The Captaincy

maqroll

3 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Both choices make complete sense and didn't expect anything different.

Very worrying for me.  McGinn is a good lad but he shouldn't be starting for us if we are serious about challenging the Top 8.  Being made Vice-captain seems to suggest that Smith still sees him as a lynch pin in our midfield which is (IMO) very concerning.

• Like 2

On 14/08/2021 at 12:54, hippo said:

The whole point about MH is that people don't feel a fool speaking about it. It's all right to say he's a well paid pro and it goes with the territory. But if it's in you it's in you.

Fair play to TM for speaking out. If the captaincy is or becomes a burden I'm he will let DS.

I can't for the life of me remember who but I recall a player whose form nosedived when he was captain - but returned when he was relieved of duties.

I understand that people should speak out about mental health and I respect him for that.  Equally, I get that the amount you are paid is largely irrelevant.

My point was that I would prefer that he was not burdened with the captaincy - he has lead that backline with distinction for the last few years without the captaincy - and that I would give it to Martinez - who always seems calm and in control and has been our best player since his arrival - or Konsa as I think he is similar and will only grow.

Irrespective of what Mings has said about his mental health, I think it has been clear in certain games - e.g. v Bamford/Leeds at VP, v Zaha/Palace at VP - that it is possible to get inside Mings' head and affect his performance.  As such, I would have preferred that he was left to focus on his game.

However, he has been chosen now so let's hope that this just gives him increased confidence and allows him to take his leadership to the next level.

• 1 year later...

'twill be interesting to see how this develops. 

It's pretty obvious that McGinn needs dropping, at the very least. 

Does the new manager give the armband back to Tyrone?

Or does he give it to Martinez, or Young?

It will be an early challenge for the incoming boss. Put on a platter by Gerrard.

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

'twill be interesting to see how this develops. 

It's pretty obvious that McGinn needs dropping, at the very least. 

Does the new manager give the armband back to Tyrone?

Or does he give it to Martinez, or Young?

It will be an early challenge for the incoming boss. Put on a platter by Gerrard.

If i was walking in as manager, the first thing I would do is sit down with McGinn and help him come to the decision to step down as captain even if it's just for the rest of the season so he can concentrate on his football.

I'd then make Young (won't be playing every game) captain for the rest of the season (don't believe that will be questioned and be a bit of a reset) and revert to Martinez when Young isn't playing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Keep McGinn as captain until end of season his confidence is shattered as it is but make sure he isnt a starter. Henderson at Liverpool and Maguire at United rarely start

Agree with this. One of Gerrard’s many mistakes was elevating the whole captaincy issue. With him gone, let it rest for the season to avoid more unnecessary drama. McGinn doesn’t have to play anyway.

• Like 2

I think the captaincy should be given back to Mings, the manager would immediately earn a lot of good will that way.

Of course this depends on whether this would bother Mcginn, but I get the feeling it won’t and he’d be happy to return the armband back. Speculation of course

I think we should sell McGinn in January. If he has a good World Cup, we can get a decent price for him. Maybe an Italian club would have interest. Then we invest that money in an upgrade.

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I think we should sell McGinn in January. If he has a good World Cup, we can get a decent price for him. Maybe an Italian club would have interest. Then we invest that money in an upgrade.

I’m one of seemingly very few on here who rate McGinn, but even I can’t see him getting through a game in Serie A! Think a West Ham would be a more likely destination.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I reckon our safest bet is EMI 1

Agree 100%. He starts every game, his teammates like him, and it’s the least political choice.

Mings, McGinn, Young, Carlos, etc can be outfield leaders when playing, and it gives the manager flexibility to bench whoever is underperforming.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Keep McGinn as captain until end of season his confidence is shattered as it is but make sure he isnt a starter. Henderson at Liverpool and Maguire at United rarely start

Both of those are club captains aren’t they? Like Young is for us. So when we have Digne back we could find ourselves with the Club captain and Match day captain on the bench if he isn’t selected due to performances… what a mess. 

Edited by Tayls

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Both of those are club captains aren’t they? Like Young is for us. So when we have Digne back we could find ourselves with the Club captain and Match day captain on the bench if he isn’t selected due to performances… what a mess. 

Not sure but I think when Henderson comes on he usually takes the armband

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

He would be lucky to get a game in Serie C. He doesnt have the technique to play abroad

Best thing the new manager can do is not make such a big deal about it publicly like the last chump did. Just come in to training, say “John, I’m making so and so captain. Nothing personal, thank you for being the captain previously and I hope we all can move forward with this”. Done. 

Edited by Ingram85

8 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think the captaincy should be given back to Mings, the manager would immediately earn a lot of good will that way.

Of course this depends on whether this would bother Mcginn, but I get the feeling it won’t and he’d be happy to return the armband back. Speculation of course

Good will from who?

Personally I don't think Mings should be on the pitch never mind given the captaincy back. 

We have a team that over the last couple of years has had a weak mind set and a tendency to give away needless cheap goals and then capitulate in games, much of that has stemmed from Mings.

I think if Carlos hadn't been injured we'd be in a different position now, and would make a good shout for captain.

Â