Manchester United

BOF

Man Utd fans have always slagged off Man City and Chelsea for breaking FFP and now this happen. Im amazed what a joke that club has become and how fast it has happened. Long may it continue.

They have signed Angel di Maria and now Falcao the last few days for money they have earned, and they are a joke?

If so, I would love for AVFC to be a "joke" as you put it.

They seem to be trying to emulate Real Madrid from 2003 endlessly signing attacking players. Madrid won nothing for three seasons I think.

They have signed Falcao (to cover for Van Persie who is always injured) and di Maria (because their wingers are struggling and they lack creative talent). Also, since they have Rooney starting every game - it would be hard to give game-time to Welbeck who is a striker with qualities outside of just scoring goals. Di Maria will create tons of chances, Rooney we all know likes to track a bit back in the pitch and Falcao will score every time he is given a sniff.

Apart from them, they have signed Shaw (defender), Rojo (defender), Blind (defender/defensive midfielder) and Herrera (natural midfielder to defensive midfielder).

I would say they have purchased two attacking players and four defensive players, which does not compute with your your sentiment. I agree that their defensive unit is not the best in the world, but let's not forget they are missing a few players from their line-up these days. Shaw, Rafael and Rojo have played 0 minutes, Blackett has 270. They definitely need a leader like Vidic or Kompany to be the best they can be, but let's not pretend their remaining players are on par with a bottom-5 side. To be honest, I don't think any of the top sides except for City/Chelsea have admirable defensive units.

United can play something like Shaw - Rojo - Evans - Rafael at the back. Arsenal play Gibbs - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Debuchy. Liverpool have Moreno - Skrtel - Lovren - Manquillo. Tottenham have Rose - Vertonghen - Kaboul - Dier etc etc. Not much between these units on paper in my opinion.

Papillon - they lack creative talent? So what is Juan Mata all about then?

As for Daley Blind, I don't think he's very good myself, based on 7 games admittedly. Had a great game against Spain but very much flattered to deceive after that. Certainly not a top 4 standard defensive mid. We shall see.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Papillon - they lack creative talent? So what is Juan Mata all about then?

As for Daley Blind, I don't think he's very good myself, based on 7 games admittedly. Had a great game against Spain but very much flattered to deceive after that. Certainly not a top 4 standard defensive mid. We shall see.

Brilliant for Ajax for the past few seasons.

Scandalous:

The president of Sporting Lisbon has launched an outspoken attack on the investor funds which have bought “economic rights” in scores of footballers in Portugal and elsewhere, arguing the funds are a “menace” and a “monster” that undermine clubs’ finances, football’s integrity and pose a risk of increasing match-fixing.

Bruno de Carvalho, speaking at the Soccerex conference in Manchester, called for Fifa and Uefa to regulate more robustly the funds that in recent years have rapidly acquired stakes in players in South America and Europe, particularly Spain and Portugal, where the practice is rife. De Carvalho, 42, a lifelong supporter who was elected Sporting president in March 2013, said that his club are refusing to fulfil the contract the club signed with Doyen Sports, the offshore fund, which claims it is entitled to 75% of the £16m Manchester United paid last month for Marcos Rojo.

Sporting have repaid the €4m which Doyen originally loaned the club for the 75% share in Rojo’s economic rights and 65% of another player, the Moroccan striker Zakaria Labyad, but the club are refusing to pay a further €11m, which would equate to 75% of Rojo’s transfer fee.

Doyen, a fund with undeclared investors and owners based in Malta, which has in recent years bought large stakes in players’ economic rights at major clubs in Portugal and Spain, insists it is entitled to the 75% of the Rojo fee, and De Carvalho said he expected Doyen to sue for the money. He argues, however, that the contracts the club signed under the previous management were in breach of the Fifa regulations, which prohibit third parties from buying “the ability to influence” clubs’ team selections or transfers.

De Carvalho said the contract the club originally made with Doyen was invalid, because it gave the investment fund the right to “manipulate” the club’s decisions. He claimed that Sporting did not want to sell Rojo, who played for Argentina in the World Cup final, but Doyen offered the player for sale over the club’s head, “to Manchester United and all the world”.

“One of the rules is that the funds cannot be engaging with the management and not manipulating the management, and they did it,” De Carvalho said. “That contract means manipulation. It means engagement with the management. It’s not a contract – it’s null.”

Asked if Rojo himself had not wanted to leave, De Carvalho said he had no issue with the player: “He was very happy to be in Sporting but he felt the opportunity to come to Manchester was very good.”

Speaking more generally of Doyen and other funds which buy stakes in players for a share of their future transfer fees, De Carvalho described the funds as “a menace to sports and for football”. He listed the dangers as a lack of transparency because the funds are mostly based in offshore tax havens with undeclared owners, a blight on the finances of clubs because they do not receive all the money for selling players, and argued that they add to the risk of match-fixing because funds could own stakes in players competing for different clubs against each other in the same match.

He said that when he was elected the president at Sporting, who are 51% owned by their supporters, he arrived to find the club’s finances were “a disaster”, they were €500m in debt, and the majority of the players were owned by funds, some having bought 95%, 90% or 80% of the players’ rights.

