The Boring Thread

Spoony

• 3 weeks later...

I have a viewpoint on a topic.  I am willing to argue with you. 

Let's start.

My viewpoint is that we need more of this thing.  It should be provided free by the government.  Other countries do this.  That's why their mobile phone reception is better than ours.  If you disagree you are undoubtedly mistaken.  

33 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Where abouts on your profile is this info? Can't see it on mine.

Single click in the top right corner. On a laptop its on your picture. On a mobile it's on the "hamburger" menu

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tegis said:

Single click in the top right corner. On a laptop its on your picture. On a mobile it's on the "hamburger" menu

Cheers. Was scrolling all over my profile but couldn't spot it anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

We just experienced a considerable earthquake here in Melbourne, at least by our standards. Had the whole house shake for a period of time where I thought it best to get the dog and vacate in the event the house buckled and came down.

• Shocked 2

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm not sure an earthquake should be in the boring thread :D 

A British one should. Last night's "A House Through Time" mentioned the Dogger Bank one of 1931. Leeds Mercury headline was "Night of Terror - Yorkshire Worst Affected". Total casualties? A canary in Derbyshire and a cat in Bridlington. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Eidolon said:

Can't remember the last time an earthquake was big news here 

Sort of related, I worked in SA for a period and they used to blow up life-ex ordnance in controlled explosions at Woomera and those create man made earth quakes

Roger has seen huge amounts of stuff get blown up, both unintentionally when things go wrong, and in intentional blasts, such as getting rid of unexploded ordnance. “Up until a few years ago, we were still getting rid of WW II stuff,” he says. “Roxby [70 km away] shakes when we do it.”

They were something to behold.

In a bar in an ISO container, on the walls they have loads of pictures of the explosions.

Cudgee.jpegthe Hoff.JPG

• Shocked 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/09/2021 at 09:34, Xela said:

I'm not sure an earthquake should be in the boring thread :D 

Glad everyone is ok.

Boring can trigger earthquakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I’ve been reading some of the posts made on here yesterday and just realised that while normally they’re briefly labelled as “Posted yesterday” (after initially being labelled as “Posted 2 hours ago” etc) all the ones from yesterday are labelled as “Posted 31st December 2021”.

This is of course correct, but to me it makes the posts appear older. All the posts from yesterday haven’t gone through their “posted X hours ago/posted yesterday” life journey.

Brutal.

• Like 1

My sister's fishing boat attracted an Orca to swim right up within metres of the boat and her friends dive float where they were free diving. They realise they have tuna on board and one of the blokes aboard says let's get the f*** out of here.

My sisters message informed me they had the divers scramble on board before that happened.

When I was walking to my friends place,this old couple talked to me ( I often pass their place on my way to my mates but we usually just say hellow ) during the conversation he mentioned that they dont owne a mobile phone ( too new-fangled ) I said that I have just bought a new one and they can have my old one.I said I would show them how to use it as I said people their age should have one,even if only for emergencies.

So I gave them the phone and showed them the basics,then I offered to put their address book on the phone so thay only have to look up a name and press a button.What suprised me ( and I find this really sad ) is that they only had 2 numbers to put in their address book (their son and daughter ) you hear about lonely old people but this episode brought home to me what that really means 

39 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

button.What suprised me ( and I find this really sad ) is that they only had 2 numbers to put in their address book (their son and daughter ) you hear about lonely old people but this episode brought home to me what that really means. 

114 in mine. 

Although some of them are dead. 

Â