Manchester United

BOF

It is coming up to 9 years since they beat us and won the league. Nowhere near the top since Fergie left. They have seem to have  no sort of strategic plan other than just throwing money at players. The criticism was that Redface retired with an ageing squad which needed a lot of rebuilding. But that is nearly a decade ago now. When you look at the 2012-13 it is amazing that they won the league, it was really creaking even then.

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is coming up to 9 years since they beat us and won the league. Nowhere near the top since Fergie left. They have seem to have  no sort of strategic plan other than just throwing money at players. The criticism was that Redface retired with an ageing squad which needed a lot of rebuilding. But that is nearly a decade ago now. When you look at the 2012-13 it is amazing that they won the league, it was really creaking even then.

Spent about a billion on players and how many would get near the City or Liverpool squad not even starting team

Varane, De Gea, Ronaldo (they would both take him) thats it maybe the kid Elanga and Sancho 

Fernandes has been delightfully found out

• Like 1

Their habit of appointing interim managers just wastes time. Find a good candidate and hire him as permanent boss.

The players won't fight for an interim.

They need a full clear out. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Fernandes has been delightfully found out

Fernandes is still an excellent player, but their problem is Ronaldo has massively set them back

He fundamentally changes the way they play, he forces Bruno far deeper so he's less effective in attack and he's stunted the development of other players like He Who Shall Not Be Named (not that that matters for him anymore)

They'll improve again when he goes

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fernandes is still an excellent player, but their problem is Ronaldo has massively set them back

He fundamentally changes the way they play, he forces Bruno far deeper so he's less effective in attack and he's stunted the development of other players like He Who Shall Not Be Named (not that that matters for him anymore)

They'll improve again when he goes

It really was an egotistical panic buy to stop him going to City. Was games going by that Sancho wasnt getting a look in yet they paid about 70 million for him

I think the best way for United to get the best of Ronaldo and maybe Bruno is to involve Cavani up front as he is a work horse but he can never seem to stay regularly fit and is nearly 35

• Like 1

Ronaldo was a pointless nostalgic signing. I think they mostly did it in the fear of seeing him in a City shirt, the fans reaction to that. It would have been the equivalent of United re-signing Beckham in about 2010. Ferguson wouldn't have entertained the thought of it.

They've stagnated but still hovering around the Champs League places.  I want the next phase in their decline to kick in.

I am determined to see Manchester United relegated in my lifetime.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Their habit of appointing interim managers just wastes time. Find a good candidate and hire him as permanent boss.

The players won't fight for an interim.

They need a full clear out. 

Tell that to Neville. Absolute clown.

Transition season and transition managers for a decade. They don't want winners 

It must be kinda strange for Man Utd supporters, around my age who were kids and then well into adulthood during the Fergie years. Basically averaging a trophy a season. 

I do find myself wondering what their readjusted expectancy level of success is these days. To be in with a chance of the title every year, maybe win it on average every three years? An FA cup every so often to break it up?

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Tell that to Neville. Absolute clown.

Transition season and transition managers for a decade. They don't want winners 

Nev seemed to be getting very red in the face about the wisdom of this interim/transition stuff yesterday when Micah Richards was expressing some pretty banal skepticism about it.

It has been fun to watch Man U crumble but the constant discussions about why are getting old. It seems now it’s gone full circle and back to ”it’s the players” (always the preferred explanation for idiots and small children).

What’s irritating is how difficult it seems for people to accept the simple fact that Man U now are the fifth or sixth best team in England and not nr 1. People can’t process that.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

It has been fun to watch Man U crumble but the constant discussions about why are getting old. It seems now it’s gone full circle and back to ”it’s the players” (always the preferred explanation for idiots and small children).

What’s irritating is how difficult it seems for people to accept the simple fact that Man U now are the fifth or sixth best team in England and not nr 1. People can’t process that.

It was only never the players when Ole was manager and his buddies protected him in the media

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It was only never the players when Ole was manager and his buddies protected him in the media

Yeah maybe. I don’t think they’re close to having the strongest squad either, but the club is dysfunctional and the next manager whoever it is will probably struggle as well. Quite a few of the players would probably do well (better, at least) if they came to a normal club.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It must be kinda strange for Man Utd supporters, around my age who were kids and then well into adulthood during the Fergie years. Basically averaging a trophy a season. 

I do find myself wondering what their readjusted expectancy level of success is these days. To be in with a chance of the title every year, maybe win it on average every three years? An FA cup every so often to break it up?

They have moved over to Chelsea and now City since Fergie retired! Plastic rocket polishers as always.  Some have even followed Wolves now round here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I'm having no problem processing it!

• Haha 1

On 07/03/2022 at 14:40, VillaParkAvenue said:

Well said. They're really just reverting to what they had been for most the post-Second World War era, minus the Fergie years: A very good mid-to-top-table first division club that wins cups once in a while; actually, historically they are very much what Villa often was and will be again soon, I hope.

I'm so tired of the moralistic treatises on What's Wrong With United? It's like a religion or soft science -- Unitedism or Unitedology. Sooo sick of it. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 19:40, VillaParkAvenue said:

People can process it, but it’s a huge point of discussion because they’re the most valuable club in England. To go from such dominance to this… top half mediocrity, for want of a better term, is staggering. Particularly given how much financial power dictates how well a club will do domestically.

I find it fascinating (and enjoyable :D). 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

People can process it, but it’s a huge point of discussion because they’re the most valuable club in England. To go from such dominance to this… top half mediocrity, for want of a better term, is staggering. Particularly given how much financial power dictates how well a club will do domestically.

I find it fascinating (and enjoyable :D). 

And they keep spending! 

I do understand the cycle of football (although I think it's now broken) but for a billion quid team to be this poor definitley deserves talking about 

Â