Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Strictly speaking, she didn't.  Her hand did, and it's not 100% a given that she has any knowledge of it.  It could be another level of GoT double cross, as per one of the many YT videos I've watched in the aftermath.

She probably would have except the actors aren't allowed film scenes together 😉

I have a sneaky suspicion that GRRM is holding the book(s) back until the show is over. Is it too much to hope that he's been paid by HBO to wait until the show can't be spoiled than it was originally when it came out? 

I’ve only read the first book but you can tell when they catch up they’ll be ten times what the show is at this point. 

Whilst I still think it’s a great show, the writing clearly went downhill once it overtook the books (and turned everything up to 100mph)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

but when @villa4europe says the "White Walkers are useless" he's talking about the sentient ones that just stand there doing nothing. Yes a horde of tens of thousands of undead Wights are going to be somewhat of a threat, but they aren't the White Walkers who are useless.

PS. In my strategy break down I ignored that the humans also had a Castle and fortified walls to hide behind. Stick the Unsullied on those walls with those spears and no one is climbing over. Stick the Unsullied in the Courtyard and no one is getting much further than breaking down the front door. 

yep that's exactly what I meant, didn't do a thing in the battle

and the trailer for episode 5 shows the golden company outside the front of the kingslanding city walls that are lined with scorpions so im guessing they haven't learned much

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve only read the first book but you can tell when they catch up they’ll be ten times what the show is at this point. 

They actually suffer from the opposite problem, IMO. While the show is rushed, the books become increasingly verbose. almost gratuitously so.

By the middle of book 4, I started to have my doubts, during book 5, it was clear he really needed a stronger editor. To an extent it makes me sympathise with the show writers, now that you've posted this, because the guy who was meant to have finished these books several years ago has been working on the next book for 10 bloody years, and it's clear to everyone that he hasn't a **** clue how to tie all of this together. He knows what the ending is, but not how to get there...Which might explain the last couple of seasons. "So George, what happens next?"

Image result for unsure gif

The first 2 books are brilliant. I'm ambivalent about the third, on the whole, then in 4 and 5, he's almost Tolkienesque in how he can go on and on for pages without anything happening. As for A Dance with Dragons...someone might enjoy that book, but I've never met them.

There's brilliance in there at times, but I was skimming the further I got through it.

My guess is Rhaegal isn’t dead. 

The fact Cersei asks “are you sure it’s dead” (or words to that effect) immediately made me think they were setting something up. 

My guess would be Jon finds it somewhere, or something happens and Jon ends up on it. At some point him and Auntie will have a Dragon-off. 

On 07/05/2019 at 09:19, Davkaus said:

It was definitely a shock, and like so many other recent scenes, in the moment I was absolutely hooked. It was only taking a minute to think about it after the credits rolled that I thought "hang on a minute...How many times is she going to let Euron's fleet sneak up on her?".

I also like that they wanted the parley scene so much, they changed the geography of Kings Landing to make it happen. Remember the great tactician, Stannis, knowing it was impossible to assault King Landing on foot, hence the battle of the Blackwater?  No? The directors don't either. :lol:

Image result for kings landing

The tide was obviously out.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They actually suffer from the opposite problem, IMO. While the show is rushed, the books become increasingly verbose. almost gratuitously so.

By the middle of book 4, I started to have my doubts, during book 5, it was clear he really needed a stronger editor. To an extent it makes me sympathise with the show writers, now that you've posted this, because the guy who was meant to have finished these books several years ago has been working on the next book for 10 bloody years, and it's clear to everyone that he hasn't a **** clue how to tie all of this together. He knows what the ending is, but not how to get there...Which might explain the last couple of seasons. "So George, what happens next?"

Image result for unsure gif

The first 2 books are brilliant. I'm ambivalent about the third, on the whole, then in 4 and 5, he's almost Tolkienesque in how he can go on and on for pages without anything happening. As for A Dance with Dragons...someone might enjoy that book, but I've never met them.

There's brilliance in there at times, but I was skimming the further I got through it.

