Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

These guys do a recap after every episode and are usually both informative and funny.

Worth a watch for any details one might have missed, or just for a laugh.

Watched a few of his videos before based on a recommendation on here. They’re excellent.

I remember him saying something along the lines of there being no chance that the White Walkers are just one-dimensional evil zombies. Probably one of the reasons why he’s barely able to hide his disdain for this episode!

• Like 1

Quite enjoyed the first part of that episode. The intrigue, the build up of tension and tear between the fractions.

The second part was sadly shot in a way that it made it very predictable.

Spoiler

Happily holding hands = something bad will happen, Can't imagine anyone not calling the dragon getting shot exactly when it was, it was blatantly going to happen right there.

The time jump after the attack was also a bit hamfisted in the way it was cut. No idea how much time passed.

The ballista factory in Kings Landing must be Toyota level of efficient.

Daenerys slowly slipping into paranoia and madness is well done thou.

Spoiler

Why just take Missendei, you’d have wiped out the unsullied there and then. Dany would then have no army and only one dragon, making her very vulnerable. 

Also why would you split the army and have some sail and some march. You know Euron is strong in the ocean and would be guarding Kings Landing. Why leave yourself open for that attack. 

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Hide contents

Why just take Missendei, you’d have wiped out the unsullied there and then. Dany would then have no army and only one dragon, making her very vulnerable. 

Also why would you split the army and have some sail and some march. You know Euron is strong in the ocean and would be guarding Kings Landing. Why leave yourself open for that attack. 

Spoiler

They've proved themselves to be tactically retarded for quite a while now so it's very much in character.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Yes, the abduction of Missandei didn't make an awful lot of sense given the circumstances. It did make a lot of sense from the point of view of driving Dany's rage to breaking point. I suppose the writers wanted to give her a 'big' death too. Personally if she'd just dropped off a boat never to return, I wouldn't have minded. Is she quite a popular character in the fandom? 

As for the latter, I'm not so sure. Yeah, it's a poor tactical decision, but it's mostly due to them massively underestimating Cersei and Euron. I don't mind demonstrating how vulnerable they are, as they're being driven to the brink of defeat by Dany making, and forcing through, pretty terrible decisions.

Quite enjoyed episode 4.

A few predictions: 

Spoiler

Jaime goes back and kills Cersei (Reckon this is nailed on)

Arya and it the Hound kill the mountain (could she even wear his face and infiltrate kings landing)

Drogon to ‘betray’ Dany and listen to Jon when attacking King’s Landing

Seems a lot to get through nevertheless in the remaining 2 episodes. I’d imagine there will be a fair few things sewn up next week.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, birdistheword said:

Quite enjoyed episode 4.

A few predictions: 

Hide contents

Jaime goes back and kills Cersei (Reckon this is nailed on)

Arya and it the Hound kill the mountain (could she even wear his face and infiltrate kings landing)

Drogon to ‘betray’ Dany and listen to Jon when attacking King’s Landing

Seems a lot to get through nevertheless in the remaining 2 episodes. I’d imagine there will be a fair few things sewn up next week.

I like the third one

17 minutes ago, hogso said:

I like the third one

Spoiler

I think it’s more what I want to see rather than what will happen. She becomes the mad queen and tries to “burn them all” but Jon says no and Drogon obeys him. Don’t know if there’s time for that type of story to develop though.

54 minutes ago, birdistheword said:
  Hide contents

I think it’s more what I want to see rather than what will happen. She becomes the mad queen and tries to “burn them all” but Jon says no and Drogon obeys him. Don’t know if there’s time for that type of story to develop though.

Spoiler

but there is time for her to attack him with drogon and it not to burn him due to his lineage...not sure what the actual "rules" are with regards to targaryens and fire

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

3 episodes left, right? 

Two episodes left both of which are 80 minutes long, well Game of Thrones idea of 80 minutes long so it'll likely be 70 minutes with an inside the episode tacked on the end to make up the final 10 minutes..

• Like 1

Hmm.

Not sure what to make of that episode.

Spoiler

There's hints there of what the show used to be, almost certainly because Varys finally had some dialogue, but then it has some absolutely dreadful stuff in it. That Bronn scene needs to be shot into the sun. It felt like someone doing a bad impression of the character, and like an afterthought where everyone, including Jerome Flynn, was in rush to get it done. It's a completely bizarre scene. And then stuff like Tormund just, you know, going home and taking an effects budget strain the series hates with him.  Jon may as well have waved and said tarah. And a sneak ambush by a fleet on a fleet with **** air support. And then said air supported fleet is crushed but for whatever reason the enemy just kidnaps a nobody. And then the rebel queen takes a tiny group of forces to parlay with a completely ruthless enemy at her heavily defended gates, and said ruthless enemy, rather than take the chance at cutting the head off the snake, instead executes a nobody seemingly because, err... She wanted to piss off the enemy?

I dunno. There's some better writing here this week, there's nods back to the intrigue that made the series and a little bit of character stuff, but some of it is still... Not good. It almost feels like fan fiction in some ways. The bit with Tormund at the start, I get that he's meant to be elated and drunk, but that felt more like a parody of the character. The boxes were ticked but the... soul?... of the character wasn't there.

I think I've finally managed to put my finger on exactly what the issue is. It's that the plot is now obviously driving everything. Previously, the plot was hidden. In early series we didn't know where things were going, and there was so much obscuring the basic framework of the plot(s) - so many characters, so many plots that weaved over each other or were completely separate, so much character building, so much time spent on everything, and frankly just better writing. Now, there is only 1 plot, our characters are all committed to that plot, they're rushing to get to the culmination of that plot, have trimmed all the fat off everything leaving only the bare minimum of character stuff to resolve arcs, and the writing is first and foremost focused on delivering the resolution of the plot, and doesn't have the quality of the earlier stuff.

So we've ended up with this rushed, increasingly stupid show. The production values are still there, but the scripts, the plot... The show has been hobbled. It's taken a dive. We knew it had been going downhill for a while but this series really does feel like the show is free wheeling to the finish.

Better than last week, but more indication this series is going full on towards a crushing disappointment in the resolution of the show.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Euron's army basically being gods is kind of angering me. He took down a dragon so easily. Killing one of the dragons felt like a minor character being killed off. Bad taste in my mouth there, and then they just let them wash up to shore, and magically get back? 

Next episode will be the final battle of the series. Hopefully it's good. One good thing is this means we can see literally anything. I really don't know who will win. This isn't the typical good guy wins, so it very well could be Cersie winning, or hell even Jamie being king somehow.

Personally I think Sansa will end up on the throne. Think Jon and Danaerys will die. 

Â