Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's old, but it only gets more accurate as the episodes go by...

spoiler-filled-memes-for-the-game-of-thr

I think s01 and s02 are so over hyped. Picks up mainly end of 2 and 3for me. 

Not sure why s06 gets slated so much the battle fo the bastards is one of my favourite fight sequences. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure why s06 gets slated so much the battle fo the bastards is one of my favourite fight sequences. 

Because for lots of people it's not just about fight sequences.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I liked it but alot of it was so stupid

Hide contents

The fleet kills the dragon one week very easily then the next it get obliterated within a minute. 

Then the army is completely unprepared for the dragon coming from the back of the castle. What a farce. 

The point of arya this week travelling down to be told by the hound to leave seems pointless unless it was only for arya to witness danys betrayal. Then try take her out next week. 

Also cersai just seems so watered down this season her role was just utterly pointless. 

I have a feeling daenys will execute tyrion next week. 

Tbh daenys should die brutally next week as she has shown no mercy before. Either they set her alight like she did to so many or behead her. 

I agree with you 100% about how ridiculous the contrast was with the power of the dragon. What frustrates me most about this season is how the biggest problems are ones like these that are fully down to the writers, there was absolutely no need for it to be like this. Even given the (self-imposed) 6 episode constraint, it could have been so much better.

It's amazing how often you can just look in this thread or on Reddit and see a much better way of writing it, but I saw the suggestion that instead of a dragon dying pointlessly to Euron's aimbot last week, then the other becoming invincible this week, they both should have lived to assault King' Landing. They easily defeat the armies, Kings Landing surrenders, then as the dragons land, Qyburn/Euron have one scorpion left, and fire it at and kill one of the dragons. This is what pushes Danaerys over the edge.

It makes the death and the battle far more plausible, adds weight to the losses that Dany suffers in the battle, and would have worked far better as the event to trigger Dany's sacking of the city.

Sadly, the writers seem to have phoned it in so they can wrap it all up on time to make Star Wars. **** them.

The point of arya this week travelling down to be told by the hound to leave seems pointless unless it was only for arya to witness danys betrayal. Then try take her out next week. 

I don't fully agree with this, I think, depending on where her character goes next, it could be necessary to prevent Arya continuing down the road of death and vengeance. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think s01 and s02 are so over hyped. Picks up mainly end of 2 and 3for me. 

I think we like this show for completely the opposite reason. Battle of the Bastards was great for what it was, but I doubt it's in my top 10 episodes. The intrigue from season 1 and 2 is what made me fall in love with this show, not grand Hollywood choreography and special effects.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I think we like this show for completely the opposite reason. Battle of the Bastards was great for what it was, but I doubt it's in my top 10 episodes. The intrigue from season 1 and 2 is what made me fall in love with this show, not grand Hollywood choreography and special effects.

I liked ned stark but for me the season had so much waffle and a lot of boring parts. 

I guess it's what peoples tastes are. 

As for this year I do think it's bene badly written and rushed could ahve been so much better. 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's amazing how often you can just look in this thread or on Reddit and see a much better way of writing it, but I saw the suggestion that instead of a dragon dying pointlessly to Euron's aimbot last week, then the other becoming invincible this week, they both should have lived to assault King' Landing. They easily defeat the armies, Kings Landing surrenders, then as the dragons land, Qyburn/Euron have one scorpion left, and fire it at and kill one of the dragons. This is what pushes Danaerys over the edge.

It makes the death and the battle far more plausible, adds weight to the losses that Dany suffers in the battle, and would have worked far better as the event to trigger Dany's sacking of the city.

I saw this but it doesn't make sense IMO. Dany decided she was going to burn the city down before the fight. She didn't snap there and then. Powerful rulers are either loved or feared. She realised she would never be loved like Jon, so she chose fear (she even said that to Jon)

The 'Mad Queen' storyline isn't bad, it was just rushed so it looks instantaneous. Maybe watching the entire series again, it will be clearer. Dany did always want to burn shit down though and her advisors kept her in check. They were all dead or betrayed her at the time of ep5.

Everything that happens now is to push the story forward. There's so much lazy writing (not showing the moment where Jon tells Sansa/Arya about his parentage being a huge example here) that it's ruined the show for me. The writing just used to be so good.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I saw this but it doesn't make sense IMO. Dany decided she was going to burn the city down before the fight. She didn't snap there and then. Powerful rulers are either loved or feared. She realised she would never be loved like Jon, so she chose fear (she even said that to Jon)

The 'Mad Queen' storyline isn't bad, it was just rushed so it looks instantaneous. Maybe watching the entire series again, it will be clearer. Dany did always want to burn shit down though and her advisors kept her in check. They were all dead or betrayed her at the time of ep5.

Yep exactly what I meant.

You knew from her first scene in this episode that the mad queen storyline was happening. They telegraphed it massively.

The fact that it happened so quickly was what made it shit. That was something that should have happened over a whole season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The 'Mad Queen' storyline isn't bad, it was just rushed so it looks instantaneous. Maybe watching the entire series again, it will be clearer.

She was saying stuff like "when my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground" back in Season 2.

It's just been convenient for us as viewers that she's allied with people who are more honourable against people we don't like.

But in a slightly alternate timeline, she's still laying waste to the city of benevolent King Renly and Queen Margaery while Ned and Robb Stark get roasted by her dragons trying to defend the walls.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Fair enough but others like a bit of action and not so much waffle. 

Then I think they're watching the wrong show.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I saw this but it doesn't make sense IMO. Dany decided she was going to burn the city down before the fight. She didn't snap there and then.

The way I remember it, the battle is won, she lands the dragon and surveys the city, and she looked fairly chilled out and relaxed, then she just seems to decide to raze the place.

