Brady caused us some problems when they came on today for Hull I thought.

He did make a really poor error at one point, heading the ball into play when he should have nodded it back to Guzan. He clearly still has that in his locker.

I hope that when one does bite us we don't all jump on his back.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

He did make a really poor error at one point, heading the ball into play when he should have nodded it back to Guzan. He clearly still has that in his locker.

As I've said before and will again, he's always got an error in him, but he's replacing players who had 3 or 4

• Like 2

I didn't think he would set the world on fire when he joined, but he really has had a decent start.

I do feel there are some howlers in there somewhere but I am very pleased with the start he has made! 

I was crying out for him NOT to head it back as I felt there was not enough pace on the ball to head it back that far. Only saw the situation once though...

I was so wrong.

We have played Stoke, Newcastle and Hull - two of the games at home. These three teams scored 45, 43 and 38 goals last season. Let's wait until we have played some proper teams over time before we start celebrating our acquisitions?

The thing about Senderos is, no matter how you rate him, he has seen action at the highest level of football.

A lot who've seen him play live say that he's constantly shouting and organising the defence, and he seems to be enjoying his football. I love the passion he's shown at the final whistles for instance.

Apparently he also speaks five languages - English, French, Spanish, German and Italian, so is a good player to have around for players like Sanchez.

Anyway, good for you Phil - long may your good form continue.

I was so wrong.

We have played Stoke, Newcastle and Hull - two of the games at home. These three teams scored 45, 43 and 38 goals last season. Let's wait until we have played some proper teams over time before we start celebrating our acquisitions?

Why? People are going to leap on him as soon as he makes a mistake, so we may as well enjoy the good times while they last.

• Like 1

I was so wrong.

Can't agree with that. Our problem during Lambert's tenure has not been our performances against "proper" teams.

I was so wrong.

Stoke have just beaten (and played well in order to do so) Man City. 

Newcastle have goals in them and are not the same side as last year, and we snuffed them out. They also have pace to burn, so it was a good test. Leicester have shown today that there's no such thing as an easy game in this league, so I think his praise is justified not just for his own play but also for his leadership within the defence as a whole.

The final point is that he's an improvement over Baker and Clark, and came on a free so I think a little back patting is perfectly warranted.

Â