Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Why do you think we got to see her sneaking around a library for 5 minutes in a scene so close to Jon trying to sneak up on him? I thought they hammered the point home. She's a sneaky, sneaky assassin, quiet than a drop of blood.

Not for me not buying that. 

• Haha 3

Arya, to camera: "I trained as an assassin in Braavos, you know. That's how I did it. Go back and watch seasons 5-6."

There's a lot to criticise so far this season...But what a really odd thing to be incredulous about. We saw her training for bloody ages! 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Arya, to camera: "I trained as an assassin in Braavos, you know. That's how I did it. Go back and watch seasons 5-6."

There's a lot to criticise so far this season...But what a really odd thing to be incredulous about. We saw her training for bloody ages! 

Needed one of these as well.

Drago obviously as the Night King

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not really so are we saying arya would kill Jon snow in a one on one battle? 

Yeah she is skilled but you see how many white walkers there was? He could have created another army of dead if he wanted to. 

I don't have a problem with Arya stealthily killing the Night King. Unless I'm forgetting something I don't think we've really had it established she was s master of stealth, more that she had been trained as an assassin who could act covertly and was handy in a fight, but ok it's not a stretch to think she can move silently.

My issue was more they shot the scene to get the shock factor, which is fair enough, but they do it in such a way that Arya literally just materialises in the darkness behind the Night King. So your left with a 'just go with it' scenario where you can't allow yourself to think things like 'where the **** did she come from?!'. They couldn't be more explicit in it, showing a scene of her going somewhere after running off, because they would lose the shock factor, but equally they shouldn't have just done nothing and have her surely appear from the darkness.

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To start with, what has sneaking up on someone got to do with being one on one in battle? You're completely changing the topic :D 

Even so, though...In an even fight on a battlefield where they can clearly see the other? Possibly. She didn't have much of a problem sparring with Brienne, and Brienne has seen far more combat in her time than Jon. 

In any other scenario? Jon wouldn't have a chance. Whether she sneaks behind him, wears someone's face, or just fades in and out of a crowd, it's established at this point she could kill pretty much anyone she wants to.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

If she sneaked up on him (like a few episodes ago) and he didn't know she was there then obviously yes she could.

Yeah she is skilled but you see how many white walkers there was?

She'd have to be really sneaky.

but at the same time rewatching it and seeing / thinking back to all the hints everything about her doing it is signposted from a long way away

im not bothered with the ayra part of it im bothered because I don't think they achieved a twist or an effective shock, it doesn't help that the whole bran / night king bit doesn't work (would you care if the NK had killed bran? nor me) and the overall disappointment of the NK story arc, its how we got there and the fact that we are there that's shit rather than the last 10 seconds of him

The biggest issue with episode 3 is definitely the complete damp squib this existential threat turned out to be. That plot basically just got abandoned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

The Bronn scene was dreadful.

He's not really in the books so they have just shoehorned  (Robson &) Jerome into the TV series because they think he's a good character/funny. His scene in episode 4 was beyond awful.

Edited by villa89

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah so useless they took out dothaki within 90 seconds. Real useless!! 

There is a difference between Wights (undead) and White Walkers. The Wights are the brainless horde of zombies that only have a use when the Night King gives them a use. The White Walkers are somewhat sentient and on par with the Night King, but they don't do anything. Throughout the entire show they have just stood there watching. Even in the final battle they stood there watching, doing nothing. Now this could be because the show didn't explain them well. Maybe they also have a link with the Night King and because he was distracted they were also distracted, but when @villa4europe says the "White Walkers are useless" he's talking about the sentient ones that just stand there doing nothing. Yes a horde of tens of thousands of undead Wights are going to be somewhat of a threat, but they aren't the White Walkers who are useless.

Also the Wights didn't wipe out the Dothraki within 90 seconds, I mean technically they did, but something done as a set piece that makes no rational sense is not proof of an enemies power. That whole battle was Game of Thrones Season 7 and 8 in a nutshell. It was a series of set pieces written to make every character look stupid. Nothing about that battle made any sense from a tactical or strategic perspective. So sure they killed all the Dothraki in less than 90 seconds, but it's not hard to do that when you send them headlong into a wall of 100,000 undead. Had they set up the flank Brienne talked about in Season 8 Episode 2, the Dothraki would likely still be alive. Had they set up the Trebuchets behind the Unsullied they'd get more uses out of them. Had they set up the fire trench in-front of the Unsullied, the undead would have been picked off one by one by just a couple rows of Unsullied. The White Walkers and the Wights were useless and were only a threat because the writers made the humans stupid for the entire episode. 

PS. In my strategy break down I ignored that the humans also had a Castle and fortified walls to hide behind. Stick the Unsullied on those walls with those spears and no one is climbing over. Stick the Unsullied in the Courtyard and no one is getting much further than breaking down the front door. 

PPS. I also understand the writers need to even the odds a bit. No one wants to watch a battle scene which lasts 20 minutes because the humans carried out a flawless siege defence, but the amount of liberties the writers took with characters intelligence just hurts the show. There is no logical way for that army to beat Cersei given the battle intelligence they showed in Episode 3 and that's a problem. So sure I understand the need to create threat and tension, but in Episode 3 it was done at the expense of everyone looking absolutely stupid and that's not good.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Are we going to find out about the Azor Ahai prophecy in the show or not? 

I have a feeling we won't. I think this is an aspect they dabbled with and then decided to write it out of the show. If they are still planning to move ahead with it despite there being only two episodes left, it'll likely be revealed to be Jon Snow. 

57 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Are we going to find out about the Azor Ahai prophecy in the show or not? 

With all the talk of the prophecies, and why flaming-sword dude was revived 7 times or whatever, you'd thing it might be touched on what Jon's real purpose was, wouldn't you? Essentially, it made absolutely no difference what he and Dany did, because The Night King would still have come for Bran, and Arya needed no help. Why was Jon brought back, what was the Lord of Light's interest in him? It felt like he was destined to be "The Prince That Was Promised" that defeats the Long Night....Was Arya Azor Ahai? Well, no, not by any details that were given. So either the prophecy was wrong, or the show-writers just decided it'd be cooler if Arya solved everything.

You could argue Jon and Dany have done nothing more than make things worse. Think about the wall. The dead couldn't pass. It was physically imposing, and magically warded so they couldn't pass. So what the **** was the Night King doing for 8 years? Just marching up and down, looking menacing? As far as I can tell, his plan was to dick about wasting time until the living were stupid enough to give him a dragon.

Either way, with Melisandre dead, I think it's safe to say that the prophecy is another interesting book plot that's just going to be forgotten. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Â