$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I thought Dave Cameron was going to have a word with his rich Saudi buddies to see if he could drum up some interest. Come on Dave pull your finger out!

In all seriousness though, I am a little concerned about the lack of takeover news, but equally as we saw with the Man City takeover all it takes is some super rich guy to decide he wants to buy us and it can all happen quickly. I mean the Man City takeover happened so late in the window, that it must have been a late decision taken by Sheikh Mansoor. We just need someone of similar ilk, and with similar plans to see the light and that the light is Claret and Blue.

True but the Man City squad wasn't that bad when they took over. They had already spent quite a bit and finished around mid table.

Spending 200M on a regular relegation contender seems unlikely.

That was the 2nd takeover when the Thais bought them they wasn't that good but they invested heavily and then they was bought out again. This maybe something we need to happen get an owner in to spend a decent amount to get us top 8 then look to sell on to take us the next step. We have a good nucleus and I think with a 20/30m budget spent on 3/4 players we would easily be challenging 7th to 10th. I think Randy has decided to sell at the wrong time especially with the new TV money. A £20m investment this summer allied to a top 10 finish next year would have seen us in a better light for a sale next year.

• Like 1

Imagine we get taken over by a rich guy the day after the window closes...

That would be fine by me. It's not just about getting players in its about a complete change of plan and atmosphere generating the club.The lift of a new owner would prob be worth enough points to stay up in it self. Plus then there would be the possibility of signings in Jan.

Although we lack a lot of quality this is a much deeper problem than that in my opinion. Lerner is destroying the club and has to go asap.

Howard Hodgson has posted an update on TBAR.  I can vouch for this info and I would say it is probably the closest we are going to get in terms of knowing what the current situation is re a takeover.

I have concrete information from a senior Villa official that no sale is on the horizon and very limited funds are being afforded.. Lambert def stays.. A decision made during the USA trip where it could easily have gone either way. There was a deal but for now at least it appears to have completely stalled and Villa are preparing for the season with Lambert and the current squad plus some loan/bosman signings.

I warned him we are looking firmly at relegation and he said he admits he is fearful if we start badly the atmosphere will be awful..

I asked him "Do you think Villa will have a new owner next season" He replied he honestly didn't know but also said "Why would anyone buy a football club now. Impossible 2 make money and impossible to break top 4 with FFP". I said Liverpool had done it not spending fortunes which he acknowledged..

I also asked him where he thought Villa should be finishing as a club regularly in Prem and he said 7th but ultimately admitted the primary aim was staying up..

He also said prospective buyers looking at what has happened to Khan at Fulham will be spooked.

Pointed out we have in effect 9 new signings; Bent, Okore, Hutton, Given, CNZ, Senderos, Cole, Gardner and Grealish plus Kozak coming back with Benteke hopefully available by Sept/Oct which certainly gives our squad a more healthy, experienced look. Acknowledged the bomb squad policy adopted by Lambert was a mistake and also signing only "Young and hungry".

Keane 75% sure on joining and was Lambert's initiative which is a bold move considering Keane's dominating personality and fact he has been used to being a number 1. Still he will definitely demand more from the players and encourage a far more positive approach on the pitch so I hope he comes as its all well and good having different players but we have to adopt a far more fluid and progressive style of play on the pitch and be prepared to commit players beyond the ball. If you don't run off the ball you are left with no option but sideways, backwards, hoof and we all want to see the back of that.

Regarding the ownership its clear we have a very willing seller and potential buyers know this.. They know Lerner wants out and the longer this goes they will believe they can drive the price further and further down. We will eventually be sold but as the initial deal has broken down I am now less confident who to, or indeed when and all the points raised re FFP and a virtually impossible financial model are valid.. On the other hand if we are run properly without all the glaring mistakes, mostly in the transfer market in the high spending days then this can work for the right owner and it is one of the few big clubs in England that has the capability and potential to compete with a good infrastructure IE Stadium, training ground, academy etc all in place. Equally A mega rich individual surely wouldn't be put off by the sanctions imposed by Uefa re FFP thus far to Man City and PSG.

Bearing in mind the nature of Lerner's statement I really believed a deal was very close to being finalised. It appears it was as Mat Law, Charlie Wyatt and Neil Moxley all reported on in March but for whatever reason its broken down so now we have to hope its either revived or a suitable new party/individual comes to the table. It should be noted Lerner's takeover didn't take place till August so there is time but there is now a real possibility we will start next season with the same board, same manager and same owner and with the warning bells that have been ringing for the last four years that remains a frightening proposition!   

http://bellsareringing.forumotion.com/t785-villa-update

Hmmm........I don't think this says anything we do not already know or had worked out.

A few people including myself have fed back bits they have heard without ever claiming to be ITK that there was no imminent buyer. 

"Concrete information from a senior Villa Official"....well if you say so. More like the musings of HH summarising what everybody has already heard or knows.

The one key point we need to remember is why would any businessman pay $200m buy himself a seat at the table to lose even more more money?

No businessman in his right mind would do that today.

The only sort of buyer we can realistically get is a country backed by oil or gas (Man City) or someone who is so obsessed and is rich enough that it does not matter how much money he pumps in (Chelsea). No one will make money out of owning Aston Villa in the short to medium term and probably not in the long term either. 

Given those facts it is hardly surprising they are not queueing round the block.

• Like 2

Howard Hodgson has posted an update on TBAR.  I can vouch for this info and I would say it is probably the closest we are going to get in terms of knowing what the current situation is re a takeover.

I have concrete information from a senior Villa official that no sale is on the horizon and very limited funds are being afforded.. Lambert def stays.. A decision made during the USA trip where it could easily have gone either way. There was a deal but for now at least it appears to have completely stalled and Villa are preparing for the season with Lambert and the current squad plus some loan/bosman signings.

