Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

You know what? I read all the leaks of how this series would end after last week's episode as I came to the conclusion that I'm no longer that invested in this show as the writing is now terrible, and after having time to digest it and get over how stupid the whole thing is, I kinda enjoyed that.

Without the book material it's been shit.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He's still bitter about dropping his ice cream. 

Me'Sundae didn't care that Grey Worm had part of his body cut off and still wanted to sleep with him .

Will Grey Worm do the same ?

12 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Well, that was pretty awful stuff.

All that great character building for that.

Disappointed.

Couldn't agree more, some of the deaths were about as unsatisfying as you can get. Worst of all is what they have done to Dany, just not the same character as in built up over the last 7 series....

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Couldn't agree more, some of the deaths were about as unsatisfying as you can get. Worst of all is what they have done to Dany, just not the same character as in built up over the last 7 series....

Isn’t that the point? Paranoia and power making even the purest turn.

Yes, she’s done good things on her journey over to Westeros, but she’s power hungry. She’s vengeful. She’s relentless. It was a matter of time.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Worst of all is what they have done to Dany, just not the same character as in built up over the last 7 series....

Come on. How many times has she given the whole "bend the knee or die" speech? Even fighting against the dead was a means to the end of getting her on the throne.

For years, she's believed she can return to Westeros, where people have secretly been waiting for the return of the true heir to the throne, and help them cast of the chains of the pretenders who usurped her family. She was brought up on tales of how it's only the fear of Robert the tyrant that keep the people down, and thinks they'll love her, just as the freed slaved of Essos did.

For a couple of seasons now, we've seen how disillusioned she is that the people already have lords/kings/queens they follow, and that actually, few people really care about the Targaryans anymore. 

Things have really ramped up as she sees people considering Jon to be a true leader and king, even without knowing his claim, she finds out she's not even the true heir, loses her second 'child', and all of her most trusted advisors either die or betray her. Finally the last person she thought she could trust, the only person she loves, holds back and she sees she can only even get him to follow her through fear, rather than love. 

For too long she's held back on ruling through fear at the behest of Varys and Tyrion, and realises she's never going to win the love of the people of Westeros the way she did in Essos.

It could certainly have taken a few more episodes. Everything in this season could. But this was always where the mad queen was going. 

• Like 4

Weird one that.

I hated the first half of it. Battle scenes were shit and the effects for once looked dreadful. Looked like a cartoon at times.

However I thought the second half was much better. Once Dany turned it was decent.

Not sure I understand why people are complaining about Dany being out of character. That's surely the entire point? She's gone mad just like her father did. "Burn them all!"
She's descended into everything she said she never would be, which has been hinted at for a while.
My only problem with it was it happened so quickly. Like much of this season it all just seemed rush. Dany's spiral into madness seems like something that should have happened over an entire season at least, not half an hour.

I liked the chaos of being in the city during the dragon going mental. By far the best parts of the episode were the bits with Arya I think. They were the only ones that made me feel tense and uncomfortable.

I don't have an issue with Cleganebowl. It makes perfect sense for them to have squared off. I was far more bothered by Jamie and Euron's fight. Pointless.

My big issue with everything is it's so **** rushed. Cersei is just gone like the NK in a second. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:
  Hide contents

Varys got a completely pointless betrayal and death

Cersei all the build up and that was it. Her sons and father got better endings

Cleaganebowl was crap as expected

Also what was the point of Arya in this episode, she could have all her scenes cut to make way for something interesting. dreadful episode 

I thought the bits with Arya were amongst the best.

I think they're building her up to kill Dany. Or at least try. I assume her bits were her getting more and more shocked and disgusted with what Dany was doing so she'll want to kill her.

Not sure what the horse was about though.

• Like 2

I honestly expected Cersei to purposely have rigged the Red Keep to blow with wild fire as soon as she knew the game was up. I suppose you could argue it was overconfidence and she never considered losing, but she just had no plan at all, which seemed a bit odd.

I also expected Tyrion to be Dany's undoing, telling Jaime about the surrender plan, him telling Cersei, and her 'surrendering', then somehow turning it to her advantage and slaughtering the northern army and unsullied as soon as they strode in to the Red Keep to claim the throne. I'd have enjoyed that :P 

Edited by Davkaus

Just now, Davkaus said:

I honestly expected Cersei to purposely have rigged the Red Keep to blow with wild fire as soon as she knew the game was up.

I suppose you could argue it was overconfidence and she never considered losing, but she just had no plan at all, which seemed a bit odd.

Once confronted with her own mortality she completely melted. Seeing Jaime turned her back into a frightened little girl. She became human again. I like the fact the 2 opposing Queens seemingly reversed roles.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

By far the best parts of the episode were the bits with Arya I think. They were the only ones that made me feel tense and uncomfortable.

I'm not saying you're wrong, horses (ha) for courses, and all that, but I hated almost all of her scenes. No matter how many other characters died, and whatever the odds against her, I never felt for a moment she'd die. The writers love her and have long since set her up to be the hero of the show.

I didn't buy her suddenly being overwhelmed and filled with compassion other the senseless deaths after everything she's seen and done over the years, either. 

Also couldn't get past that big-eared detective from the last series of Line of Duty being the innocent bystander.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'm not saying you're wrong (horses (ha) for courses, and all that, but I hated almost all of her scenes. No matter how many other characters died, and whatever the odds against her, I never felt for a moment she'd die. The writers love her and have long since set her up to be the hero of the show.

I didn't buy her suddenly being overwhelmed and filled with compassion other the senseless deaths after everything she's seen and done over the years, either. 

Also couldn't get past that big-eared detective from the last series of Line of Duty being the innocent bystander.

Oh I never thought she'd die either. I've kinda got used to Game of Thrones not giving us big unexpected deaths anymore.

It was more about everyone else in the city. It was just seeing it from her perspective. Those were the only scenes where you felt the real panic and helplessness of being in something like that. You were almost seeing it from the perspective of the innocents as opposed to the soldiers like everything else (yeah I know it was from Arya's perspective, but you saw a lot of how the innocents were trying to survive, and failing)

I dunno, that bit just connected to me. There wasn't as much CGI and stuff, it just felt uncomfortable.

A bit like that scene in the battle of the bastards where Jon nearly gets crushed to death. It wasn't a spectacular part of the episode but it looked at a battle in a slightly different way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Thought I recognised her from somewhere!

• Like 1

Biggest gripe is them rushing the plot and omitting the part between last week and this where Dany went to that big eff-off Maester library and hired out "Air Superiority For Dummies".

Calling it now: Samwell to be sent to kill her after the overdue book fine reaches Braavosion proportions.

Edited by GarethRDR

Â