$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Not really. Lerner's statement was very vague (probably deliberately so) and there was speculation over whether it pointed towards an imminent sale or not.

I agree with the vagueness of the statement, but if you look back at the third paragraph it pretty much confirms that the takeover will not happen imminently. Lerner wrote - "On a practical level, the Club will continue with its normal operations and plans for the summer." -  This has been backed up by the Senderos and Cole signings. I do not think there was a deal lined up when that statement was published.

That doesn't confirm anything. It's just common sense really. You always plan things as normal no matter how sure you are about a takeover - it would be absolutely stupid not to.

In fact, I think the brevity of that statement is a strong indicator that a deal was close.  If there is not deal on the near horizon, you MUST emphasize in your statement that the club will continue to.....work efficiently toward a more successful season next year.....staff and player needs will be assessed and addressed.... resources to improve the team are better having held down costs..... blah, blah blah.   even if it's all BS you MUST say it and emphasize it in order to keep at least an appearance of stability.    The fact that he didn't emphasize the steps being taken to keep the club moving forward was, to me, solid evidence that he didn't expect this limbo to last long.  In addition to the fact that the rest sounded like a sad, sentimental farewell..... not a business announcement of a sale.

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

Can someone tell me what were the news that came out about this, over the last few weeks? Any rumoured names or something like that?

Just about EVERY billionaire in the United States of America rumoured to be (or not to be) interested in buying this sorry state of a football club. Oh, and throw in the odd kazakhstan warlord and a reputedly filthy rich sheik for good measure.

That about sums it up, I'd say.

• Like 1

Not really. Lerner's statement was very vague (probably deliberately so) and there was speculation over whether it pointed towards an imminent sale or not.

I agree with the vagueness of the statement, but if you look back at the third paragraph it pretty much confirms that the takeover will not happen imminently. Lerner wrote - "On a practical level, the Club will continue with its normal operations and plans for the summer." - This has been backed up by the Senderos and Cole signings. I do not think there was a deal lined up when that statement was published.

That doesn't confirm anything. It's just common sense really. You always plan things as normal no matter how sure you are about a takeover - it would be absolutely stupid not to.

In fact, I think the brevity of that statement is a strong indicator that a deal was close. If there is not deal on the near horizon, you MUST emphasize in your statement that the club will continue to.....work efficiently toward a more successful season next year.....staff and player needs will be assessed and addressed.... resources to improve the team are better having held down costs..... blah, blah blah. even if it's all BS you MUST say it and emphasize it in order to keep at least an appearance of stability. The fact that he didn't emphasize the steps being taken to keep the club moving forward was, to me, solid evidence that he didn't expect this limbo to last long. In addition to the fact that the rest sounded like a sad, sentimental farewell..... not a business announcement of a sale.

Or maybe. Just maybe, he doesn't give a shit!

I agree with the vagueness of the statement, but if you look back at the third paragraph it pretty much confirms that the takeover will not happen imminently. Lerner wrote - "On a practical level, the Club will continue with its normal operations and plans for the summer." -  This has been backed up by the Senderos and Cole signings. I do not think there was a deal lined up when that statement was published.

We don't even know what's going on now really.

Agreed. Things can change very quickly, and progress could be being made right now on a deal. We need to be patience.

That last comment is so Zen.  I love it.

Going by his previous tweets it'll probably be that Arif was interested but has been put off by the price tag. Wonder what the goodish news aspect of the story will be though? Unless Arif withdrawing interest is meant to be the good news.

Interesting that he's putting it to the relevant parties first. Only thing I can think is they've agreed a date to announce a deal is done and given him the exclusive which they want to vet first. [/optimism]

Last time he sought confirmation or a denial from both parties and received neither apparently. So probably a case of he's got more info from his source and will again get them to confirm or deny, and they'll probably ignore his request again and remain silent.

Why do people assume that just because someone is rich that must mean they don't care about losing money?

I think if you are rich then you don't look to the Premier League to become richer. You look to the Premier League for global recogination and status and to back that up you must be willing to make losses to some degree.

I think the people who are after making money in football are probably looking at the Championship clubs and hope for a cash windfall by getting promoted.

Obviously I could be wrong because to understand a rich mans mindset and logic you have to be a rich man. Which I am very not. :)

• Like 2

Did this go under the radar on the 7th June?

Mr Tevfik Arif has today asked us to make it clear that other than being an avid sports fan himself, he: has no experience of running football clubs; has never met Randy Lerner; and neither he, nor any members of his family, or anyone acting on his behalf has any interest in acquiring Aston Villa Football Club; in addition, he has no involvement in any sports related businesses.  We are happy to set out Mr Arif’s position.

• Like 1

Mr Tevfik Arif has today asked us to make it clear that other than being an avid sports fan himself, he: has no experience of running football clubs; has never met Randy Lerner; and neither he, nor any members of his family, or anyone acting on his behalf has any interest in acquiring Aston Villa Football Club; in addition, he has no involvement in any sports related businesses. We are happy to set out Mr Arif’s position.

Where's that from? Sounds like he is interested. Edited by Amo69

Mr Tevfik Arif has today asked us to make it clear that other than being an avid sports fan himself, he: has no experience of running football clubs; has never met Randy Lerner; and neither he, nor any members of his family, or anyone acting on his behalf has any interest in acquiring Aston Villa Football Club; in addition, he has no involvement in any sports related businesses. We are happy to set out Mr Arif’s position.

Where's that from? Sounds like he is interested.

From the original article by Russ Lynch, he updated it on the 7th with that paragraph.