Manchester United

BOF

27 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Still in complete denial over Ronaldo.

Fernandes with a half hearted press. Ronaldo, Pogba and Fernandes is not a great pressing squad. Matic as well 😂

Then the fans moan they have to play McFred

Your commitment to pinning all failures on Ronaldo is impressive.

There's no point replacing Ronaldo with the most consistent pressing striker in the league if the rest of the team is also playing the same way. That's a coaching issue not a Ronaldo issue.

yeah that lack of pressing look as much fernandes as it did anyone else

it also highlights a lot of problems, lack of intensity, lack of positional awareness, laziness...it was a lot of them with the laziness

thats what having a manager under pressure and fans moaning about owners does to a team, its not the players who are getting shit from the fans, even this lack of pressing will no doubt be spun to being Ole's problem

• Like 1

I think problem though is people are looking at Ronaldo not wanting to do it anymore and it's seeping through to them aswell. Cavani can still do it o.k and they seemed pretty lively end of last season with him in good form.

Think in short term Rashford starting again on the left will balance things out as he can obviously do it and can finish off chances as he showed.

Their CM options are bottom half standard which is their biggest problem. Pogba can only really be effective if he's got a Kante type alongside him as he showed in the euros and world cup. Put Pogba in Chelsea team and he'd finally look incredible in premier league so that's the flaws of Man. United.

36 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Your commitment to pinning all failures on Ronaldo is impressive.

There's no point replacing Ronaldo with the most consistent pressing striker in the league if the rest of the team is also playing the same way. That's a coaching issue not a Ronaldo issue.

Well so far I've been proven right.

He's done nothing more that making them a worse team.

Edited by villalad21

You can't blame individuals for not pressing when the spearhead of your team is a statue.

It's utterly pointless to press at that point. You'll get ripped apart and you'll mug yourself off and make yourself look stupid. I've been there. On a five a side pitch like with fat Gaz but the point remains.

There are other ways to defend apart from pressing high. You can get back into a deep lying, solid defensive unit but olè isnt a good enough manager to coach that and I'd say most of his players have zero respect for him. 

Just now, villa89 said:

There are other ways to defend apart from pressing high. You can get back into a deep lying, solid defensive unit but olè isnt a good enough manager to coach that and I'd say most of his players have zero respect for him. 

But you can't be carrying centre forwards who literally doesn't move.

When they aren't scoring it's like playing with 10 men.

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But you can't be carrying centre forwards who literally doesn't move.

When they aren't scoring it's like playing with 10 men.

Plenty of teams have in the past and it worked fine for them. Pressing high up the pitch is just the trend at the moment. United's problem is in midfield, it's not all CR7. 

The one thing I was thinking the other week (and had forgotten about, but this video brought it back) - the amount of stick Solskjaer got for not starting Ronaldo against Everton.  They drew 1-1.  Ferguson came out saying Ronaldo should play all the time.  Pundits were pretty unanimous in the fact Ronaldo should be playing - why have him there otherwise?  What was Solskjaer thinking?

In this game, without Ronaldo, Man Utd were winning 1-0.  They then took off their goal scorer, brought on Ronaldo and drew 1-1.  The next week, he plays Ronaldo from the start for a full 90 minutes.  They lose 4-2 to Leicester and took off their first goal scorer late on (at 2-1).  Ole is criticised "is he the right man for Man Utd?".

Their sequence of results is 0-1 home loss to West Ham (reserve side), 0-1 home loss to Villa, 2-1 home win against Villareal, 1-1 home draw with Everton, 4-2 away loss to Leicester.  With the exception of the West Ham loss and the 1-1 draw with Everton, Ronaldo has played 90 minutes in every game and done nothing apart from score a 95th minute winner against Villareal - even in that game, Villareal were much the better side.  Against Everton, as I said, they were winning but brought Ronaldo on and ended up drawing.  His presence and lack of workrate is completely stifling the team.  He isn't a pressing forward, but it nullifies where Man Utd are effective (potentially Sancho and another wide player become more useful and they can counter attack with width and Ronaldo central).

Will pundits criticise him, I wonder?  He feels untouchable.  95th minute winner glory is the only real comment.  They aren't improving with him in the side, though, and unless Solskjaer is stronger and manages to bench him/use him more sparingly, I think Ronaldo will ultimately end up costing Solskjaer his job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The one thing I was thinking the other week (and had forgotten about, but this video brought it back) - the amount of stick Solskjaer got for not starting Ronaldo against Everton.  They drew 1-1.  Ferguson came out saying Ronaldo should play all the time.  Pundits were pretty unanimous in the fact Ronaldo should be playing - why have him there otherwise?  What was Solskjaer thinking?

In this game, without Ronaldo, Man Utd were winning 1-0.  They then took off their goal scorer, brought on Ronaldo and drew 1-1.  The next week, he plays Ronaldo from the start for a full 90 minutes.  They lose 4-2 to Leicester and took off their first goal scorer late on (at 2-1).  Ole is criticised "is he the right man for Man Utd?".

Their sequence of results is 0-1 home loss to West Ham (reserve side), 0-1 home loss to Villa, 2-1 home win against Villareal, 1-1 home draw with Everton, 4-2 away loss to Leicester.  With the exception of the West Ham loss and the 1-1 draw with Everton, Ronaldo has played 90 minutes in every game and done nothing apart from score a 95th minute winner against Villareal - even in that game, Villareal were much the better side.  Against Everton, as I said, they were winning but brought Ronaldo on and ended up drawing.  His presence and lack of workrate is completely stifling the team.  He isn't a pressing forward, but it nullifies where Man Utd are effective (potentially Sancho and another wide player become more useful and they can counter attack with width and Ronaldo central).

Will pundits criticise him, I wonder?  He feels untouchable.  95th minute winner glory is the only real comment.  They aren't improving with him in the side, though, and unless Solskjaer is stronger and manages to bench him/use him more sparingly, I think Ronaldo will ultimately end up costing Solskjaer his job.

I think you're spot on.

Playing Ronaldo against the likes of City and Liverpool will be literally suicide.

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

I agree that Ronaldo just doesn't get criticised. I think it's because of his goal record, his brand and what commercial value he brings to a league. For the last few years he's basically Fillipo inzaghi (or Jermaine Defoe/Darren Bent) just better in the air. A goal scorer and nothing else. He stands up front, does nothing for 89 minutes and gets you a goal at some point. You can have him in the side but it means the other 10 players have to work hard to compensate for him, or at least the two banks of 4 behind him. United don't have anyone in the midfield who can do that job, that's the problem. Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood, Penandes, Sancho are all attacking players and then fred and MCTominay, Matic are no where near the level required.  

TL:DR; Ronaldo should have gone to city. He would have been perfect for them. 

• Like 1

They did highlight the lack of pressing generally from front 4 on MOTD, not just Ronaldo but Fernandes was barely breaking into a jog either.

That's another point right there, Fernandes never really done that much for Portugal at major tournaments so he's another who's role in team has been lessened significantly and he also won't be taking penalties much either.

I think in short term Rashford on left will help things as he is more direct and can score and press when on form so that won't solve everything but they'll be better balanced.

Â