Ashley Westwood

Nabby

39 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Interesting the players you picked there.  90% play in the final 25% of the field where the only pass is backwards when pressured.  The majority get goals week in week out to.  When you are taking the ball off the CB's your percentage of backward passes should be lot less than that of an attacking mid

I didn't really pick anybody. I chose the games from yesterday that I considered had the highest quality of players in it (Man City, Chelsea/Everton and Spurs) as I wanted to pick out a few very good players who passed the ball backwards more than Westwood to make a point, but in the end I listed every player who "Whoscored.com" had listed as a midfielder in those games, including Palace and Sunderland as they were the opposition for City and Spurs, as I felt that would give a fairer reflection.

I didn't cherry pick at all, otherwise I'd have left out the players that did pass backwards less than Westwood.

You're right about positioning on the pitch. But players such as Matic, Dembele, Fernando, Delph, Besic etc are in that list, passed backwards more than Westwood, and played either deeper or about the same as Westwood did yesterday. If you left out all the players that played higher up the pitch than Westwood did yesterday I imagine it would tell the same story.

Your point about goals is completely true. I've already said I don't think Westwood played well and he needs to contribute more going forward.
But the point that was made was that Westwood's amount of passes backwards was "not good enough". That's the point I was arguing. It's nonsense.

Edited by Stevo985

We do look a lot better with him in there instead of Sanchez. Although he's not as good at breaking up the play he more than makes up for it by not gifting the opposition guilt edge chances by lazily giving the ball away.

It's easy to make comparisons with players that have cost a kings ransom and then feel comfortable with Westwood.

However, I look at Drinkwater.

.........and then I can see where our recruitment has been second rate.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, penguin said:

We do look a lot better with him in there instead of Sanchez. Although he's not as good at breaking up the play he more than makes up for it by not gifting the opposition guilt edge chances by lazily giving the ball away.

You've got a point there Penguin, although I think both offer something the other doesn't, but as Westwood appears not to get caught in possession, I think He is the lesser of two evils. I just feel there is a better solution to that midfield berth in the medium term. 

We need more pace and penetration, we don't have enough movement, we don't stretch oppositions at all. Even Adama slows down attacks.

He wasn't great the other night but he wasn't bad either. 

My main problem with him isn't the passes back but the missed passes forward. Keep it safe, that's great for the team but have the footwork to switch the play.
I mentioned it a few weeks ago but if he wants to be a Prem midfielder he needs to actually influence the play going forward. 

The little MOTD show of Shelvey was exactly where Westwood hasn't progressed, I once thought he could be the player to switch the play when he sees it, or hit that pass between players while wrong footing them but he can't and he doesn't. He doesn't pass quickly enough and it's limiting him.
I'll admit sometimes he does but he doesn't do it enough and it's killing us going forward. I like Veretout because he seems to have some vision and attacking positioning but he still has to rush back to defend in part because we don't have a proper CDM.

If Westwood isn't a CDM and isn't progressive going forward he isn't going to help us stay up. Okay, we're not going to stay up but surely it wouldn't take much to replace/challenge him and give us a better chance in attack.

9 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

He wasn't great the other night but he wasn't bad either. 

My main problem with him isn't the passes back but the missed passes forward. Keep it safe, that's great for the team but have the footwork to switch the play.
I mentioned it a few weeks ago but if he wants to be a Prem midfielder he needs to actually influence the play going forward. 

The little MOTD show of Shelvey was exactly where Westwood hasn't progressed, I once thought he could be the player to switch the play when he sees it, or hit that pass between players while wrong footing them but he can't and he doesn't. He doesn't pass quickly enough and it's limiting him.
I'll admit sometimes he does but he doesn't do it enough and it's killing us going forward.
I like Veretout because he seems to have some vision and attacking positioning but he still has to rush back to defend in part because we don't have a proper CDM.

If Westwood isn't a CDM and isn't progressive going forward he isn't going to help us stay up. Okay, we're not going to stay up but surely it wouldn't take much to replace/challenge him and give us a better chance in attack.

This is just completely incorrect though. He does do all of this, and it's precisely why he's in the team. It's other areas in his game where he is lacking, but he puts us on the front foot by releasing the ball quickly and forwards.

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This is just completely incorrect though. He does do all of this, and it's precisely why he's in the team. It's other areas in his game where he is lacking, but he puts us on the front foot by releasing the ball quickly and forwards.

It just isn't, not consistently. Watch someone who can actually pass quickly in the Prem and see how their vision/decisions compares. Yes it's different watching from the stands or on the TV, you spot the free man very easily but that's also what a quality midfielder does/sees and what Ashley doesn't. Or he does but doesn't trust himself to find the man.

As I said, he does it occasionally but it's how often he misses the opportunity that should be every managers concern, especially (as I said before and you pointed out) they don't add much with the other parts of their game.

I think you should watch him in the next game and see what he actually adds going forward from his position, especially in the context of Gueye's interplays and box to box moving us forward and unknown quantity Veretout looking comfortable in the final third, even starting to spot the shot. 
I think a truly quality player would add more, free players would get the ball without needing to wait for the middle pass and runners would get the ball in space.
I want that from Westy but he simply doesn't give it anywhere near enough in the Prem.

7 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Wonder how he will do for us next season in the Championship. Certainly can't see him moving to a PL club.

Which leads me here, probably pretty well. Less space but he does have quality when someones a headless chicken, perhaps a drop would resettle him. He needs challenging and you can easily drop him in that league. 
Also I think someone would take a chance on him. he'd make a decent squad player as he'd be cheap and on low wages.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

we have had 5 shots in 55 minutes so midfield isnt producing again by sounds of it especially with 66% possession 

In a game that you haven't seen a second of, the only thread you choose to comment in is this one to say that you're ASSUMING Westwood isn't having a good game.

Get a **** life.