The Boring Thread

Spoony

• 4 weeks later...

The conversation in the baby eating thread regarding quotation marks has made me realise that I’ve been doing the American English way of single quotation marks within double quotation marks.

Example - He said “My favourite film is probably ‘Casablanca’, but ‘Alien’ is in the running too”.

That’s apparently the American way round. Not sure if I can revert to the UK version of doing it. 

Also, when typing out a quote, I’m never sure if I should put the full stop at the end of the quote. It looks funny if it’s at the end of the sentence I’m typing.

“…but ‘Alien’ is in the running too.”.

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The conversation in the baby eating thread regarding quotation marks has made me realise that I’ve been doing the American English way of single quotation marks within double quotation marks.

Example - He said “My favourite film is probably ‘Casablanca’, but ‘Alien’ is in the running too”.

That’s apparently the American way round. Not sure if I can revert to the UK version of doing it. 

Also, when typing out a quote, I’m never sure if I should put the full stop at the end of the quote. It looks funny if it’s at the end of the sentence I’m typing.

“…but ‘Alien’ is in the running too.”.

I use the American system, too. It reduces ambiguity between quotation marks and apostrophes. 

I said: "Villa's goal difference is better than Southampton's". 

looks better to me than 

I said: 'Villa's goal difference is better than Southampton's'. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had stain removal on my teeth done today. Generally I’ve never found the dentist a problem, not had any difficulties.

Today though, I could see why people hate it. At times the scraping (or whatever they do) was really unpleasant, very sensitive particularly on my lower teeth. And yeah, they properly fish hooked me to do the back teeth.

Still, glad I had it done. The rinsing bit at the end was comparatively enjoyable. Teeth feel a lot cleaner/smoother.

I also had my ears syringed last month. That was also, at times, unpleasant. But again, worth doing. 

On 27/05/2022 at 20:10, Mark Albrighton said:

Had stain removal on my teeth done today. Generally I’ve never found the dentist a problem, not had any difficulties.

Today though, I could see why people hate it. At times the scraping (or whatever they do) was really unpleasant, very sensitive particularly on my lower teeth. And yeah, they properly fish hooked me to do the back teeth.

Still, glad I had it done. The rinsing bit at the end was comparatively enjoyable. Teeth feel a lot cleaner/smoother.

I also had my ears syringed last month. That was also, at times, unpleasant. But again, worth doing. 

Colonic irrigation up next? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

So one word removed beat another word removed because they were slightly less of a word removed. And despite there being an impending climate disaster, a land war in Europe and school kids getting murdered by AR-15's, people around the world lapped this shit up as if it was the most important thing in their lives.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 03:31, Mark Albrighton said:

Funny, I was taught some fifty years ago to use the double quotes when quoting speech. Admittedly this was in Bordesley Green. Mrs fruitvilla also was taught to use double quotes ...  and she went to a poshish school in London.

Just some goodish news ... the neighbours put in a retaining wall. It looks like we have barn swallows nesting in a gap between the blocks. Have not had barn swallows nesting on our property since 87.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For a brief year or two around the age of 12, there was a trend to tuck shoelaces into the shoe. More often than not, the shoe laces not being tied in a knot/bow, just the two lace ends tucked under the tongue.

I’m not sure how widespread that trend was, or if it ever made a return.

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Flat shoelaces are better than round shoelaces. 

I didn't realise I had an opinion on this until I read your post and realised that I just cannot agree.

Round shoelaces are simple, beautiful, no hassle. Flat shoelaces offer a potentially better experience for tying, and I suspect may be more reliable at staying tied, however they come with the extra need to fuss with keeping them in the proper orientation so that you don't have a twisted and very displeasing mess.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For a brief year or two around the age of 12, there was a trend to tuck shoelaces into the shoe. More often than not, the shoe laces not being tied in a knot/bow, just the two lace ends tucked under the tongue.

I’m not sure how widespread that trend was, or if it ever made a return.

I do this with all my trainers. Sometimes I tie them and tuck them under the tongue. But assuming they’re tight enough anyway I just tuck the laces in

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I do this with all my trainers. Sometimes I tie them and tuck them under the tongue. But assuming they’re tight enough anyway I just tuck the laces in

Is it for aesthetic reasons? I vaguely remember having the sense that having laces done up and on show was somehow uncool.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Is it for aesthetic reasons? I vaguely remember having the sense that having laces done up and on show was somehow uncool.

yeah basically

• Like 1

Â