I warned him we are looking firmly at relegation and he said he admits he is fearful if we start badly the atmosphere will be awful..

I asked him "Do you think Villa will have a new owner next season" He replied he honestly didn't know but also said "Why would anyone buy a football club now. Impossible 2 make money and impossible to break top 4 with FFP". I said Liverpool had done it not spending fortunes which he acknowledged..

I also asked him where he thought Villa should be finishing as a club regularly in Prem and he said 7th but ultimately admitted the primary aim was staying up..

He also said prospective buyers looking at what has happened to Khan at Fulham will be spooked.

Pointed out we have in effect 9 new signings; Bent, Okore, Hutton, Given, CNZ, Senderos, Cole, Gardner and Grealish plus Kozak coming back with Benteke hopefully available by Sept/Oct which certainly gives our squad a more healthy, experienced look. Acknowledged the bomb squad policy adopted by Lambert was a mistake and also signing only "Young and hungry".

Keane 75% sure on joining and was Lambert's initiative which is a bold move considering Keane's dominating personality and fact he has been used to being a number 1. Still he will definitely demand more from the players and encourage a far more positive approach on the pitch so I hope he comes as its all well and good having different players but we have to adopt a far more fluid and progressive style of play on the pitch and be prepared to commit players beyond the ball. If you don't run off the ball you are left with no option but sideways, backwards, hoof and we all want to see the back of that.

Regarding the ownership its clear we have a very willing seller and potential buyers know this.. They know Lerner wants out and the longer this goes they will believe they can drive the price further and further down. We will eventually be sold but as the initial deal has broken down I am now less confident who to, or indeed when and all the points raised re FFP and a virtually impossible financial model are valid.. On the other hand if we are run properly without all the glaring mistakes, mostly in the transfer market in the high spending days then this can work for the right owner and it is one of the few big clubs in England that has the capability and potential to compete with a good infrastructure IE Stadium, training ground, academy etc all in place. Equally A mega rich individual surely wouldn't be put off by the sanctions imposed by Uefa re FFP thus far to Man City and PSG.

Bearing in mind the nature of Lerner's statement I really believed a deal was very close to being finalised. It appears it was as Mat Law, Charlie Wyatt and Neil Moxley all reported on in March but for whatever reason its broken down so now we have to hope its either revived or a suitable new party/individual comes to the table. It should be noted Lerner's takeover didn't take place till August so there is time but there is now a real possibility we will start next season with the same board, same manager and same owner and with the warning bells that have been ringing for the last four years that remains a frightening proposition!

Hmmm........I don't think this says anything we do not already know or had worked out.

A few people including myself have fed back bits they have heard without ever claiming to be ITK that there was no imminent buyer. 

"Concrete information from a senior Villa Official"....well if you say so. More like the musings of HH summarising what everybody has already heard or knows.

Like I said I can vouch for this info. Closest we will get to the club telling us what is going on.

Simple question is "are we an attractive proposition given the premier league is the most lucrative league in the world?"

Out of the other clubs which could be taken over are we up there as a potential "good deal"?

Newcastle

West brom

Villa

Palace

Everton

I'd say Everton are the top of that list followed by us.

A good £7m available in extra ticket sales if we can get back to 2008-9 days looking at average attendances.

At £150m maybe there's a deal to be had for someone wanting a project and happy to invest in.

One issue is that the surrounding area of vp cannot be developed like city can.

Unless they buy up land over a period of years and develop in a decade or so...

That's an issue for a potential buyer.

The one key point we need to remember is why would any businessman pay $200m buy himself a seat at the table to lose even more more money?

No businessman in his right mind would do that today.

The only sort of buyer we can realistically get is a country backed by oil or gas (Man City) or someone who is so obsessed and is rich enough that it does not matter how much money he pumps in (Chelsea). No one will make money out of owning Aston Villa in the short to medium term and probably not in the long term either. 

Given those facts it is hardly surprising they are not queueing round the block.

Exactly..... the distasteful choice between KGB linked economic criminality or 3rd world oppression. No thanks.

What worries me is that potential buyers seem to be waiting for the price to drop by 20-30 million. I mean, if you are that rich, surely 20-30 million is like small change?

I can't help but feel we will experience deja vu and will get some rich American buying us, promising us all this and that, only to jack it all in after 5 or 6 years of not being able to break the top four.

What worries me is that potential buyers seem to be waiting for the price to drop by 20-30 million. I mean, if you are that rich, surely 20-30 million is like small change?

I can't help but feel we will experience deja vu and will get some rich American buying us, promising us all this and that, only to jack it all in after 5 or 6 years of not being able to break the top four.

No. As has been said countless times, they didn't get rich by being reckless with their money.

Edited by Mantis

Like I said I can vouch for this info. Closest we will get to the club telling us what is going on.

I hope you don't take offence...but what info ? - What he has said there is a conclusion that many of us had already arrived at ? - The deal collapsed at the last minute can never be proved or disproved - but its a convenient cover for a lot of ITK'S - To be fair to HH he didn't claim to be ITK - he always thought the takeover was going through this june/july  that now looks unlikley

No offence taken at all. I would be the same. I mean info that is not rumour or itk twitter nonsense. It is obvious who told him the info. Info we can all deduce given the current situation but nontheless factual info for the most part. I, like other fans, were convinced something was close. This debunks that.

the thing is,who really knows whats going on.i personally don't think anyone at the club really knows not even faulkner/lambert,after all they're just employees.randy does not care anymore and i don't think he would necessarily tell them what is going on not everything anyway.i think if we do get taken over this summer it will be at a similar time to when randy took us over.

• Like 1