Crystal Palace

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely, I'm not suggesting Palace are suddenly in line to repeat what West Ham did this season. All I'm saying is that there's a reason it was a big surprise, and a lot can happen between now and the start of next season.

Looking at the players Palace have out of contract:

palace.jpg

(from: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/crystal-palace/vertragsende/verein/873)

. . . how many would they actually miss? I guess Benteke, Townsend, Schlupp, Van Aanholt, McCarthy, Ward, maybe Cahill. Probably don't need any of the others. That's still a lot to replace, but surely some of them will get new deals.

Add to that the fact that Eze will be out for a long time now and that’s a large proportion of their first team squad so yeah, I’d expect to see a number of them offered new deals

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely, I'm not suggesting Palace are suddenly in line to repeat what West Ham did this season. All I'm saying is that there's a reason it was a big surprise, and a lot can happen between now and the start of next season.

Looking at the players Palace have out of contract:

palace.jpg

(from: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/crystal-palace/vertragsende/verein/873)

. . . how many would they actually miss? I guess Benteke, Townsend, Schlupp, Van Aanholt, McCarthy, Ward, maybe Cahill. Probably don't need any of the others. That's still a lot to replace, but surely some of them will get new deals.

6 of them started Sunday vs us and Eze is out so its a big rebuilding. Its similar to us last season and dont think Palace have anything near the funds we did 

• 3 weeks later...

Cahill, Clyne, Dann, Sakho, Hennessey, McCarthy, Townsend, Van Aanholt, Ward, and Wickham all released amongst others.

Edited by useless
  • Shocked 1

Wickham has never scored more than ten goals in a season, and hasn't score more than five goals for five or six seasons, but he will probably still get a decent move to the championship based on reputation alone.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Wickham has never scored more than ten goals in a season, and hasn't score more than five goals for five or six seasons, but he will probably still get a decent move to the championship based on reputation alone.

Hasn't played more than 10 league games for 5 years 

Not sure if it was injuries or just taking the money and going in to semi retirement 

Agree that he'll probably still end up at a decent mid table champ team though 

They're going to need major surgery this summer. If I'm not mistaken they only have Tomkins left as a senior recognized CB and he's about 35 and came back from an almost career threatening injury recently. Surprised Van Aanholt was released too. At first glance those all look like deadwood, but most of those were first team regulars. Wouldn't want to be the poor sap in charge of the rebuild. Go on Frank Lampard, it's time to ruin your career!

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

They're going to need major surgery this summer. If I'm not mistaken they only have Tomkins left as a senior recognized CB and he's about 35 and came back from an almost career threatening injury recently. Surprised Van Aanholt was released too. At first glance those all look like deadwood, but most of those were first team regulars. Wouldn't want to be the poor sap in charge of the rebuild. Go on Frank Lampard, it's time to ruin your career!

Apparently Townsend and Ward are in contract negotiations with them, and others might be too (these lists don't seem to mean anything if the parties agree a new deal before the end of the month).

Van Aanholt is supposedly going overseas though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

That is a hospital pass of a job for anyone.

Can see many names turning it down.

Sure Roy was the problem, he carried the shitshow of a club together 

Next season is free money to bet them going down 

• Like 1

Usually players are only included on the released list if they're definitely being let go, and the players who's contract is about to end but are being offered a new deal are usually included on the retained list with an indication that they're being offered a new deal. We ourselves for example have a few of the youngers players who's contract with us ends this month but are on the retained list because they're being offered new deals.

Maybe some teams do it differently.

Looking at the players Palace have released it's going to be tough either way, they were probably over acheiving with Hodgson and would be very tough for another manager to emulate the job he did withe same players especially minus Zaha, but then we saw how hard it can be when you have to rebuild virtually a new team.

8 hours ago, useless said:

Usually players are only included on the released list if they're definitely being let go, and the players who's contract is about to end but are being offered a new deal are usually included on the retained list with an indication that they're being offered a new deal. We ourselves for example have a few of the youngers players who's contract with us ends this month but are on the retained list because they're being offered new deals.

Maybe some teams do it differently.

Looking at the players Palace have released it's going to be tough either way, they were probably over acheiving with Hodgson and would be very tough for another manager to emulate the job he did withe same players especially minus Zaha, but then we saw how hard it can be when you have to rebuild virtually a new team.

I dunno, I'm just paraphrasing this article:

'However, as noted by the Premier League, players signified as a "free transfer" or released by a club on the expiry of their contract on June 30 could still remain with the club next season, so this list should not be seen as definitive.

And football.london understands that is the case for Palace, with several players out of contract this summer in talks with the club over new deals.

That includes Ward and Townsend, who have both spoken about their contract situation recently, with Ward making clear his intention to stay amid a "transitional stage" for the Eagles.

Speaking to football.london, he said: "We are in a transitional stage and in a different position now going into the summer with changes on the horizon.

"As players we just have to focus on what we can control and that is our own performances and the way we conduct ourselves. Everything else is down to the hierarchy, the chairman and people involved in that process. I think the club has a great platform and a great foundation to build from.

"All I can do is focus on playing. I still believe there is many more years here at the club and hopefully that can get resolved and sorted. I would like to think I have given everything I can to keep the club in the Premier League.

"Hopefully things get sorted out, we are in talks and the club know where I stand, so hopefully things can move forward and when things get tied up we can enjoy the next few years."

Talks over new contracts are likely to continue, with the continued uncertainty over the management situation at the club.

[...]

Townsend has also admitted that he too has had offers from abroad, but with a young family he says

"It's a tough one," he said, speaking on the Original Penguin X Campaign Against Living Miserably Under The Surface podcast.

"I'm at a point in my career where I'm 29 and I need to make the right decision for my career. I love the Premier League and I want to get as many games as I can in the Premier League whilst I am able but there's a couple of options overseas where there's possible Champions League football, which unfortunately I'm never going to get in the Premier League.

"So I'm at a stage now where do I want to continue what I'm doing at a similar Premier League level or do I want to do something different and maybe fight for a title in another country or fight to play in the Champions League at another level."'

https://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/news/truth-crystal-palace-contract-situation-20747338

If you're trying to work out what 'the Original Penguin X Campaign Against Living Miserably Under The Surface podcast' might be, just know you're not alone. Penguins don't live under the surface? Maybe these ones do, and that's why they're living miserably? Someone should maybe rescue them, and perhaps these penguins should spend more time talking about their plight on their podcast, rather than interviewing Andros Townsend?

Very confusing.

• Haha 1

Â