I was concerned that I was the only one thinking this.  One of the reasons I liked the TV show is that it cut out a lot of the really tedious stuff that padded out the books.  I like an epic novel and all, but I gave up on this series as I got bored of reading pages and pages of nothing.  I remember the moment I realised how bored I was as I read a description of a parade of knights I think at a tournament (can't remember the book).  Each knight as they passed had a detailed description of the horse they were on, the armor the horse was wearing, a description of the rider, the armor, the sword, the shield, the cloak the embroidery, the crest and on and on for knight after knight.  It was literal pages of nothing but a detailed description of what everyone was wearing, which is fine if you are giving direction to a wardrobe department on a TV show, but to keep a reader engaged was a massive fail.  To give a single character the detail treatment is fine and dandy, but when I realised he was going to do it for the whole damn parade I started skipping forward, then eventually putting the book down never to return.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I've seen a few theories going round that euron has seen more dragons. I wonder if we will see some baby dragons coming? 

It'd be interesting, but it'd feel incredibly cheap to be introduced so late.  One of the things that made Dany so special was bringing back dragons, and now there are just other ones around, for reasons? I can't see it happening.

Book spoilers:

Spoiler

Book Euron is a badass, he wears full valyrian steel armour, the only person to do so, has captured warlocks on his ships, that appear to have magic that some think let's him him summon the storms that allow Euron to ambush his opponents.

Linked to your point, he also has a horn that legends say can control dragons. He's an awesome character compared to the TV show's bargain bin Jack Sparrow.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

I was concerned that I was the only one thinking this.  One of the reasons I liked the TV show is that it cut out a lot of the really tedious stuff that padded out the books.  I like an epic novel and all, but I gave up on this series as I got bored of reading pages and pages of nothing.  I remember the moment I realised how bored I was as I read a description of a parade of knights I think at a tournament (can't remember the book).  Each knight as they passed had a detailed description of the horse they were on, the armor the horse was wearing, a description of the rider, the armor, the sword, the shield, the cloak the embroidery, the crest and on and on for knight after knight.  It was literal pages of nothing but a detailed description of what everyone was wearing, which is fine if you are giving direction to a wardrobe department on a TV show, but to keep a reader engaged was a massive fail.  To give a single character the detail treatment is fine and dandy, but when I realised he was going to do it for the whole damn parade I started skipping forward, then eventually putting the book down never to return.

I even had to skim through your description of GRRM's description.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It'd be interesting, but it'd feel incredibly cheap to be introduced so late.  One of the things that made Dany so special was bringing back dragons, and now there are just other ones around, for reasons? I can't see it happening.

Book spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Book Euron is a badass, he wears full valyrian steel armour, the only person to do so, has captured warlocks on his ships, that appear to have magic that some think let's him him summon the storms that allow Euron to ambush his opponents.

Linked to your point, he also has a horn that legends say can control dragons. He's an awesome character compared to the TV show's bargain bin Jack Sparrow.

Why didn't they just do the stuff in your spoiler tag there? It would have been far better from a plot perspective, and would have avoided the ridiculousness of him constantly surprising people with the largest fleet ever created. 

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why didn't they just do the stuff in your spoiler tag there? It would have been far better from a plot perspective, and would have avoided the ridiculousness of him constantly surprising people with the largest fleet ever created. 

Image result for shrug gif

They've used some of his traits, but not really done him justice. There was the barely-noticed part during the ship battle when Yara is captured for example, when his crewmen are cutting the tongues out of their captured enemies. Euron does this personally in the books, he mans his crews with his captured prisoners from his raids, and rips out their tongues so they can't plot or mutiny.

They just missed out a lot of the other stuff, and turned him in to Euron, the chlamydia pirate, who likes to crack jokes about fingers up the bum, and always somehow turns up in the right place.

Spoiler

For a bit more context, he's said to have raped and tortured his younger brothers as children, and murdered a couple of them. His family are absolutely terrified when he returns to the iron islands, and consider fleeing as soon as it's known that he'shome.

There are also links to the three eyed raven and the Others (the books version of the 'white walkers'). A red priestess sees a vision of Euron in her flames, as a sea beast with a giant red eye and hundreds of tentacles. The theory is he's destined to raise a kraken. 

He's literally shaping up to be the biggest bad guy of all. Whether that reveals that none of it actually happens, or that the books will just end completely differently to the show, who knows. I mean, the Night King isn't even a thing in the books, so it's basically a different story at this point.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

Watching old clips online and Charles Dance brought an acting credibility to the show. Since losing his character and not hiring proper actors of his skill it has gone downhill

• Like 2

Â