The Boring Thread

Spoony

The amount of time I’m going to be looking at my phone over the next 2-3 days is going to be insane.

I could tell myself not to, that the various appointments at both B6 and SW1 will happen in their own time, regardless of how often I check the developments and rumour mill. Just put my phone down and relax.

But we all know that ain’t gonna happen.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I’ve always believed summer was the best season, closely followed by winter (excluding January), but I’ve come to realise that the best season is actually Autumn.

We've gone the whole October here in Sofia at an average of 20° Celsius a day. I'm still in my shorts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I’ve always believed summer was the best season, closely followed by winter (excluding January), but I’ve come to realise that the best season is actually Autumn.

I agree. 

1. autumn (the best by far) 

2. winter (provided we get some snow) 

3. summer (too hot) 

4. spring (boring, it's neither one thing or the other) 

• Like 1

I have no strong feelings about any of the seasons. Pros and cons to each.

Autumn always makes me think of going back to school so it has some negative connotations (yes it’s technically still Summer when you go back, but Autumn is there ready and waiting).

Plus I find wet leaves can be a slipping hazard occasionally on par with ice.

47 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Autumn always makes me think of going back to school so it has some negative connotations (yes it’s technically still Summer when you go back, but Autumn is there ready and waiting).

See, now that's one of the reasons I like it. There were some bad times, for sure, but I mostly enjoyed school (I found going back to uni each October more oppressive, oddly enough). I think it's because of school terms that I think of Autumn as the true 'new year', rather than January. Not to mention the fact that pretty much every romantic relationship I've had has started in the Autumn. So the changing colours of the leaves, the darker evenings, and the first bite of frost in the air always gives me a buzz that the other seasons (which admittedly have their own merits) don't. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2022 at 10:25, Paddywhack said:

I still rank summer above Autumn, I think the ridiculous temperatures this Summer has hurt its reputation. it will be back.

Winter would be right up there if it was just cold. But wind and rain means winter in the UK is shit

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I still rank summer above Autumn, I think the ridiculous temperatures this Summer has hurt its reputation. it will be back.

Winter would be right up there if it was just cold. But wind and rain means winter in the UK is shit

You make a good point. Due to our climate, all seasons in the British Isles are actually bit crap. If we could arrange a perfect fresh Spring, a pefect sunny Summer, a perfect crisp Autumn and a perfect snowy Winter, all would be hunky dory. What we tend to get is mild, dank, rainy weather all year round, occasionally interspersed with an uncomfortable humid heatwave or a windy sleety blizzard. My ranking of Autumn-Winter-Summer-Spring is entirely theoretical, predicated on a sort of platonic ideal set of seasons. Which we rarely experience. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You make a good point. Due to our climate, all seasons in the British Isles are actually bit crap. If we could arrange a perfect fresh Spring, a pefect sunny Summer, a perfect crisp Autumn and a perfect snowy Winter, all would be hunky dory. What we tend to get is mild, dank, rainy weather all year round, occasionally interspersed with an uncomfortable humid heatwave or a windy sleety blizzard. My ranking of Autumn-Winter-Summer-Spring is entirely theoretical, predicated on a sort of platonic ideal set of seasons. Which we rarely experience. 

Yeah I've always said it. Our weather is just boring.

We don't have particularly hot summers (this year is an exception) and similarly we don't have cold, snowy winters.

We just have varying levels of grey

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Summers are becoming shit because we’re pretty much guaranteed to have a period of insane and very uncomfortable heat every year now.

Â