$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I thought Dave Cameron was going to have a word with his rich Saudi buddies to see if he could drum up some interest. Come on Dave pull your finger out!

In all seriousness though, I am a little concerned about the lack of takeover news, but equally as we saw with the Man City takeover all it takes is some super rich guy to decide he wants to buy us and it can all happen quickly. I mean the Man City takeover happened so late in the window, that it must have been a late decision taken by Sheikh Mansoor. We just need someone of similar ilk, and with similar plans to see the light and that the light is Claret and Blue.

True but the Man City squad wasn't that bad when they took over. They had already spent quite a bit and finished around mid table.

Spending 200M on a regular relegation contender seems unlikely.

I don't think he was overly concerned with the players they had, only the players they were going to buy. I wouldn't be surprised if he got someone to put all prem teams in a hat and he just happened to pick City, what happened to them could have happened to anyone in the league that was even slightly for sale, if he was a couple of years earlier it could have been us

I think the previous Man City owner got into a few legal problems, which meant that he needed to sell the club, and they got lucky with the timing of Sheikh Mansoors interest in a football club. If only he had been interested in a club when Doug was selling up. Oh well.

They did already have the brand new stadium and the name of a city will known in world football.

Did City own their stadium before the takeover? I thought Manchester City council owned it then (and now?).  Aston Villa are well known globally and have some of the best infrastructure in the land, I do not think the things you have mentioned will deter a potential bidder from acquiring this club. 

In my opinion, the issues regarding a sale will be Lerner's asking price and the FFP rules (depending on the type of investor).

I think you are right, it was the old Commonwealth Games stadium which was owned by the council. I don't know about the ownership now, but I would guess that Man City have bought it since, especially as they are looking to expand it now.

Those FFP rules are probably the main issue, as has been covered before. Hands are tied for investors, they are not allowed to pump mooney into a club to make it competitive anymore which is ridiculous imo.

It's not like selling a car FFS. What's he supposed to do?

To be fair not having a buyer is not an issue, however the way we are being run and have been for the past two years is nothing but a disgrace. It's like Kenwright at Everton saying I can't sell you, so what I'll do is I'll just wash my hands and let the manager who has been struggling as it is along with an inept CEO run the club. If we do not get a decent start, I can see us being in for a long hard season.

Not announcing to the world that he's fed up of owning Aston Villa, leaving the club in complete limbo with no takeover on the horizon would have been a good start? 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Not announcing to the world that he's fed up of owning Aston Villa, leaving the club in complete limbo with no takeover on the horizon would have been a good start? 

How do you know there isn't/wasn't a takeover on the horizon?

I can only assume a deal collapsed and the message Lerner sent out was when he was confident of a sale going through.

There's not much he can do now apart from maybe accept less money.

Heard he's off to Southampton

There was a rumour a few weeks back that Mancini wants to return to England, it actually came from another poster on VT :)  I thought it was strange because Mancini said two days ago that he is staying with Galatasaray next season. Maybe a takeover is on!?  ;)

From what i recall fans were screaming for Lerner to confirm something towards the end of last season. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Yes. But only after his initial statement that was extremely vague, people wanted clarification.

Heard he's off to Southampton

There was a rumour a few weeks back that Mancini wants to return to England, it actually came from another poster on VT :)  I thought it was strange because Mancini said two days ago that he is staying with Galatasaray next season. Maybe a takeover is on!?  ;)

Southampton

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

From what i recall fans were screaming for Lerner to confirm something towards the end of last season. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Not at all. We are waiting for a confirmation that the club is sold. Which is kind of the logical next step.

He should not have confirmed the club is for sale unless a takeover was close. Even if it were true. Everything is always for sale anyway. It's just a matter of finding the right price.

What's to say a takeover wasn't close when he made that statement?

Who cares if it was, he should've waited until it was guaranteed before coming out to say his goodbyes and effectively making his ownership untenable by admitting that he can't take us forward and hasn't the heart to do so.

What's to say a takeover wasn't close when he made that statement?

Who cares if it was, he should've waited until it was guaranteed before coming out to say his goodbyes and effectively making his ownership untenable by admitting that he can't take us forward and hasn't the heart to do so.

Instead of doing this anyway but saying nothing?

Not at all. We are waiting for a confirmation that the club is sold. Which is kind of the logical next step.

He should not have confirmed the club is for sale unless a takeover was close. Even if it were true. Everything is always for sale anyway. It's just a matter of finding the right price.

What? Randy Lerner can't decide what he can and cannot do with something that is his?

If he wants to say it's for sale then he can do. He has to accept the conseuqences fo his actions whatever they may be good or bad.

there were so many rumours flying around that people were asking for clarification. He gave it and now everyone's unhappy about that. Tough!