Philippe Senderos

samjp26

Aston Villa signing Philippe Senderos says he is desperate for team captain Ron Vlaar to stay at the club. After being one of Holland's stars during their World Cup run which saw them finish third, Vlaar has been widely touted as being a transfer target for several big-name clubs across Europe.

It would be brilliant if he can stay. I think the club are trying everything they can to keep him and the fact he’s seen the team do well today he might think he should stay.

From Sky's transfer centre...thingy.

Despite Senderos being absolutely lambasted here by most when he signed (I certainly indulged in a lot of that) you can really see the difference between him, a solid, no nonsense player with a huge amount of experience at both international level and in the top flight, and players like Clark and Baker. 

Senderos may have a couple of dodgy moments this season but he is a big improvement on both Clark and Baker, he knows how to defend and read the game infinitely better and doesn't take any chances with the ball at his feet.

• Like 3

Another aspect of his game that I think gets overlooked is his distribution. He's very calm and composed on the ball, and a lot of the time he played intelligent first-time balls forward from dangerous crosses/floated balls where Baker or Clark would have instantly hoofed upfield due to sheer panic. A definite improvement all around.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

Yes an excellent debut and seemed to form a good partnership with Vlaar but its only one game. We didn't judge Baker and Clarke over one match. I'll wait and see how he does over a longer period before forming an opinion. 

Another aspect of his game that I think gets overlooked is his distribution. He's very calm and composed on the ball, and a lot of the time he played intelligent first-time balls forward from dangerous crosses/floated balls where Baker or Clarked would have instantly hoofed upfield due to sheer panic. A definite improvement all around.

Okore is pretty tidy on the ball too and we all know how good Vlaar is technically.

Quite ironic really when we used to have a bunch of real cloggers at the back just a few years ago.

• Like 1

I've always thought throughout his career that he tends to do well and put in 7 or 8 out of 10 performances regularly. 

I wasn't bowled over by his signing but I think he's one of those that will be worth it considering the outlay has been minimal. 

His performance yesterday will do for me, let's not forget Stoke are no mugs these days and have good attacking players. I concur with others though we should judge him over a long period. 

He was awesome yesterday. One big difference was the organisation in our defence with both Ron and Senderos shouting orders instead of Ron trying to get Lowton, Baker and Luna in position ob his own. Great to see Senderos speaking up about Ron staying.

• Like 1

Yes an excellent debut and seemed to form a good partnership with Vlaar but its only one game. We didn't judge Baker and Clarke over one match. I'll wait and see how he does over a longer period before forming an opinion.

Good point. It is only one game but the fact he has played for Arsenal, Milan and Valencia does suggest he is of a decent standard.

He may make big mistakes here and there which seems to be one of the main reasons his reputation has suffered. But he is such a massive improvement on Clark and Baker in what is such a key position.

He wasn't exposed yesterday by his lack of pace. He may be against quicker forwards particularly at home when we are pressing a game. Thats my big doubt about him and why I will reserve judgement until he's played a few games. 

No doubt will drop a few clangers this season but he isn't a top CB after all. What he is, is an improvement on Clark and Baker and on yesterday's evidence a big one. Amazing what a bit of experience can do eh?

Really pleased he had a good game yesterday. Will have given him a massive boost ahead of the next few games. I'm not expecting him to be incredible 100% of the time but a few more performances like that over the season will see him right.

I think he looks good alongside Vlaar but like people say early days

If Vlaar goes and if he has to look after one of the chucklebrothers then thats when we should start worrying because his defending will become desperate and the mistakes will kick in

If Vlaar goes I bloody well hope we use the money on a replacement so Senderos may still have someone slightly more accomplished than Clark or Baker to play alongside.

And of course Okore is waiting in the wings.

Edited by briny_ear

He wasn't exposed yesterday by his lack of pace. He may be against quicker forwards particularly at home when we are pressing a game. Thats my big doubt about him and why I will reserve judgement until he's played a few games. 

Diouf is a quick striker, however we never allowed them to get behind due to the organisation of the back line. Add in Sanchez and there is a bit of steel being added to it. But it'll be a different test against Newcastle.

Â