Manchester United

BOF

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Guy barely moves

Utd don't play a massively high press.  They play like they did in the 90s, counter attacking - but admittedly with a twist where they will go for the ball if teams like arsenal fanny around with it in their own box.

They play with pacey wingers who's aim it is to get the ball on the wings and to cut inside and get shots off or crosses in from their overlapping fullbacks, JUST LIKE NEVILLE/BECKS DID 20 YEARS AGO.  They don't mind sitting deep and allowing other teams have the ball because it frees space up when they win it back for their wingers to be effective.  It's why they spent so much money getting Pogba back, because he's very capable of winning the ball/receiving the ball near his own box and spraying 40-60 yard passes to wingers with accuracy.  That he can also dribble and has very quick feet is a bonus because he can also hurt teams near their own box. 

It's also why they play with 2 DM's even though all the FIFA/FM managers out there are saying "WHY GOD, WHY?!!" and when they played just the one the other week they got absolutely dominated in midfield - yet another reason why imbeciles on socials show themselves to be clueless knobheads. 

**** hell, if they wanted a knob head running headlessly around the opponents defenders they could have had Timo Bastard Werner for 30p and a packet of peanuts.

6 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Utd don't play a massively high press.  They play like they did in the 90s, counter attacking - but admittedly with a twist where they will go for the ball if teams like arsenal fanny around with it in their own box.

They play with pacey wingers who's aim it is to get the ball on the wings and to cut inside and get shots off or crosses in from their overlapping fullbacks, JUST LIKE NEVILLE/BECKS DID 20 YEARS AGO.  They don't mind sitting deep and allowing other teams have the ball because it frees space up when they win it back for their wingers to be effective.  It's why they spent so much money getting Pogba back, because he's very capable of winning the ball/receiving the ball near his own box and spraying 40-60 yard passes to wingers with accuracy.  That he can also dribble and has very quick feet is a bonus because he can also hurt teams near their own box. 

It's also why they play with 2 DM's even though all the FIFA/FM managers out there are saying "WHY GOD, WHY?!!" and when they played just the one the other week they got absolutely dominated in midfield - yet another reason why imbeciles on socials show themselves to be clueless knobheads. 

**** hell, if they wanted a knob head running headlessly around the opponents defenders they could have had Timo Bastard Werner for 30p and a packet of peanuts.

Ronaldo is finished. 

People just don't want to admit it cause they are in love with the guy. 

Scoring a goal isn't how I judge my players, and I don't subscribe to these stat merchants. I'm old school in that sense. I judge my players on the eye test. Scoring a goal isn't equivalent to a good performance. 

And Ronaldos performances are so embarrassing. Offering so little to the team. Doesn't hold the ball up. Doesn't link up the play. Losing the ball like I've never seen before. Attempting these dead step overs. Honestly he is crap imo. 

He is like a passenger and will cost Ole his job if he keeps playing him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Ronaldo is finished. 

People just don't want to admit it cause they are in love with the guy. 

Scoring a goal isn't how I judge my players, and I don't subscribe to these stat merchants. I'm old school in that sense. I judge my players on the eye test. Scoring a goal isn't equivalent to a good performance. 

And Ronaldos performances are so embarrassing. Offering so little to the team. Doesn't hold the ball up. Doesn't link up the play. Losing the ball like I've never seen before. Attempting these dead step overs. Honestly he is crap imo. 

He is like a passenger and will cost Ole his job if he keeps playing him. 

Interesting way to view strikers.  Don't worry about the goals, lads, as long as your pressing is on point.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Interesting way to view strikers.  Don't worry about the goals, lads, as long as your pressing is on point.

Seen this a lot on here, along with the golden 'I don't view penalties as goals' which popped up the other day.

'Oh yeah, we lost 4-0, but the strikers were pressing really well' just doesn't really cut it for me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

One thing that get lost on people is that Brendan Rodgers told Vardy to press less and save his energy for when it's actually needed, i.e. on the counter attack. This press from the front trend is just a trend, people will soon see the flaws in it. For my money out of possession you go full "Italian" mode, sit back in two banks of four, be compact, cynical fouls as needed and make the other team break you down. The press can be good but it only takes a team to pass through it once and then your CB's are really exposed. 

12 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Have they not realised football might have moved on a bit in 20 years? That might be why they're finishing 4th instead of challenging for title. Christ if we played the 'Villa way' from the period we had most success we'd still be playing 2-3-5

46 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Have they not realised football might have moved on a bit in 20 years? That might be why they're finishing 4th instead of challenging for title. Christ if we played the 'Villa way' from the period we had most success we'd still be playing 2-3-5

Why we hired Sherwood that time 😉

1 hour ago, Mister_a said:

Seen this a lot on here, along with the golden 'I don't view penalties as goals' which popped up the other day.

'Oh yeah, we lost 4-0, but the strikers were pressing really well' just doesn't really cut it for me.

It's just whatever works best for the team.  Ronaldo wouldn't be as great at Villa because we do rely on pressing forwards and winning the ball back high up the pitch.  Man Utd don't - so it's illogical to try and put all forwards in the same pot.

• Like 1

Other than the emotional and financial impact, buying Ronaldo back made no sense. His mobility has clearly declined and he has decided to move to probably the most physically intense league in the world. He could still probably keep scoring until he is about 45 if all he did was to stand in the penalty area but modern football is so dependent on the press it is not really going to work if United really want to compete at the top.

• Like 2

Bit late but all the media talk after playing us was why Ronaldo didnt take the penalty instead of Bruno even though the later had a better penalty conversion rate, then after drawing with everton, why Cavani started instead of Ronaldo even though scored 17 goals for United last season and is a world class striker in his own right. Sick of hearing about Ronaldo. Hes one of the best players of all time but hes not the player he was. 

Is anybody saying Ronaldo is the same player he was 5 years ago?

He’s still scoring goals which is his primary purpose. In all likelihood he’d have even more goals if he started against Everton and took the pen against us.

• Like 1

Â