The Captaincy

maqroll

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Agree, although I think Mings has been through the wars with us, and maybe earnt the armband more than anyone else in the squad bar McGinn?

I’d maybe go Mings captain, Emi and McGinn both vice captains… maybe a role for Young there as well, given the history.

It's one thing to captain your defence but a whole team is a massive job.

I see no reason why what we were doing can't carry on and that's have a organiser of areas, Ming's carries on captaining his defence and have someone that can Martial the frontline.

I said so many times Jack was such a shit Captain because his time spend on the floor, complaining to the ref about who had just tripped him up. Jacks vocalness wasn't anything to do with being a captain so yeah then I'd of gladly said give the Captain to Ming's.

Regardless of who's come into the club or who's already here, or how long others have been at Villa to newcomers you have 3 people who could easy captain Villa who would be Ming's, Young and Ings. As I said above I would defensively make Ming's the captain in our own half and in the offensive half have Ings as the captain.

So yeah a Minging captain we could have if we utilise Ming's and Ings as both captains in there own Half's of experience.

Edited by Dave-R

Without wanting to dismiss any mental health concerns, I think the pressure Tyrone felt stepping into the defence for England is wildly different to being captain for Villa. Being Villa captain doesn’t have anywhere near the same scrutiny that starting for England at a major tournament does (I would guess). I don’t think any football captaincy does really.

For England he was facing a crowd who weren’t sure about him (90-95% of the population having doubts on him by his account). He was being lined up as a ready made scapegoat by supporters and pundits alike.

He doesn’t have that obstacle to overcome at Villa. Ok some will say he’s susceptible to the odd moment here and there where people will question him (like all defenders from time to time), but I think he’s one of the more popular players among the fan base. He’s arguably the most high profile at the club now which comes with it’s own pressures.

Mings, then Martinez for me. I do kinda like the idea of having 3 or 4 leaders on the pitch who could step into the role. Martinez, Mings, Ings I would argue is that kind of personality. One in midfield and there’s the spine.

• Like 1

I do find it a bit curious that a lot of people seem hung up on Mings' mental health, but not on Emi's after the recent inverview. Mings said he had some confidence issues during the Euros (there might be more into that I just haven't picked up yet); Emi just said he's been using a psychologist since he was 22-23. I don't think it matters too much, some people cope better with pressure than others and I am happy that the players that don't, do something about it. And to be fair to them both, you don't get to the level they're playing at unless you're able to manage the pressure. I think both of them would do a terrific job.

4 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would add a DM to that. Definitely not a GK as the captain needs to be able to talk to players during the game and tell them nicely to get the finger out and what to do

I do agree with this. 

Emi = club captain 

Ty = on field captain 

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Without wanting to dismiss any mental health concerns, I think the pressure Tyrone felt stepping into the defence for England is wildly different to being captain for Villa. Being Villa captain doesn’t have anywhere near the same scrutiny that starting for England at a major tournament does (I would guess). I don’t think any football captaincy does really.

For England he was facing a crowd who weren’t sure about him (90-95% of the population having doubts on him by his account). He was being lined up as a ready made scapegoat by supporters and pundits alike.

He doesn’t have that obstacle to overcome at Villa. Ok some will say he’s susceptible to the odd moment here and there where people will question him (like all defenders from time to time), but I think he’s one of the more popular players among the fan base. He’s arguably the most high profile at the club now which comes with it’s own pressures.

Mings, then Martinez for me. I do kinda like the idea of having 3 or 4 leaders on the pitch who could step into the role. Martinez, Mings, Ings I would argue is that kind of personality. One in midfield and there’s the spine.

Interesting.

I read Ty's opening up about the effects of his mental health as more to do with how he was treated by the camp but more so by the likes of very influential pundits, pure dirt like Neville and Ferdinand who literally wrote him off before the games began, then praised his performances, which were very good and were then desperate for a possibly unfit slab head to come in for him.

Totally out of order and just pushing their own selfish agenda of getting ManU players in. It was looking like we were going to walk the group without a ManU player at all yet. In camp it must have made him feel 2 feet tall, almost soul destroying and putting mental pressure on him. Southgate managed both our lads poorly in my opinion.

At Villa it is a completely different environment to an England camp, he will feel 10 feet tall at BMH and can take that in to match days. All because of significantly better man management.

It has to Mings, Emi or as it hasn't yet been announced, it could be this mythical midfielder we are in for.

If it is Mings, he will be magnificent.

• Like 2

Emi Martinez.

Guy is a winner. Leader. Has just won Copa America.

Nuff said.

And also our defence was a big mess. Then Emi Martinez arrived. Settled and calmed everyone down.

Edited by villalad21

If this is anyone other than Mings I'd be shocked. We have a lot of leaders, and Martinez etc would make great captains in their own right, but I think this armband could give Mings a boost and take him up another level. Yes some players feel pressure when they have an armband and crumble, but others thrive. Especially after his open dialogue about the Euros, imagine coming back to a roaring Villa Park where he's widely accepted and it's the minority that are unsure of him, and then stick an armband on him. He would go from strength to strength.

i think the only way Mings doesnt get the armband is if they've consulted with him about it and he has declined it.

otherwise he is perfect for it. NFL have a captain for each internal team and i think that emi, mings, mcginn and ings will evolve as the natural leaders of each subset

Â