Crystal Palace

11 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Just looking at the players out of contract and released, it’s quite a list and a good opportunity to rebuild. It’s gonna need some cash though. 

Gary Cahill - contract expired

Scott Dann - contract expired

Nathaniel Clyne - contract expired

Wayne Hennessey - contract expired

James McCarthy - contract expired

Mamadou Sakho - contract expired

Patrick van Aanholt - contract expired

Mamadou Sakho - contract expired

Connor Wickham - contract expired

if we sell Engels, getting Cahill (or Dann) on reasonable wages as 4th CB wouldn't be the worst thing

11 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I saw and heard it stated extensively that Nuno had a hard time of it over the past 6 or so months because of not being able to see his family. This was put forward as a contributing factor to his final disappointing season with Wolves.

Now obviously I don’t know and will never know how hard he found it and what impact it had on his job. But the amount it was discussed and was generally accepted, I had assumed that after leaving Wolves, he’d be taking a season off from management, or maybe a job closer to home. I certainly wasn’t expecting him to stay in the country and immediately take what is essentially a sideways move at best (there is the London factor, I accept).

Is it possible the homesick stuff was exaggerated a bit by those looking to explain away a poor season?

I bought into the homesick theory as at times last season it looked like he had lost his mojo. It is now obvious that the parting of the ways was a sacking hidden behind the mutual consent narrative.

As for the poor season, yes it definitely was compared to the previous two years but there was other mitigating factors. No pre season, the loss of Jimenez who is (hopefully still is!) one of the divisions most all round forwards, injuries to other players and a recruitment campaign mainly based on the future rather than having players oven ready to use. All well and good if you have to let them bed them in and settle but not ideal when they don't have that chance. I think that Villa's recruitment campaign of buying first team ready players certainly was the reason why you climbed so much compared to the previous season.  I'm already impressed with your signing of Buendia and the fact that you are looking to bring in other players who will go straight into the team. The difficulty for us last season and may be the same for yourselves in future years is the price it will cost to go to the next level.

• Like 1

From our first season back in the PL, we know it's not just a simple case of signing players. They take time to adjust, settle and form a cohesive team. 

Zaha is moaning he wants to go (as usual), Eze is out. 

Regardless of the manager, I make Palace firm favourites to go down. 

I think Palace are in huge trouble, Roy was holding the club together and with him gone its a mess. They will probably bring in a Pulis style manager for one season to try stop the rot

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Lucien Favre is next name linked. Interesting is the word

Disappointed by his Dortmund spell but he's done a very good job at pretty much every other club he's managed in major euro leagues, got Berlin to 4th in Bundesliga before they bizarrely sacked him six months later then keep 'Gladbach up when they were bottom in the Feb of the next season and 18 months late they themselves made CL and he did it a few years later aswell. Then did the same with Nice in France.

I'd actually say it's one of the best managerial appointments this season if they get him as he can develop youth aswell.

can you imagine if Zaha went this season?, they would be relegation candidates.

Although tbh....who is gonna buy Zaha?, lucky for them tbh as he is the difference for them prob (as Eze is injured).

On 17/06/2021 at 20:46, sne said:

Yeah hope they don't get Favré, I like him. Go with Lambert instead, PL experience and all that.

You cursed it. Speculation has Cooper as favourite now. Could he have a place for Hourihane? 

• Like 1

These days the only time I watch a football team that isn’t Aston Villa is when they are playing us, so I acknowledge that I have a sample size of 2 games per season, but whenever I watched Zaha I’ve thought he’s shit. 

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

viera new manager...sounds like it's basically done.

massive gamble for them and a big rebuild job needed

He'll be sacked by November, and Palace will be looking to bring in Pulis

• Like 3

not done much in his 2 recent jobs to get a Premier League position, could easily be another De Boer failure. Wouldnt be surprised if Roy brought out of retirement at Christmas

Â