Crystal Palace

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

palace is a weird one tbh.

If you can keep a tight defence and midfield, with Olise, Eze and Zaha, those 3 are capable of causing trouble for a lot of teams, they seem to be just missing a proper striker, and that would be a heck of a front 4, seems they have issues in midfield and defence tho for sure.

I think they are defo safe, i think they have the easiest run in of all teams in the PL, and they are what, 6 points clear already now?

It's why there surely must have been more going on the scenes regarding the sacking of Vieira. They were about to end (or just had ended) their difficult run. Surely he'd have picked up more than enough points to stay up from the much easier upcoming run.

So why wouldn't you persist with him for the long term rather than bringing back 70-odd-year-old Hodgson? Seems more to it IMO.

Edited by Tom13

16 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It's why there surely must have been more going on the scenes regarding the sacking of Vieira. They were about to end (or just had ended) their difficult run. Surely he'd have picked up more than enough points to stay up from the much easier upcoming run.

So why wouldn't you persist with him for the long term rather than bringing back 70-odd-year-old Hodgson? Seems more to it IMO.

Not really he is a poor manager and apparently board felt he lost his nerve in recent weeks

He has been poor most of his jobs and a position he never deserved

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Not really he is a poor manager and apparently board felt he lost his nerve in recent weeks

He has been poor most of his jobs and a position he never deserved

Keane, Lampard, Gerrard, Viera, Scholes. 5 of the best midfield players in PL history and not one of them has proven to be a good manager so far.

5 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Keane, Lampard, Gerrard, Viera, Scholes. 5 of the best midfield players in PL history and not one of them has proven to be a good manager so far.

They never will either people like Emery spent the majority of his career on the bench played for several clubs at different levels viewing the game from the sideline ( a different perspective to actually playing) had his eye on becoming a manager at 22 and collected notes from every manager he played under. A word Emery uses often is Humility , it takes a massive degree of Humility and mental strength to stay in love with the game when your wages are so low you struggle to pay the mortgage, you go through a career of bad injuries and spend the majority of your career playing for the b side or becoming a journey man through the lower leagues. The key difference is he stuck at it and then transitioned into an excellent manager, the names mentioned above haven’t suck at it nor are they humble enough to drop down the division to learn.

• Like 1

Just seeing they only player they've sold in the last two season is Benteke for a few million to DC United.  

Surely FFP is gonna hit them hard this summer with practically no income from player sales since 2020/21 season.  And they are going to lose Zaha for free as well so might see some starters sold this summer.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Just seeing they only player they've sold in the last two season is Benteke for a few million to DC United.  

Surely FFP is gonna hit them hard this summer with practically no income from player sales since 2020/21 season.  And they are going to lose Zaha for free as well so might see some starters sold this summer.

Their problem in that is they don't have many players who would fetch a big fee. Eze sure, a team would pay a lot for him, but probably not a great idea to sell him in the same window Zaha leaves. Beyond that, who's worth money to a PL team? Maybe Doucoure, Guehi, Olise perhaps? Not sure there's much deeper than that. 

One thing they should try and do is give youth players more minutes. They're 3rd in the top division of PL 2, with some very good youth players, but they've only given one minute to an outfield youth player in the PL this season (David Ozoh). A club like Palace can only really improve their station by giving real minutes to young players and hoping they get a particularly good batch. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Xela said:

They're a different proposition when Eze and Olise start. Happened only 5 times this season I read earlier. 

Both should be on our radar if we make Champions League.

• Like 1

Eze is a wonderful footballer, one of my favourites to watch in the league.

I wonder if Arsenal might make a move if they sell a few of their squad players, him and Odegaard in the same midfield would be ridiculous.

Man. United want Olise and he'd probably be cheaper than Mount and ten times more effective.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Palace have publicly put price tags of £60m on Eze and Olise.

Is it just me that thinks they might have gone cheap on those?

Players told the club they want's a move and Palace trying to get on top of it instead of the agents making noise?

On 17/04/2023 at 07:00, gwi1890 said:

They never will either people like Emery spent the majority of his career on the bench played for several clubs at different levels viewing the game from the sideline ( a different perspective to actually playing) had his eye on becoming a manager at 22 and collected notes from every manager he played under. A word Emery uses often is Humility , it takes a massive degree of Humility and mental strength to stay in love with the game when your wages are so low you struggle to pay the mortgage, you go through a career of bad injuries and spend the majority of your career playing for the b side or becoming a journey man through the lower leagues. The key difference is he stuck at it and then transitioned into an excellent manager, the names mentioned above haven’t suck at it nor are they humble enough to drop down the division to learn.

The key point for me. Being a player does not give you skills to be a good manager. Being a manager teaches you these things. The best ones have worked (and probably failed a few times) at places where they can work on those skills without the pressure and expectation of top flight football. 

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Palace have publicly put price tags of £60m on Eze and Olise.

Is it just me that thinks they might have gone cheap on those?

Maybe it's an injury thing? I would make damn sure our medical guys are front and centre during any due diligence. Both have had long term injuries. Admitted Eze's was in 2021, but Olise has had long spells out this year and last with hamstring injuries. 

But is it only £60m each if you buy both at the same time, buy one get one half price kind of deal?

plus, lets hope they are either unavailable on the last day or hoping we would have already secured 4th by then....fingers crossed

Edited by HongKongVillan

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think Olise will get a move before Eze, not that Eze is a bad player but Olise is younger

Personally think they're both superb options for any top half club. I wouldn't be upset if we signed either or both, just not sure where they'd fit in with our current options.

Â