$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

What's to say a takeover wasn't close when he made that statement?

Who cares if it was, he should've waited until it was guaranteed before coming out to say his goodbyes and effectively making his ownership untenable by admitting that he can't take us forward and hasn't the heart to do so.

Instead of doing this anyway but saying nothing?

Yep, pretty much.

if we hadn't had the 'club for sale stuff' would we now be happier we had brought the bomb squad back and signed a couple of experienced players?

Has the proposed sale basically taken the heat off Lambert and our dire transfer policy?

To me Lerner saying he is selling has provided the perfect distraction for everything bad that has happened or is happening and also from anything good that is or might occur.

Who cares if it was, he should've waited until it was guaranteed before coming out to say his goodbyes and effectively making his ownership untenable by admitting that he can't take us forward and hasn't the heart to do so.

Instead of doing this anyway but saying nothing?

Yep, pretty much.

Hmm I'm the opposite I'm actually glad he has said he doesn't have the heart for it anymore etc.

Seems the honest truth for once without all the PR and I accept it for what it is and i'm glad he came out and said so.

He didn't make false promises in his statement or anything either.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

You could deduce from Lerner's statement that a sale was not immediately imminent, however much we would like to believe otherwise. I still have some hope that we will be sold before September though.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

You could deduce from Lerner's statement that a sale was not immediately imminent, however much we would like to believe otherwise. I still have some hope that we will be sold before September though.

Not really. Lerner's statement was very vague (probably deliberately so) and there was speculation over whether it pointed towards an imminent sale or not.

Fact is we just don't know what the circumstances were at the time of the announcement. We don't even know what's going on now really.

Not really. Lerner's statement was very vague (probably deliberately so) and there was speculation over whether it pointed towards an imminent sale or not.

I agree with the vagueness of the statement, but if you look back at the third paragraph it pretty much confirms that the takeover will not happen imminently. Lerner wrote - "On a practical level, the Club will continue with its normal operations and plans for the summer." -  This has been backed up by the Senderos and Cole signings. I do not think there was a deal lined up when that statement was published.

We don't even know what's going on now really.

Agreed. Things can change very quickly, and progress could be being made right now on a deal. We need to be patience.

I agree with the vagueness of the statement, but if you look back at the third paragraph it pretty much confirms that the takeover will not happen imminently. Lerner wrote - "On a practical level, the Club will continue with its normal operations and plans for the summer." -  This has been backed up by the Senderos and Cole signings. I do not think there was a deal lined up when that statement was published.

That doesn't confirm anything. It's just common sense really. You always plan things as normal no matter how sure you are about a takeover - it would be absolutely stupid not to.

From what i recall fans were screaming for Lerner to confirm something towards the end of last season. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Not at all. We are waiting for a confirmation that the club is sold. Which is kind of the logical next step.

He should not have confirmed the club is for sale unless a takeover was close. Even if it were true. Everything is always for sale anyway. It's just a matter of finding the right price.

What? Randy Lerner can't decide what he can and cannot do with something that is his?

If he wants to say it's for sale then he can do. He has to accept the conseuqences fo his actions whatever they may be good or bad.

there were so many rumours flying around that people were asking for clarification. He gave it and now everyone's unhappy about that. Tough!

Of course he can. That's well within his rights. Just as complaining is well within our rights :-)

Nobody knows what will happen and when it will happen, but once the club has been sold all this waiting will be forgotten.

It's just a bunch of people who cares too much, gets too little information and have too much time available to read and write here.

I think all this complaining is healthy. It proves that we care.

That doesn't confirm anything. It's just common sense really. You always plan things as normal no matter how sure you are about a takeover - it would be absolutely stupid not to.

I do not believe Lerner would have added that sentence into his statement if there was a deal "imminent". I think this was always going to take a few months to be concluded. Well that is my interpretation of Lerner's statement in hindsight, it may very well be wrong.    

Tomorrow wasn't it? If it was today then today still has over 9 hours left so bit of a pointless post that.

I'll await an announcement at 11.59pm then.

Well that's just silly.

The statement was deliberately ambiguous, or written by a fool with a thesaurus. I don't believe RL is a fool, just not the sharpest millionaire business man.

RL bought PL some time by promising a statement was imminent. When it came, it was open to interpretation. He mugged us all off pretending there was big news around the corner when it turned out all he was telling us was what we already knew.

Personally, I think this could take a very long time. Unfortunately, the longer it goes on the more chance there is of Lerner accepting an offer from some dubious 'businessman' with an ego as big as the list of grubby allegations that inevitably follows him around. 

I'm not one that needs the club sold to the world's richest philanthropist so we win the quadruple in 2 years time. I just want a fighting chance, entertainment and a bloody good go at staying in the Prem. Unfortunately I'm not feeling in a happy place about this wish list at the moment.

• Like 3

I just want a fighting chance, entertainment and a bloody good go at staying in the Prem.

So the club needs to be sold to the world's richest philanthropist?  ;) 

Edited by GENTLEMAN