Manchester United

BOF

Jonathan Wilson (football journo) just pointed out via Twitter that Van Gaal took just two points from his first three games in charge at Bayern Munich.   He won the double and reached the Champions League final that season.  I don't think United will win the title this season and they certainly won't be reaching the Champions League final but I guess it shows that the people already dancing on his grave are being a bit premature. 

What are the odds for Man Utd to be relegated?

300/1

• Like 1

Jonathan Wilson (football journo) just pointed out via Twitter that Van Gaal took just two points from his first three games in charge at Bayern Munich.   He won the double and reached the Champions League final that season.  I don't think United will win the title this season and they certainly won't be reaching the Champions League final but I guess it shows that the people already dancing on his grave are being a bit premature. 

I know it's the cool thing to love the Bundesliga. But this is the Premier League which is far, far more competitive at the top end. If you're Bayern and have a bad start, depending on how Dortmund do you might have to catch 1 team who have a chance to get a good points tally.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 2

£15m for Blind. United are pissing money up the wall like no tomorrow.

What is baffling is that this deal was always extremely likely yet United wait until the end of the window to sign him. Their desperation for defenders, as well as the usual end of window price hikes, means they are once again overpaying for players.

Don't think Ed Woodward is doing a good job at the moment.

Do you think just maybe the deal took its time as Ajax might have been a bit reluctant to sell their best player and wanted to get the best deal?

I know it's the cool thing to love the Bundesliga. But this is the Premier League which is far, far more competitive at the top end. If you're Bayern and have a bad start, depending on how Dortmund do you might have to catch 1 team who have a chance to get a good points tally.

As I said, I don't expect United to win the league.  I still think they are quite capable of collecting 65-70 points and being in the race for 4th. 

What is baffling is that this deal was always extremely likely yet United wait until the end of the window to sign him. Their desperation for defenders, as well as the usual end of window price hikes, means they are once again overpaying for players.

Do you think just maybe the deal took its time as Ajax might have been a bit reluctant to sell their best player and wanted to get the best deal?

If you say so.

As I said, I don't expect United to win the league.  I still think they are quite capable of collecting 65-70 points and being in the race for 4th. 

Yeah, I agree. Wasn't meant as a comment towards your opinion, more n what van Gaal said about his time in Bayern.

If you say so.

Might come as a surprise to you but Ajax weren't desperate to sell Blind as soon as they possibly could.

What are the odds for Man Utd to be relegated?

300/1

A little simplistic. His Bayern team were pretty awful defensively and he managed to alienate big players like Luca Toni and Klose. He never really improved their defence and to win the league on 70 points was pretty low for Bayern. He had brought through young talent but did nothing to improve the defence in two seasons.

His tactics were odd:

"Van Gaal came to Munich with an open mind. He played a 4-4-2 diamond to begin with, and even tried a 3-3-3-1 before settling on 4-2-3-1 halfway through his first season. The formation brought the best out of many players and gave Bayern's play a sense of identity, something that hadn't been seen in Munich for quite a while. The season after, the formation became a dogma. He never diverted from it. Not when the opposition had worked out a way to deal with, not when specific games warranted it, nor when key players were injured. Instead, players were shuffled around inside the system and often ended up in very unfamiliar positions. A general loss of confidence and stability were the consequences. The kind of possession-based soccer that Van Gaal had drilled into the side couldn't work under these circumstances. "Our buildup play was too risky," captain Philipp Lahm ventured this week. One or two attempts by senior players to talk to the manager were brusquely dismissed not long ago."

The club nearly missed out on Manuel Nuer from Shackle as he preferred to promote a promising youth player. For the squad he had, one of the few successes was signing Robben and converting Schweinstieger to a holding midfielder. Bayern had problems before he arrived, but LVG did nothing to really address the real flaws in the squad judging by many commentators.

If you say so.

Might come as a surprise to you but Ajax weren't desperate to sell Blind as soon as they possibly could.

Not a surprise as Ajax are a quality team. In my opinion though I think United could have got him for less earlier in the window. They are paying more now because clubs know that they are desperate for quality players.

Â