The foreshadowing was certainly there (see my earlier posts on the last couple of pages) and it's fully within character over the course of the show, but during that scene it felt to me like it would have made more sense if there was one final thing to actually push her over. 

• Like 1

Thought the Mad queen thing was always going to happen, even before this season.

The Targaryens going mad thing has been brought up so many times, and Dany has been on the brink and talked down for seasons.

Out of all the things that's been rushed over the past 3 or so seasons, this doesn't really rank that high.

But as always the show failed to explain how much time passed from when she got to Winterfell to when she burned Kings Landing. Lots of time to go 

Bildresultat för homer go crazy gif

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Thought the Mad queen thing was always going to happen, even before this season.

The Targaryens going mad thing has been brought up so many times, and Dany has been on the brink and talked down for seasons.

Out of all the things that's been rushed over the past 3 or so seasons, this doesn't really rank that high.

But as always the show failed to explain how much time passed from when she got to Winterfell to when she burned Kings Landing. Lots of time to go 

Bildresultat för homer go crazy gif

Yep it was always going to happen. But that doesn't mean her motivation was always there.

She has, up until this season, or even this episode, seemed to be relatively calm. Yes it's taken some wise words from some noble advisers, but she's always seen sense in the end and almost always done the honourable thing.

So this episode just made her go from seemingly sane to totally mad in half an hour. It's not half an hour in their time of course. It's weeks. But they don't do a very good job of making you feel how much time has passed.

It's a huge step to go from a revenge seeking but still sane and pretty honourable queen, to completely destroying a city and it's innocent residents when a battle has already been won. And I don't think they did a great job of showing her motivations even though I like the outcome of the story.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sne said:

But as always the show failed to explain how much time passed from when she got to Winterfell to when she burned Kings Landing. 

My understanding is that Martin has never really been particularly clear whether Westeros is the size of England or the size of South America, so this confusion maybe comes from source. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The way I remember it, the battle is won, she lands the dragon and surveys the city, and she looked fairly chilled out and relaxed, then she just seems to decide to raze the place.

I dunno, she looked pretty mad to me :P

37 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I don't understand people who think they have ruined Dany's character. It's been obvious this was going to happen. It's all building up to her driven mad by power and Jon being the one who should be on the Iron Throne.   

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep it was always going to happen. But that doesn't mean her motivation was always there.

She has, up until this season, or even this episode, seemed to be relatively calm. Yes it's taken some wise words from some noble advisers, but she's always seen sense in the end and almost always done the honourable thing.

So this episode just made her go from seemingly sane to totally mad in half an hour. It's not half an hour in their time of course. It's weeks. But they don't do a very good job of making you feel how much time has passed.

It's a huge step to go from a revenge seeking but still sane and pretty honourable queen, to completely destroying a city and it's innocent residents when a battle has already been won. And I don't think they did a great job of showing her motivations even though I like the outcome of the story.

I can kind of see where you’re coming from, but it didn’t seem rushed to me. 

In the space of a few days/couple of weeks in her time. 

• One of her ‘children’ have been murdered 
  • Watched Missandei get her head chopped off 
  • Jorah got killed 
  • Jon ‘betrayed’ her by telling the Fam about him being top boy 
  • Jon also turns down her offer of some more dirty, incest lovin’
  • Varys tries to betray her 

On top off all that she’s been going on about how nobody loves her in the North and she’s become more and more paranoid. And, she’s always been a bit barmy, going on about burning cities to the ground and stuff. 

Oh and a couple of well documented mental health issues in the family as well. 

I think they built towards it well. It’s the same as people going on about Arya the other week, I felt they did a good job of that too. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I can kind of see where you’re coming from, but it didn’t seem rushed to me. 

In the space of a few days/couple of weeks in her time. 

• One of her ‘children’ have been murdered 
  • Watched Missandei get her head chopped off 
  • Jorah got killed 
  • Jon ‘betrayed’ her by telling the Fam about him being top boy 
  • Jon also turns down her offer of some more dirty, incest lovin’
  • Varys tries to betray her 

On top off all that she’s been going on about how nobody loves her in the North and she’s become more and more paranoid. And, she’s always been a bit barmy, going on about burning cities to the ground and stuff. 

I think they built towards it well. It’s the same as people going on about Arya the other week, I felt they did a good job of that too. 

This is kind of my point. 

I get why she's gone crazy, like I said I agree with that storyline, it makes sense. But I think the show these days does a bad job of building it up. It's all happened in a flash. You said yourself it's a few days/couple of weeks.

It's not. It would be months and months. Winterfell to Kings Landing is something like 1500 miles alone. 

It's just so quick. You get no time to dwell on things that have happened and understand why she's gone mad. The start of this episode it was just "oh yeah she hasn't been out of her room for weeks" and then they cut to her and she looks a bit mad. You see the reason why she's going mad, but you don't really see any of the journey of her actually going through the process.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is kind of my point. 

I get why she's gone crazy, like I said I agree with that storyline, it makes sense. But I think the show these days does a bad job of building it up. It's all happened in a flash. You said yourself it's a few days/couple of weeks.

It's not. It would be months and months. Winterfell to Kings Landing is something like 1500 miles alone. 

It's just so quick. You get no time to dwell on things that have happened and understand why she's gone mad. The start of this episode it was just "oh yeah she hasn't been out of her room for weeks" and then they cut to her and she looks a bit mad. You see the reason why she's going mad, but you don't really see any of the journey of her actually going through the process.

I dunno, I’m still ok with it, I felt the same build up towards her insanity as Arya becoming a badass (although with her I do wish they would stop swapping between a frightened little girl and a trained assassin)

Even over 6 months, that’s enough to send anybody mental, without already having previous. 

I do agree this season needed to be a lot longer though. 

Â