Manchester United

BOF

4 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I have a feeling they won’t. Many seem to at least partly blame Ralf for the latest flop so his consultant gig is probably up in the air at the moment. Tuchel + Rangnick could have done wonders for them though.

Instead I heard commentators yesterday call for ”football people” to run the club, meaning people like Rio and Scholes.

People like Scholes and Rio is why they are in this mess. They pretended or actually believed Solskjaer was doing a great job and with little media pressure the Glazers really had no reason to sack him

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

9 hours ago, av1 said:

I saw at tweet on the BBC that in the last decade they have a gross spend of £1.4b, and in that time have won 2 CL knock out games. 

£1.4b and they have finished the game tonight with Mata, Matic, Ronaldo and Cavani who have a combined age of about 500. Oh and Pogba who is leaving on a free in the summer. 

The club is a fecking mess. 

I love it. 

I made reference to that in the midweek thread. Such poor business when you look at the squad they have available to them. 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That would be John murtough and Darren fletcher, appointed last year

Murtough is ex Head of PL elite performance, before that he was a sports scientist at Everton 

Evra has recently said he wants the job... How's he qualified exactly? And did the commentators say get a football man in and he'll get Poch in? 

They've made the infrastructure changes at the club there just isn't an instant fix that they want

Man. United will know they've hit rock bottom when Dwight Yorke starts sending his CV in for these vacancies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

That Ronaldo hat trick was brilliant. It's probably bought him another 20 games worth of anonymous performances before they start to question him again

Does this mean my feed won't be full of Ronaldo is not the problem videos and articles for a few months agah now?

Good.

If your centre forward is the teason your team is all over the place defensively and lacking creativity then is bigger issue at hand.

The 80 million Titus Bramble for a start, a 90 million clown in midfield, 65 million pound midfielder on loan at Everton and paying 45 million for a right back whose style of play belongs 30 years ago. Not to mention paying half a million a week on goalkeepers 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

That Ronaldo hat trick was brilliant. It's probably bought him another 20 games worth of anonymous performances before they start to question him again

18 goals, 3 assists, 130 minutes per goal contribution for United. 

6 CL goals in 7 games this season.

Second in the PL top scorer list for the season far.

Overall 24 goals in 38 games for club and country. 

Not sure how he manages 20 anonymous games :lol: 

Edited by Genie

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

And yet games like last night he's awful.

He's been a fantastic player in his career. And he still has flashes of it now. But he's gone long periods this season being really very bad, and because of who he is and how Utd play with him in the team it massively hinders them when he's not at the races. He offers them nothing when he's off his game, yet is always the target because of who he is. He doesn't hold it up, he doesn't let others play off him, he doesn't work back for the team.

As good as he still CAN be, I stand by it that signing him has been a backward step for Man Utd. He is a massive luxury, and when they get games where they can afford that then he is still brilliant. But games like last night when he needs to do more he's a massive hinderance to them

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And yet games like last night he's awful.

He's been a fantastic player in his career. And he still has flashes of it now. But he's gone long periods this season being really very bad, and because of who he is and how Utd play with him in the team it massively hinders them when he's not at the races. He offers them nothing when he's off his game, yet is always the target because of who he is. He doesn't hold it up, he doesn't let others play off him, he doesn't work back for the team.

As good as he still CAN be, I stand by it that signing him has been a backward step for Man Utd. He is a massive luxury, and when they get games where they can afford that then he is still brilliant. But games like last night when he needs to do more he's a massive hinderance to them

He’s not the player he was, but he still delivers more often than not, and he’s still one of the top scorers in European football.

In 2021 he was 5th in the list of most goals scored in Europe for club and country.

People mix up a decline from being part of the conversation of best player ever to being shit. He’s gone from being one of 2 players head and shoulders above everyone else, to one of the best cluster of players currently playing. This cluster of players sometimes have off days. 

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’s not the player he was, but he still delivers more often than not, and he’s still one of the top scorers in European football.

In 2021 he was 5th in the list of most goals scored in Europe for club and country.

People mix up a decline from being part of the conversation of best player ever to being shit. He’s gone from being one of 2 players head and shoulders above everyone else, to one of the best cluster of players currently playing. This cluster of players sometimes have off days. 

I'd strongly argue against him being on of the best cluster of players currently playing

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Amazing what that hattrick has done to boost those figures - absolutely zero chance of you posting this sort of stuff before that Spurs game :D

Taking little snippets are always good too; like specifically looking at his CL games.  If you remove Spurs and ignore his first 2 games for Man Utd, Ronaldo scored 6 goals in 23 games.  Not too bad, but hardly amazing what a striker kind of figures.

As I said before, it shows how limiting he's been for Man Utd this season that, after 29 league games, people feel they need to post "OMG he's still got it" type posts after he scores a hattrick.  Kind of shows that his purchase hasn't really worked out for Man Utd, doesn't it?

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Taking little snippets are always good too; like specifically looking at his CL games.  If you remove Spurs and ignore his first 2 games for Man Utd, Ronaldo scored 6 goals in 23 games.  Not too bad, but hardly amazing what a striker kind of figures.

What are you on about? :lol:

My post has separate bullet points for PL, CL, and overall club and country… good stats across the board. Only Salah has scored more goal in the premier league and he’s in the form of his life.

As I said, because he’s no longer one of 2 players who are by far the best it becomes lazy internet meme for “lol he’s shit”.

His stats for club domestically, in European football and for his country are still amongst the best around. 130 mins per goal contribution all in.

Then after criticising my non-existent selective data you go on about “remove games x, y and z where he scored plenty of goals and the numbers are not as good. No shit. 

Both Ronaldo and Messi are clever enough (and vain enough) to understand that they needed to adjust the way they play to be able to keep scoring goals as they got older.

They both offer nothing off the ball these days and only move when there is a chance for them to shine and score. They are both fantastic players, but only in bursts. The rest of the time they are almost detrimental to their teams, especially when their teams don't have the ball.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What are you on about? :lol:

My post has separate bullet points for PL, CL, and overall club and country… good stats across the board. Only Salah has scored more goal in the premier league and he’s in the form of his life.

As I said, because he’s no longer one of 2 players who are by far the best it becomes lazy internet meme for “lol he’s shit”.

His stats for club domestically, in European football and for his country are still amongst the best around. 130 mins per goal contribution all in.

Then after criticising my non-existent selective data you go on about “remove games x, y and z where he scored plenty of goals and the numbers are not as good. No shit. 

If you take away all the games he has scored in, then he's shit and hasn't scored this season ;)

He's not the player he was but still excellent. 

As has been said - Man Utd are poor at at the back and lack a lot in midfield - thats not Ronaldo's fault. If they had better players there, he'd probably score more! Strikers thrive on service. This Man Utd team is probably the worst team he has played in for 15 years! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, sne said:

Both Ronaldo and Messi are clever enough (and vain enough) to understand that they needed to adjust the way they play to be able to keep scoring goals as they got older.

They both offer nothing off the ball these days and only move when there is a chance for them to shine and score. They are both fantastic players, but only in bursts. The rest of the time they are almost detrimental to their teams, especially when their teams don't have the ball.

I'm surprised how much Messi seems to have dropped off this season. I thought he would boss it in France

Heart not in it?

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'm surprised how much Messi seems to have dropped off this season. I thought he would boss it in France

Heart not in it?

Probably not. Tbh his heart wasn't in it at Barca either the last 2 seasons but he's supremely suited to play Barca football and Barca are likewise formed around Messi so it kinda kept on rolling there.

The difference in effort when he was sulky about Koeman and his new contracts compared to when he gave a damn was startling.

• Like 1

Â