The Boring Thread

Spoony

I don't know whether this should be in this thread or I should create a "sad git" thread.....but..... I find myself checking MOT status details on car registrations I see in TV programmes - crime and drama ones mainly , or those ones that appear in bad driver facebook clips and so on.

In one programme.....think it was London Kills drama....or it might've been Gangs of London.....anyway, an audi had an unusual reg plate....so i looked it up only to find it was actually for a Ford prefect from 1959 !

I realise that some plates are fictional but it still doesn't stop me checking. 

Boring, eh ?

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 11:02, Genie said:

Summers are becoming shit because we’re pretty much guaranteed to have a period of insane and very uncomfortable heat every year now.

I was out last night and it was quite warm (for November). I had my 'big coat' on like a dumbo. Sweated like a bastard after I had to get a jog on to get the late train. 

On 11/11/2022 at 15:27, mottaloo said:

I don't know whether this should be in this thread or I should create a "sad git" thread.....but..... I find myself checking MOT status details on car registrations I see in TV programmes - crime and drama ones mainly , or those ones that appear in bad driver facebook clips and so on.

In one programme.....think it was London Kills drama....or it might've been Gangs of London.....anyway, an audi had an unusual reg plate....so i looked it up only to find it was actually for a Ford prefect from 1959 !

Boring, eh ?

I do the same. Watched an episode of the Sweeney recently and was checking them! :D 

• Haha 1

I started my working life on 17/11/97, exactly 25 years ago to the date. At Chesterton International Plc (long since gone) at 78-90 Colmore Row.

Lucky enough to have never been out of work since.

• Like 4

On 13/11/2022 at 03:52, theboyangel said:

I’ve just been on a 2 day wood turning course 

Hide contents

Not actually that boring - loved it 😂

So,dont keep us in suspence.What did the wood look like on the other side ?

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 15:27, mottaloo said:

Boring, eh ?

Not at all. On a similar note I regularly look up howmanyleft.co.uk to see (you guessed it) how many of a certain type of car are still registered on UK roads (or SORN) if I see a rare one on a car show. I know I'm in Ireland but it's still a good gauge for a car's rarity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

I started my working life on 17/11/97, exactly 25 years ago to the date. At Chesterton International Plc (long since gone) at 78-90 Colmore Row.

Lucky enough to have never been out of work since.

I used to walk along Colmore Row on my way to great charles st as an office junior back in the early 80s.

Loved being in town (mate) especially at this time of year; the evening air would almost be crackling with anticipation of Christmas and the atmosphere seemed so good and generally jovial.

Now town has me on edge, a bit scary or sinister....perhaps it was always like that and the innocence of my teenage years never noticed it ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Now town has me on edge, a bit scary or sinister....perhaps it was always like that and the innocence of my teenage years never noticed it ?

When my mates and I were in our late teens (this was the very early 1970s), we used to drink in town (yes, I know) every Friday night. Happy days. About ten years later we had a reunion, and went round the same pubs. We hated it - it felt edgy and threatening, and the pubs were - surprise, surprise - full of teenagers. It took us a little while to realise that the place hadn't significantly changed - we had. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 18:30, Xela said:

I do the same. Watched an episode of the Sweeney recently and was checking them! :D 

Moving on from checking car reg plates.....now.......NOW, if I sell something on ebay I look up the buyer's postcode on Google earth and see if they live in a neighbourhood appropriate for my second hand....sorry, "pre-loved" joggers 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I used to walk along Colmore Row on my way to great charles st as an office junior back in the early 80s.

Loved being in town (mate) especially at this time of year; the evening air would almost be crackling with anticipation of Christmas and the atmosphere seemed so good and generally jovial.

I get what you are saying, i'm exactly the same. I don't feel as comfortable now as I used to do, yet the crime stats show its probably safer! I used to love town (mate) and i'd be working there 5 days a week and be there on Saturday and Sunday as well, with my pals. Going to the cinema, drinks and food, clothes shopping in Autograph and Flannels (no joggers ;) ) and just hanging out. I bloody loved the place.

Definitely a sign of getting older as @mjmooney says and not feeling as invincible as you used to. Plus all the places I liked are gone - Rackhams, when it was decent, Virgin Records, Tower Records, HMV over 5 floors at the Pavillions, the huge magazine area at WHSmiths. The places I used to go to while away my lunch hour are distant memories. 

• Thanks 1

Â