The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I think we forget just how young Jack is.

He's going to be inconsistent. That's what happens with young players. 

He's going to get better and better.

not just Jack but we are pinning out attacking hopes on Gil, Adama and Jack who are all still very young and inexperienced

I doubt they have even played 100 top flight games between them

I think at times he needs to start releasing the ball much quicker. Fannied with it too much at times today down the middle when he had options. 

I don’t think that was the case on Saturday. On a number of occasions due to a lack of movement up top he was having to hang onto the ball and eventually go sideways and you could see he was getting frustrated as he put his arms out a couple of times as if to say wtf give me some forward options.

A lack of movement up top has been an issue with for us for years. Now we have Gestede who is pretty static it does need someone alongside him who is going to run into space to give the likes of Gil and Grealish options. Otherwise we have what we again had on Saturday with Gil and Grealsih on the pitch - plenty of possession but hit a brick wall in the final third and end up going sideways and backwards.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I think at times he needs to start releasing the ball much quicker. Fannied with it too much at times today down the middle when he had options. 

A lack of movement up top has been an issue with for us for years.

This one criticism I have Mark......why successive managers have opted for the big guy instead of a Dean Saunders type who are busy moving in and out of the lines, I will never know....you are quite right the movement is as flat as a witches tit....However the lack of movement is a general issue too, hence why players get caught in possession so often.

They don't play or work as a team.

Hes clearly a decent player. But even mentioning him as a possibility for the England squad in the euros is madness. He came on saturday and looked awful. Slowed the play down when we should have been speeding it up. Stoke just out muscled him at every turn. In my opinion, hes not even showing us why he should be in our starting 11 let alone the National team

• Like 2

A lack of movement up top has been an issue with for us for years.

This one criticism I have Mark......why successive managers have opted for the big guy instead of a Dean Saunders type who are busy moving in and out of the lines, I will never know....you are quite right the movement is as flat as a witches tit....However the lack of movement is a general issue too, hence why players get caught in possession so often.

They don't play or work as a team.

I totally agree on the movement issue up front. It has been and is one of our biggest problems the last few years and imo the reason why we play sideways and backwards so often no matter who is on the pitch. I think that since MON there has been nothing but caution from managers at VP in the way we play. We are at home on one of the widest pitches in the league yet continually play with narrow formations in an effort to play a more contained approach. And added to the fact of a reduction in the quality of player only exposes our weaknesses further. I have personally lost count at the amount of times teams in recent years we have been dominated out wide down the Villa. It's a major problem in my opinion and one that non of the managers in recent times have tried to resolve with serious effort.

However with regards to Grealish on Saturday in the second half he picked up the ball on the edge of the stoke 18yard line, then cut back inside and dallied with the ball, Amavi went to hit the byline but had to check back and hold on as he would have been offside. Grealish then lost the ball and started to go off on one at Amavi. Grealish is a fantastic prospect but seriously needs to start releasing the ball quicker at times, especially when the fullbacks or wingbacks have run the length of the pitch or a good distance to provide the overlap. Just a point though. 

• Like 1

His frustration was clear, they gave him absolutely **** all to work with ahead.

Where was Ayew? He finally showed us something against the shit, not seen since. One thing he has shown all along is pace and movement, the kind of thing Grealish and Gil need. Instead they had Gestede.

Second season syndrome for Grealish, happens to all the players, get to big headed (With the comments Tim is saying, it is no wonder) and believe their own hype to much, reminds me a lot of Barkley, came in looked awesome, last season he was horrible and this season he is looking good again. Will be better again next season when he gets his head under control and gets less attention from the media and the outside world. . 

Grealish and others need to watch Arsenal games. Last weekend against Man U they were close to world class with there movement. Now I realise we can't be that good, but we can learn from them. Grealish, although he has some skills rarely runs into space after a pass. Pass an move football is what we should be teaching. But are we good enough?

We haven't had good movement for years. Even under O'Neill I'd argue our movement wasn't great, we just had players who could compensate for that.

Remember when we got Robbie Keane on loan. His movement was ridiculously good compared to any of our players. Noticeably much much better. And he's hardly the most mobile player in the world (or wasn't at that stage)

• Like 3

Off the ball our team are absolutely abysmal.

On the ball our team are absolutely abysmal.

You get very rare occasions where off the ball there is a good run, Cleverley's goal last season when Bacuna did that nice pass.

Gabby's goal years ago which involved Barry, Bouma, Young.

Juan Pablo Angels goal years ago where Stefan/Luke Moore did a great reverse pass through the line of defence to score.

I honestly don't know why we're so terrible off the ball and have been for absolutely ages.

I understand that it's impossible to keep it going all the time and sometimes you just come up against a good, well organised defence, but the amount of times we've got the ball in the middle 3rd of their half and all of the players without the ball are standing with their backs to goal, looking at the player with the ball is **** annoying.

• Like 2

Against SHA in the first half, our front 3 players were often all stood in the opposing D. It reminded me of the last few minutes against Bradford where Lambert just threw a load of strikers on and they all just stood in the same place.

Even under O'Neill I'd argue our movement wasn't great, we just had players who could compensate for that.

The movement wasnt too bad compared to now, you are right though, when you have people in the middle and out wide with the calibre of Young,Milner,Downng,Barry and Petrov life is much easier. God I miss that midfield  :(

Want to see movement I recommend you watch a Villa throw-in. its embarrassing and hilarious at the same time

I have seen under 10's football on a Sunday morning in the park with better throw in routines

• Like 3

Even under O'Neill I'd argue our movement wasn't great, we just had players who could compensate for that.

The movement wasnt too bad compared to now, you are right though, when you have people in the middle and out wide with the calibre of Young,Milner,Downng,Barry and Petrov life is much easier. God I miss that midfield  :(

Oh I agree, compared to now it was great.

Â