Crystal Palace

He guided Blackburn Rovers to a UEFA Cup spot in his first season as a Premier League manager.

He steered Fulham to survival and two years later, a first-ever major European final, beating Juventus on the way.

Stabilised West Bromwich Albion as a Premier League club, achieving their highest league finish in over 30 years.

He saved Crystal Palace Football Club after they started with seven straight defeats, the first time a club has ever stayed up after this start.

Roy Hodgson will forever be a Premier League hero 

Copied from fb, very impressive. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Genie said:

He guided Blackburn Rovers to a UEFA Cup spot in his first season as a Premier League manager.

He steered Fulham to survival and two years later, a first-ever major European final, beating Juventus on the way.

Stabilised West Bromwich Albion as a Premier League club, achieving their highest league finish in over 30 years.

He saved Crystal Palace Football Club after they started with seven straight defeats, the first time a club has ever stayed up after this start.

Roy Hodgson will forever be a Premier League hero 

Copied from fb, very impressive. 

they've wanted him out for much of this season. it's time they moved forward and it's probably not going to happen under him. the game has moved on and these older managers have been left behind. roy has left at the right time IMO. fair play for what he's achieved though

32 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

they've wanted him out for much of this season. it's time they moved forward and it's probably not going to happen under him. the game has moved on and these older managers have been left behind. roy has left at the right time IMO. fair play for what he's achieved though

Be careful what you wish for. 

Older managers, who've been with clubs a long time tend to leave a chasm within the squad. Whoever takes over will have a MASSIVE job. The whole squad is signed, been trained for years and ordered to play a specific way. 

I personally make them amongst the favourites for relegation next year. 

38 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Hodgson only got the job as the club tried to move on before and then sacked Frank De Boer after 6 losses. Is a huge chance this will happen again and probably try bring Hodgson back as caretaker in November

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

If they try and bring in someone to completely change the way they play I wouldn't be surprised to see them struggle and then bring in someone like Allardyce to get them back to basics. Sean Dyche would probably be a good option for them.

5 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Be careful what you wish for. 

Older managers, who've been with clubs a long time tend to leave a chasm within the squad. Whoever takes over will have a MASSIVE job. The whole squad is signed, been trained for years and ordered to play a specific way. 

I personally make them amongst the favourites for relegation next year. 

well most of the squad is out of contract, so the new guy needs to assemble a whole new team basically. you may well be right about relegation candidates but it all depends who they bring in and who they sign.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Do you have anything at all to support this statement, apart from the fact he’s older?

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

Do you have anything at all to support this statement, apart from the fact he’s older?

the fact that there are several examples of managers who have previously been successful not doing well for a number of years. roy is one example...allardyce got bolton into europe remember and has been poor since. could argue moyes until this season. jose isn't the coach he once was. newcastle wanted bruce out for much of this season and whilst I'm grateful for stabilizing us, will never have taken us up (IMO). who else...ancelotti...spent shitloads and not likely to qualify for Europe. going back a little further can add wenger to that list too.

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the fact that there are several examples of managers who have previously been successful not doing well for a number of years. roy is one example...allardyce got bolton into europe remember and has been poor since. could argue moyes until this season. jose isn't the coach he once was. newcastle wanted bruce out for much of this season and whilst I'm grateful for stabilizing us, will never have taken us up (IMO). who else...ancelotti...spent shitloads and not likely to qualify for Europe. going back a little further can add wenger to that list too.

That’s got nothing to do with what you said though. You said the game has left him behind I assume because he older than most managers.

He’s done incredibly well in many of his jobs including this latest one. That’s not a manager who has been left behind by the game.

Does this mean Lampard is cutting edge because he’s young?

Its lazy stereotyping. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

That’s got nothing to do with what you said though. You said the game has left him behind I assume because he older than most managers.

He’s done incredibly well in many of his jobs including this latest one. That’s not a manager who has been left behind by the game.

Does this mean Lampard is cutting edge because he’s young?

Its lazy stereotyping. 

i'd argue against his latest one. palace fans have given him a fond farewell but they have wanted him out for much of this season and most of last too. uninspired signings and dull football.

age i do believe can be a factor. a younger manager i'd argue is more open to learning. an older manager is more set in his ways. so yes i'd argue lampard will be more open to new ideas and new ways of playing

As I said before, everyone assuming they'll be relegated next season because they look like an obvious basket case needs to clarify whether they also predicted last season's obvious basket case to go down this season (they ended up being in contention for a CL place until the last few weeeks).

57 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Hodgson has been doing well. What do you think Crystal Palace ambition is? Not to be in a mid table battle 

Moyes had a good season, Klopp won the title last season has been managing 20 years started same time as Jose and Bielsa will win manager of the millenium and is 66

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

As I said before, everyone assuming they'll be relegated next season because they look like an obvious basket case needs to clarify whether they also predicted last season's obvious basket case to go down this season (they ended up being in contention for a CL place until the last few weeeks).

I assume you mean West Ham, i think they had the players to do a lot better than last season though not as good as they did 

Palace need a huge over haul though unless the new manager wants to give all the out of contract players new deals 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hodgson has been doing well. What do you think Crystal Palace ambition is? Not to be in a mid table battle 

Moyes had a good season, Klopp won the title last season has been managing 20 years started same time as Jose and Bielsa will win manager of the millenium and is 66

8th season in this league, and they've been bottom half in all but 1 of those, where they finished 10th. yes, the fans have more ambition after taking all this PL TV money over these years.

i guess i am in the minority...what can i say...i don't rate roy as a manager anymore, but he has had a successful career, no question.

nor do i rate the several other older managers such as those i mentioned.

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

8th season in this league, and they've been bottom half in all but 1 of those, where they finished 10th. yes, the fans have more ambition after taking all this PL TV money over these years.

i guess i am in the minority...what can i say...i don't rate roy as a manager anymore, but he has had a successful career, no question.

nor do i rate the several other older managers such as those i mentioned.

They are the 5th biggest team in London and play in the 3rd smallest stadium in the league. They have been in maybe 2 relegation battles since they came up

so you dont rate Klopp and Bielsa?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are the 5th biggest team in London and play in the 3rd smallest stadium in the league. They have been in maybe 2 relegation battles since they came up

i didn't mention klopp or bielsa though? i listed a few managers that are older who i think the game has progressed past. and based on what palace fans have tole me personally, even they include roy in that list. i never said all older managers are shit.

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I do.

I can’t watch Bielsa without getting a lob on.

Never wanted to be a bucket so much in my life.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I assume you mean West Ham, i think they had the players to do a lot better than last season though not as good as they did 

Palace need a huge over haul though unless the new manager wants to give all the out of contract players new deals 

Absolutely, I'm not suggesting Palace are suddenly in line to repeat what West Ham did this season. All I'm saying is that there's a reason it was a big surprise, and a lot can happen between now and the start of next season.

Looking at the players Palace have out of contract:

palace.jpg

(from: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/crystal-palace/vertragsende/verein/873)

. . . how many would they actually miss? I guess Benteke, Townsend, Schlupp, Van Aanholt, McCarthy, Ward, maybe Cahill. Probably don't need any of the others. That's still a lot to replace, but surely some of them will get new deals.

Â