Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He linked up well with Ayew in the first half, and was very good in the second half even after Ayew had drifted out of the game.

He gave the ball away a few times, but he and Gil have the same problem in that there are so few options for them when they are looking for a pass.

Let's be honest about it, if we were a top six outfit then Westwood would most likely be a squad player at best, however right now in our current position he starts for me more often than not. Thought today was his best game for some time.

• Like 1

Thought him, Gana and Gil started sloppy in the first half, however all 3 had very good second halfs. Bacuna was poor but possibly Veretout needed the rest and he provides a little extra cover when playing Richards at RB.

6 hours ago, Dave J said:

Let's be honest about it, if we were a top six outfit then Westwood would most likely be a squad player at best, however right now in our current position he starts for me more often than not. Thought today was his best game for some time.

I don't see why this is even relevant. We are not a top 6 side and haven't been for almost 6 years. I never see this line trotted out for any other player. I don't see people in the Jordan Ayew thread saying "let's be honest, if we were title contenders, he would be a squad player at best". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN, here's a player to defend. Or is it just that Gabby is shit and people notice that offends you? 

Westwood might not be the best but he puts in a shift, doesn't moan, doesn't sulk and doesn't give in. Maybe you should protect him from abuse and ridicule!

To be fair I defend any player I feel is receiving unjust criticism, I have never had a problem with Westy, I just let you lot get on with it lol. As I have said in the past I am partially biased because I know what Gabby is capable of and have seen him score crucial goals and destroy defences in the past(I also know how dear he holds Villa) etc. (That has been done to death though). I am more loyal to the old boys no two ways about it, I kicked up a stink when the likes of Gary Cahill, Marc Albrighton etc were allowed to walk. These players are not all shite, it really irks me that some people cannot see the correlation between different managers, systems, team form and how it affects individual players. The personal insults and over analysing of any player is never justified though!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

• 2 weeks later...

It was a weird performance from Westwood today. Basically the polar opposite of what his strengths and weaknesses are normally claimed to be: he was quite strong in the tackle but his passing was wasteful and timid. 

He looks low on confidence.