The Boring Thread

Spoony

14 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I wonder, does Malvern make red wine like its French map twin? 

Tell me your middle class without telling me you’re middle class 😜

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Zen said:

I wonder, does Malvern make red wine like its French map twin? 

Grapes for Elgar Wine are grown at Lovells and Tiltridge Vineyards. Lovells Vineyard sits between the Malvern Hills and the riverside town of Upton upon Severn. The wines they produce are clean, crisp and fruity – typical of the English style.

It does.

EDIT: OK, it's white wine, but whatever... 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Just made a fabulous cup of tea - accidentally put a sweetener in with my standard 2 sugars.

I wont go back.

Ugh. Sugar in tea ruins it. 

• Like 3

I went from two sugars, to one, then a sweetener, to neither. 

When I was on one sugar/sweetener I became fed up of some people saying “You have sugar? Sweetener is better.” and other people telling me “Sweetener? You’re better off with sugar.” I reluctantly became the battle ground for this debate when the kettle was on.

So I forced myself to drink it without either. Actually it didn’t take very long at all to get used to. I accidentally had tea with a sugar/sweetener a while ago, just tasted kinda artificial.

47 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

So I forced myself to drink it without either. Actually it didn’t take very long at all to get used to

Same. I used to take 2 to 3 sugars in tea, but when I was at uni, there was some sort of national sugar supply problem, and the price went through the roof for a while. So I decided to go cold turkey. Tasted rather bitter at first, but after a couple of weeks I'd got used to it. And like you say, if I taste it with sugar now, I don't like it. 

I quit sugar in coffee at the same time, but oddly enough I still don't mind that with or without. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Same. I used to take 2 to 3 sugars in tea, but when I was at uni, there was some sort of national sugar supply problem, and the price went through the roof for a while.

1974 I think, I remember flying to Dublin with my Mum to see family and bringing back a rucksack full of 2lb bags of sugar.

51 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

1974 I think, I remember flying to Dublin with my Mum to see family and bringing back a rucksack full of 2lb bags of sugar.

Exactly so, 1974. 

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Although I scoff at the idea of sugary tea, I actually have a serious sweet tooth, and am addicted to chocolate, cakes, biscuits, etc. 

Edited by mjmooney

• 2 weeks later...

Received a hand written letter in the post today. Has to be the first hand written one I’ve received in years.

It was from a Jehovah’s Witness putting forth their reasoning for God’s existence, so only of limited interest.

Very neat handwriting though.

• Haha 1

I had a look at the etymology of the phrase poppycock today and was interested to see a couple of things. First that it's origin is Dutch and means something like 'soft turd'. Second that it's a brand of popcorn in the USA, which now seems like a terrible name. But the third and most surprising part of this journey of knowledge is that the popcorn is made in a place called Villa Park, which is apparently on lists of the best place to live in the US. It's in Illinois. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppycock

This article is about the confection. For the exclamation, see Nonsense. For the opera singer seen on America's Got Talent, see Prince Poppycock.

Poppycock is a brand of candied popcorn. Though it is marketed in a variety of combinations, the original mixture consists of clusters of popcorn, almonds, and pecans covered in a candy glaze. Other specialty combinations include mixtures with emphasis on cashews, chocolate, and pecans.[1]

HistoryEdit

The history of Poppycock is uncertain. According to Lincoln Snacks, Poppycock was invented by Howard Vair in the 1950s as a snack to accompany him on road trips.[2] In 1960, Wander, a Swiss company, bought the rights to Poppycock and moved production to their Villa Park, Illinois, facility.[2]

However, in 1969, a snack matching the description of Poppycock was patented by Arnold Rebane, who worked for the Wander Company.[3]

In 1991, Lincoln Snacks Company acquired Poppycock[2] and on September 7, 2007, Lincoln Snacks was purchased by ConAgra Foods. The product is also now cross-branded with the Orville Redenbacher's brand.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2022 at 19:26, Mark Albrighton said:

Received a hand written letter in the post today. Has to be the first hand written one I’ve received in years.

It was from a Jehovah’s Witness putting forth their reasoning for God’s existence, so only of limited interest.

Very neat handwriting though.

I get them from time to time too. One of my neighbours (who doesn’t reveal their exact address) likes to post us letters.

The only clock I need to change is the one in my car. 

Have no clocks in the house or watches that I wear. Everything else updates automatically. 

Â