Manchester United

BOF

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They can't keep playing Ronaldo up top when he barely moves.

Can't afford to be carrying players these days. Not even Ronaldo.

Thought they looked a lot better with Cavani.

Everton outplayed them after 15 minutes, thought goal came against run of the play.

The plan obviously this season was to play Greenwood centrally with Cavani or Martial coming in to play CF when he needed a rest. Then having mass panic because Ronaldo seemed to be on the verge of signing for their rivals has completely messed up their balance. I mean Sancho came on to play on the left today and you've got Rashford back in two weeks who can at least press and chip in with goals so he'll be starting when he's 100% fit.

They're going to drop loads more points in next two months looking at their fixture list so yeah will be interesting what the vibe is when we hit December. Looks a decent chance we could be above them in the league.

Think they'll only sack OGS though if they drop into europa for second season running.

30 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Was chatting to a ManUre fan at work who eventually conceded our Jockzilian central pairing of McGinn and Luiz was better than theirs - McTominay and Fred… 

when was the last time our central midfield was comparable, let alone better then theirs!?!

I think McTominay is afforded a lot of slack from fans as he’s an academy product. 

Most top half central midfields are better....West Ham fans wouldn't swop Rice-Soucek for those two and Ndidi-Tielemans is also way better.

Allan-Doucoure outplayed them today and Everton will likely finish 9th or 10th so it's really bottom half standard and Pogba in middle two is wildly inconsistant. Beyond that it's a 41 year old Matic or somebody called Donny Van der Beek.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ronaldo’s job -> score goals

Ronaldo so far -> scoring goals

Man United so far this season -> 1 goal away from top scorers in the league 

Why must people persist with the nonsense that he’s not working? 

Juventus barely scraped into top 4 last season and nowhere near winning CL with him scoring 20 + last season so there's that argument. Aubameyang did his job in 18/19, scored 20 + and won golden boot. Arsenal finished 8th.

It's a bit like here, if we had to choose between Watkins and Ings as season goes on as main CF then you'd go for Ollie for better balance and pressing even if Ings would convert more chances.

Would Man. United be that much worse off if they had front 3 of Rashford-Cavani/Greenwood-Sancho as front three with Bruno as number 10? They finished 2nd with most of those options last year.

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

You can't carry a player defensively in this league. Unless an absolutely dominant team, a strikers job is not just to score. It's also to hold up the ball and press defenders into awkward passes, followed up by midfielders. 

Thats why Danny Ings and Watkins are vital players for us in our system, despite not scoring many. They start the press, harass CBs and hold up the ball allowing the team to move up field.

Ronaldo does this so little, even cbs are now confident enough to step into midfield with the ball, overwhelming the already poor McFred. 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

You can't carry a player defensively in this league. Unless an absolutely dominant team, a strikers job is not just to score. It's also to hold up the ball and press defenders into awkward passes, followed up by midfielders. 

Thats why Danny Ings and Watkins are vital players for us in our system, despite not scoring many. They start the press, harass CBs and hold up the ball allowing the team to move up field.

Ronaldo does this so little, even cbs are now confident enough to step into midfield with the ball, overwhelming the already poor McFred. 

Disagree with pretty much every sentence in that post.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

Bang on buddy. 

Ronaldo was not a sensible signing it was an emotional one. 

Oh noes was he on the verge on signing for City. Christ. Such a horrible run club. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd play Watkins over Ronaldo every day of the week. 

It’s great that Watkins puts in a shift and presses high, but his core job is to score goals. That’s why he is in the team. If Watkins scored as many goals as Ronaldo and covered the same amount of ground there’s no way Villa would ask him to play differently.

You can’t leave one of the greatest goalscorers the game has ever seen for another player because he works hard, but contributes far less goals.

The theory that United are carrying him is ridiculous.

Its just a VT meme that Ronaldo is a flop. Same as Grealish is flopping at City.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s great that Watkins puts in a shift and presses high, but his core job is to score goals. That’s why he is in the team. If Watkins scored as many goals as Ronaldo and covered the same amount of ground there’s no way Villa would ask him to play differently.

You can’t leave one of the greatest goalscorers the game has ever seen for another player because he works hard, but contributes far less goals.

The theory that United are carrying him is ridiculous.

Its just a VT meme that Ronaldo is a flop. Same as Grealish is flopping at City.

I think it's just more they didn't really need to sign him but they got nervous about Man. City and obviously saw an easy marketing/social media win with all he generates.

I'll say it again...do you really think they'd be way down the league with Greenwood/Cavani/Martial as CF options? They obviously finished 2nd with those last season. They scored 73 goals in prem last year, 15 more than Chelsea.

Ronaldo was more of a vanity signing, was far more scared of Lukaku a few weeks back and so it proved in the game.

If they sign Erling Haaland next summer then fair enough that's a far more logical signing with his age and what he'd bring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

You mention Man Utd’s goal return, but 7 of those were in three games before Ronaldo joined. Since he’s been at the club, they’ve scored 7 in four games. So, if anything, they are scoring at a lesser rate with Ronaldo.

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

do you really think they'd be way down the league with Greenwood/Cavani/Martial as CF options?

I don’t know, but I think they are stronger with a player who is potentially the greatest of all time in the side.

Edited by Genie

Ole's interviews are strange, he keeps describing these games where United are dominating but can't get the goal. Those aren't the games I'm watching.

They were second best today - they lack balance and a pattern, it's a team for posters not trophies.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

He’s better than Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani and Martial.

You might be right - the question I think for United more than that is how many of those can you play at the same time as Ronaldo? For me, if you're wanting to play Fernandes and Pogba as well, the answer might well be none. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ole's interviews are strange, he keeps describing these games where United are dominating but can't get the goal. Those aren't the games I'm watching.

They were second best today - they lack balance and a pattern, it's a team for posters not trophies.

They dominate in terms of possession, passing accuracy and number of shots. Maybe that's what he means.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

You might be right - the question I think for United more than that is how many of those can you play at the same time as Ronaldo? For me, if you're wanting to play Fernandes and Pogba as well, the answer might well be none. 

I see Ronaldo and Cavani being used in the same way / sharing game time. The others will fit around either of those natural finishers.

1 minute ago, Czarnikjak said:

They dominate in terms of possession, passing accuracy and number of shots. Maybe that's what he means.

There are some very misleading elements to anything that reflects that - Greenwood swinging a leg at any ball that comes near him from 25 yards isn't looking like it'll get them any goals.

They weren't the better side today.

They weren't the better side against us.

• Like 1

Â