“I am against funds where we don’t know where the money is coming from, and who try to manipulate football,” De Carvalho said. “Many times there is similar owners from the funds and gambling companies, so match-fixing is the worst fear now for football. Everybody’s seeing the problem.”

Now under his presidency, he said, Sporting will not sell players’ economic rights, and he called for regulation by the governing bodies, arguing that the practice is so widespread that it is impractical for Fifa or Uefa to ban it. “I think now it is a monster,” he said. “A monster that is living in almost all the clubs, so now I cannot see how [it can be banned]; only regulate it is the solution. We need to have a discussion very serious with everybody very quick.”

Uefa has in fact pledged to ban third-party ownership, with the president, Michel Platini, viscerally against the practice of players being “owned” by offshore investment funds. Fifa has a working party examining the issue, which met last week, but Uefa may proceed to ban the practice in Europe if Fifa does not act soon enough.

Doyen Sports responded by arguing that it provides clubs with “much-needed” money, linked to the future value of players, which enables them to hold on to players and compete, citing Atlético Madrid as “a perfect example”, doing well “in part [due] to Doyen’s support”.

Regarding the dispute with Sporting over the 75% stake claimed in Rojo’s transfer, a Doyen spokesman insisted the contract was valid: “We categorically do not manage or influence the player and we ensure that is written into every contract we have with the club. This is the first ever issue we have had and it is with a specific president who now wants to renege on a bona fide contract that his club has signed. We welcome taking the matter to court.”

link

its something we definitely get right

these companies that buy the % stakes in players are no worse than agents though IMO, they aren't using loopholes or doing anything wrong, the rules need changing

that sounds like doyen paid sporting £4m for 75% of Rojo and then when they sold him for £16m sporting said heres your £4m back... good luck with that, just like any other walk of life they'll get no joy from that, if they wanted a loan to cover the £4m then they should have taken out a loan

and of course these money men are going to buy players that will increase in value, and of course these players want to leave to join bigger clubs

if you want a scandal on player ownership and who keeps jumping ship maybe against their own will then Rojo wouldnt be the utd signing from this summer that the journos should be looking at...

• Like 3

Just stopped in to say,  Manure fans are utter shite of the highest order and I personally hope they go out of business but as that is unlikely to happen I wish a plague of microscopic penis mites on their families and for manure to fail in each competition they are in and finish 12th this season

• Like 4

Gary Neville was pretty scathing of their transfer policy recently.

He was always going to take that path, as he is old school and part of their golden generation. However, how are United supposed to do it? Relying on cheap buys and talent is extremely difficult when you have Chelsea and Man City doing what they have done. It's impossible to follow them without spending a lot of money. Is it a dark park of football, sure is, but at least United are spending money on world-class players rather than being financed by Arabs or Russians.

Trying to copy the old recipe is like exchanging Ferguson with Moyes thinking the exact same thing will happen again. The best people and businesses are able to adapt and change, that's why they are the best. The same goes for football.

The question is, what changed to stop the 'Golden Generation' from continuing?

You don't go from producing the cream of the Premier League crop from young buys/academy for the best part of 10 years - producing 2-3 real quality players every year - to producing absolutely nothing in 5-6 years. 

They've made some absolutely shocking young(ish) signings in recent years. Anderson, Bebe, Obertan, Smalling.. and their youth academy has brought through nothing of any major note (as far as I can remember). Moyes has been made a scapegoat, but truth is Man Utd stopped developing good players quite a few years ago. 

The question is, what changed to stop the 'Golden Generation' from continuing?

You don't go from producing the cream of the Premier League crop from young buys/academy for the best part of 10 years - producing 2-3 real quality players every year - to producing absolutely nothing in 5-6 years. 

They've made some absolutely shocking young(ish) signings in recent years. Anderson, Bebe, Obertan, Smalling.. and their youth academy has brought through nothing of any major note (as far as I can remember). Moyes has been made a scapegoat, but truth is Man Utd stopped developing good players quite a few years ago. 

Put another way they failed to scout or buy Bale, Ramsey, Sterling, Baines, Hart, Milner, Sturridge, Barkley, Wilshire, Cahill, Henderson, Walcott and the great Andros Townsend.

Perhaps filling an academy with foreign talent is not the best idea. Maybe the sophisticated foreign kids don't settle-in to eating pork pies and snogging lager swilling northern gals. Having to adapt to a new culture is a stress that can affect their learning progress?  And even when they do okay the likes of Pogba won't show fan loyalty or patiently wait for his chance.

• Like 1

Gary Neville was pretty scathing of their transfer policy recently.

He was always going to take that path, as he is old school and part of their golden generation. However, how are United supposed to do it? Relying on cheap buys and talent is extremely difficult when you have Chelsea and Man City doing what they have done. It's impossible to follow them without spending a lot of money. Is it a dark park of football, sure is, but at least United are spending money on world-class players rather than being financed by Arabs or Russians.

Trying to copy the old recipe is like exchanging Ferguson with Moyes thinking the exact same thing will happen again. The best people and businesses are able to adapt and change, that's why they are the best. The same goes for football.

Is it too polite of me to ask for some of this Man. United positivity to be transferred to some of the Villa threads from time to time? 

Â