Philippe Senderos

samjp26

As solid as Senderos and the back four look, I can't help but think this is Villa and having not really played anyone yet, it is only a matter of time until the floodgates open. Basically, we're setting a standard that we just will not keep up.

We've played two teams that finished a comfortable distance in front of us last season.

That we are setting a standard this early is surely a good thing? I don't think we will make it 38 games without conceding, Senderos will drop a bollock or three along the way, but as a foursome we (and importantly they) know what they are capable of. They have a standard to aspire to. I don't see how that is a negative at all.

I will ignore the obvious flippant comment in reply but I am glad to see the boo boys proved wrong (again). I agree Okore is the future but this is all about experience, something we sadly lacked last season.

As solid as Senderos and the back four look, I can't help but think this is Villa and having not really played anyone yet, it is only a matter of time until the floodgates open. Basically, we're setting a standard that we just will not keep up.

What's that supposed to mean? It's not like we're cursed - if we've got better more experienced players in the defence then it's more likely that we'll ship less goals.

if he keeps this up all season alot of us will be sharing a large humble pie. Good on him. He seems to compliment Vlaar as a partnership. Lets see how they go against a good attacking side though.

if he keeps this up all season alot of us will be sharing a large humble pie. Good on him. He seems to compliment Vlaar as a partnership. Lets see how they go against a good attacking side though.

he probably won't. We all know he's capable of dropping a clanger or three.

The thing is, if he keeps playing like he is playing now, then I'll forgive him the odd clanger.

The problem will be if the clangers accompany a drop in form in general.

Being at the game, its actually Senderos who organises the line of defence.

The guy next to me in the Holte commented on this, saying that he'd been noticing Senderos barking orders all game. Or maybe he was just constantly after approval from Vlaar, "Am I doing okay Ronald?!" :D
  • Like 1

Being at the game, its actually Senderos who organises the line of defence.

The guy next to me in the Holte commented on this, saying that he'd been noticing Senderos barking orders all game. Or maybe he was just constantly after approval from Vlaar, "Am I doing okay Ronald?!" :D

Hahaha, you can see he does have a clanger in him, but he's a definite upgrade on Baker and Clark.

Joking aside, I've been impressed with him. His passing looked decent too. He had a few shaky moments on Saturday, but the difference between him and Clark/Baker is that he recovered from them, whereas their slip-ups would have probably resulted in the opposition going through on goal.

What's that supposed to mean? It's not like we're cursed - if we've got better more experienced players in the defence then it's more likely that we'll ship less goals.

It means that I can't help but think this is Villa, and the chance of any prolonged consistency (based on history) is very slim indeed. I don't think it's a negative way of looking at it. I think it would be very easy to get overly excited about the start the back 4 has made, but I stand by the fact that we haven't really played anybody. Both Stoke's and Newc attacking play was as bad as ours. 

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

Okay a question if we had Baker or Clark starting in those games along with Lowton, we would have conceded goals. No one is saying that our defence is rock solid as Newcastle did have a few chances but the organisation is there for all to see.

I do not disagree with that. Nor have I indicated that I do disagree with that.

I think it would be very easy to get overly excited about the start the back 4 has made,

Serious question; what constitutes being "overly excited"?

As far as I can see being happy about our possible new found defensive solidity has absolutely no negative consequences even if it turns out to be a false dawn. What harm can being happy about some aspect of Villa possibly do?

You say "overly excited" as if any slight overestimation of our team would have some terrible effect on something.

People are happy because some of our players did good and your response is that they only did good because the opponents were shit and have somehow come to the conclusion that "it's only a matter of time before the floodgates open".

• Like 1

I think it would be very easy to get overly excited about the start the back 4 has made,

Serious question; what constitutes being "overly excited"?

As far as I can see being happy about our possible new found defensive solidity has absolutely no negative consequences even if it turns out to be a false dawn. What harm can being happy about some aspect of Villa possibly do?

You say "overly excited" as if any slight overestimation of our team would have some terrible effect on something.

People are happy because some of our players did good and your response is that they only did good because the opponents were shit and have somehow come to the conclusion that "it's only a matter of time before the floodgates open".

Well your last line is just nonsense really. I certainly never said that's the 'only' reason. I simply said that we haven't really been tested. Put it this way. Did the Newcastle defence keep a clean sheet because they were excellent? 

People can react how they want. A lot of people went way way over the top with their expectations last year. Some were even suggesting it was the most excited they had been about Villa since we won the European Cup. It was madness. Now, whilst people are not necessarily going over the top with their opinions of Senderos, Il be definitely keeping my feet on the ground with regards him.

If you keep a clean sheet then by default you have defended well

When a defence does well the opposition attack will naturally appear subdued

When an attack performs well then by default the opposition defence will have had a tough day

So using the two scenarios in the way you have is utter BS sorry

• Like 1

Â