Manchester United

BOF

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I see Ronaldo and Cavani being used in the same way / sharing game time. The others will fit around either of those natural finishers.

I think there's a problem though in how you fit the others in around a front man - can United afford to play both Fernandes and Pogba? If they do play both, can they also afford to play wide forwards like Rashford and Greenwood - it's a really poorly balanced team at the moment.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's a problem though in how you fit the others in around a front man - can United afford to play both Fernandes and Pogba? If they do play both, can they also afford to play wide forwards like Rashford and Greenwood - it's a really poorly balanced team at the moment.

Maybe, but that’s not a Ronaldo thing. It’s a dream to have the choice of 2 incredible finishers like Ronaldo / Cavani playing CF. 

Just now, Genie said:

Maybe, but that’s not a Ronaldo thing. It’s a dream to have the choice of 2 incredible finishers like Ronaldo / Cavani playing CF. 

No, it's not at all, he's still a very good centre forward, the instincts and the touch remain strong as ever, even if he's not the same type of player he was a few years back.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I don’t know, but I think they are stronger with a player who is potentially the greatest of all time in the side.

Perhaps if they had say Kante or Jorginho as their two sitters in a 4-2-3-1. Just don't see him working as their main CF if they keep the same structure.

Let's say OGS gets sacked in December and they appoint a Conte as manager...no way would he play as they presently do.

First month at the club. Official site.

21_22_POTM_AD_Card_Sept_Ronaldo_Ecomm163

Cristiano Ronaldo has been voted Manchester United's Player of the Month for September by the club's supporters. 

The Portuguese superstar, who re-signed for the Reds on the last day of August, started the month with his grand return to Old Trafford, scoring a brace on his comeback to the Theatre of Dreams in our 4-1 win against Newcastle United.

Away at West Ham United the following weekend, our no.7 scored a crucial equaliser as we came away with three points from the capital following a dramatic ending, which included a screamer from Jesse Lingard and a penalty save from David De Gea.

In between those games, Cristiano had also scored on his return to the European stage, against Young Boys in Bern. He concluded the month in typical CR7 fashion, netting a 95th-minute winner in front of the Stretford End as the Reds beat Villarreal 2-1.

They seem to be happy with him.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Perhaps if they had say Kante or Jorginho as their two sitters in a 4-2-3-1. Just don't see him working as their main CF if they keep the same structure.

Let's say OGS gets sacked in December and they appoint a Conte as manager...no way would he play as they presently do.

He will play however he wants to play as he’s one of the best players in the world.

• Haha 1

This really is an issue.

You can't carry passengers. Ronaldo needs to get out of the team or performances won't improve.

Yes he will get goals but it will come at an expense.

JW-LAZY-RONALDO-v2.jpg

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This really is an issue.

You can't carry passengers. Ronaldo needs to get out of the team of performances won't improve.

JW-LAZY-RONALDO-v2.jpg

Isn’t it weird that the best strikers are generally near the bottom of that table?

Cristiano, could you be a bit more like Maupay and Zaha? Cheers.

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 2

Okay I'm looking at the Premier League table and Manchester United are two points off top place and have only lost one game all season.

I see the oft composed phrase 'at least it means they won't sack Solskjær', do people not realize that if you have to keep saying that you're glad they've got a positive result because it means that Solskjær won't be sacked then it follows that he's doing a good job, or at least an okay one, they're not expected to run away with the league.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Okay I'm looking at the Premier League table and Manchester United are two points off top place and have only lost one game all season.

I see the oft composed phrase 'at least it means they won't sack Solskjær', do people not realize that if you have to keep saying that you're glad they've got a positive result because it means that Solskjær won't be sacked then it follows that he's doing a good job, or at least an okay one, they're not expected to run away with the league.

It’s just a cover for “I went big on him flopping but now it looks like he’s doing alright i’ll pretend it’s good somehow good cos he’ll flop later which is better” 

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Its an interesting one, yes they are third with 14 points, winning 4, drawing 2 and losing 1, but of those 7 games, they have played Leeds, Newcastle, Villa & Everton at home, then Southampton, Wolves & WHam away.

they havent faced a single generally accepted "top side" apart from arguably WHam who can be argued as a top 6-8 maybe currently, so when you look at the results in relation to the opposition, for a club who have players like Verane, Pogba, Fernandes, Sancho, Ronaldo etc etc, the points return isnt great tbh.

I think Ronaldo is an interesting one, obviously i cant deny he is a great goalscorer, a great player, but he is clearly mainly a goal hanger these days with clinical finishing, he isnt going to work his behind off for the team, and unfortunately i think its very hard for a top PL club to carry a player, when so many teams, even the good ones, have such a high work ethic.

With the players Manure have now though, they really should be challenging in that top 4 come the end of the season, no excuse tbh.

• Like 4

Man. United will finish 3rd or 4th. Don't think there's much doubt on that unless OGS magically stumbles on a brilliant formation switch in next few weeks.

Perhaps this is where Man. United are now, the Arsenal of Wenger a decade ago just content to finish top 4 but when you finished 2nd last season and added Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane in key positions it gets much harder for Ole to spin that as success.

Didn't he say himself just last week he knew he had to win something this season given he's got pretty much every signing he wanted in last two years when you add Fernandes in?

Tough ask for him to win either of the main two but going out of CL early on which could still happen and finishing 10 + points off whoever finishes 1st won't be a good look and it looks pretty probable with how they've played so far.

I suspect a large part of their fan base won't watch games, just highlights and perhaps will look at stats. 

Doing that Ronnie will look great and Ole's comments will seem genuine. He's deflecting the online pressure from fans who aren't actually going to go to the stadium. 

Also Varane looks like an underwhelming signing to me.

Definitely past his best days and will only start to decline.

At 21-22 he was a phenomenon. After watching him at United he is a shadow of his former self.

Yes he is still decent but has he transformed their defence? Has he had that Van Dijk influence? Not a chance. 

14 hours ago, Genie said:

First month at the club. Official site.

21_22_POTM_AD_Card_Sept_Ronaldo_Ecomm163

They seem to be happy with him.

The supporters are all high on having him back at the club, naturally. September included a loss to Young Boys, a loss to Villa, being dumped out of the League Cup by West Ham.

Who else is going to win player of the month other than the guy who scored two on his debut and a 95th minute winner against Villareal?

They lost 50% of their games and needed 90+ min winners in two of them. I wouldn’t say that points to Ronaldo helping them out - but each to their own. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Also Varane looks like an underwhelming signing to me.

Definitely past his best days and will only start to decline.

At 21-22 he was a phenomenon. After watching him at United he is a shadow of his former self.

Yes he is still decent but has he transformed their defence? Has he had that Van Dijk influence? Not a chance. 

He was always reliant upon his pace to get him out of trouble. I'm not sure if he's lost some of that or just struggling to adjust to the speed of the league. 

Â