Manchester United

BOF

They actually don't have any competent defender. Phil Jones is about as close as they have. They need two CB's but they are spending £63m on a midfielder. I hope there's some money left to fix the defence. It's very funny watching them struggle though. Although it does increase Alex Ferguson's stock which is always a bad thing.

Phil Jones is a really good defender. Better than Smalling. However, is he really the kind of good Man Utd need to be Man Utd and win everything? Michael Dawson at Tottenham is a really good defender but he plays for Tottenham. Man Utd are missing two World Class level defenders. Rojo might be one. Luke Shaw might be another but they are both unproven and inexperienced. I also think they need more than Ron Vlaar because good as he is he'll get a calf injury before december.  

They actually don't have any competent defender. Phil Jones is about as close as they have. They need two CB's but they are spending £63m on a midfielder. I hope there's some money left to fix the defence. It's very funny watching them struggle though. Although it does increase Alex Ferguson's stock which is always a bad thing.

Phil Jones is a really good defender. Better than Smalling. However, is he really the kind of good Man Utd need to be Man Utd and win everything? Michael Dawson at Tottenham is a really good defender but he plays for Tottenham. Man Utd are missing two World Class level defenders. Rojo might be one. Luke Shaw might be another but they are both unproven and inexperienced. I also think they need more than Ron Vlaar because good as he is he'll get a calf injury before december.  

Jonny Evans is by far their best central defenders these days. Often in the shadow behind Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic the last five years, but he is very stable and a good tactical player. Injuries are messing up his career as well though, so they can hardly count him as a sure card. To be honest, United don't need Ron Vlaar as they already have players similar to him - luckily for us. What they need is of course a top, top central defender to play every single game. A natural leader as well, who instils fear in the opposition and calmness to his own players like Vidic/Terry/Kompany.

When everyone is fit (or at least when injuries are back to "normal") I don't think the defensive department is the biggest problem for United. They played without Luke Shaw, Jonny Evans, Rafael and Marcos Rojo yesterday, as well as Chris Smalling who limped off after 43 minutes. Their best setup would probably be: Shaw, Rojo, Evans and Rafael in a back-four. Compare that to Arsenal (Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Debuchy), Liverpool (Manquillo, Lovren, Skrtel, Johnson) and Tottenham (Dier, Kaboul, Rose, Vertonghen) - and I would say that they aren't far from being as good - or even better. They lack that one great stopper like Kompany to be very well organized.

Their problem right now is the central midfield and the inability to get anything out of the "new" formation. Cleverley and Fletcher were woeful and lost the game for them yesterday, because the other units didn't get to play football since these two guys were struggling to glue them together. Since they failed to contribute, the wing-backs didn't dare to take any chances and they were short on players going forward. How many times didn't we see Mata or Rooney trying to find an option, but there were none. Of course, Ander Herrera and Michael Carrick were injured as well.

For United to have a chance at competing for the title (at least on paper) - they need a central defender and a tank in the middle, easy as that. I do not think they will compete for the title of course, but with di Maria they will get a world of alternatives and they will create more chances because of him in every game.

Oh any by the way - I think the new formation looks silly. Where are the pros? I only see cons as it doesn't seem to create more chances and it only leaves them lightweight on the counter. This must be the ideal formation for Villa to play against...

Just watching them on MOTD2. Apart from the front 3 and goalkeeper I wouldn't want any of their starting 11 in our team. Not good enough.

I'm absolutely loving how bad they are. Long may it continue.

It wont last. United are throwing money at the problem and it will probably turn out ok for them in the end. I can see another couple of seasons of them being out of the title race but before we know it they will be back at the top.

That's what people said about Liverpool at the end of their reign, and they hadn't relied on just one manager to win their trophies.

I disagree with that. I was around at the time and Liverpool were more vulnerable to being overtaken by others because the financial balance was so different. Liverpool didn't have the resources then that Manchester United and Blackburn did. United can probably hang with City and Chelsea despite them constantly insisting they can't.

Fair enough if that is your view

but i was around then also i think the gap between liverpool and their competitors was less than the gap is now for united.

People keep saying they will get players but they will be 6th,or worse,choice for the best players

For many of us growing up in the 90s United winning everything in that decade and then continuing for most of the 00s is all I've known so I'll happily take a few seasons of them in the wilderness of 6th/7th.

They're pretty much at the same level as we were under MON.

Just watching them on MOTD2. Apart from the front 3 and goalkeeper I wouldn't want any of their starting 11 in our team. Not good enough.

I'm absolutely loving how bad they are. Long may it continue.

It wont last.  United are throwing money at the problem and it will probably turn out ok for them in the end.  I can see another couple of seasons of them being out of the title race but before we know it they will be back at the top. 

How much have they spent so far though in Mata, Fellaini, Shaw, Rojo and now Di Maria? Near 200 million? That's without replacing Ferdinand and Vidic as well. Obviously they've not got their best 11 on paper playing together yet but even so I can't see them reaching top 4 this season. It's going to take another 200 million to get them anywhere near winning the title again and how will they manage to attract the real top players without champions league football?

The fact that Young got a yellow for diving in the box vs Sunderland speaks volumes. ManUre have lost that sense of "untouchability" they always enjoyed from referees under SAF.

Van Gaal has a lot of work to do for that to return.....

... and money alone won't fix it.

if they finish outside CL this year do you think they could be in financial trouble?

No, they are an unstoppable global commercial giant. a splash of that Eau d'Man U is all your generic Ambrafrasian football fan will need to experience that sweet smell of "winning". 

they really do miss Carrick in midfield

What is Carrick now, 33? Older players usually get injured more frequently. What they need is Tony Kroos, not Carrick. But never stood a chance of getting him.

Desperate club making desperate decisions but they'll still take 6 points from us this season

Yep, and the sad thing is I don't think that has much to do with the quality of our team either - I honestly believe psychology plays a massive part in it.

For many of us growing up in the 90s United winning everything in that decade and then continuing for most of the 00s is all I've known so I'll happily take a few seasons of them in the wilderness of 6th/7th.

They're pretty much at the same level as we were under MON.

They really arent

• Like 1

if they finish outside CL this year do you think they could be in financial trouble?

not a chance, the £9m a year pot noodle deal, the shirt deal, god knows what else

CL or not they could still probably go out and sign a £10m a year deal for an official Vietnamese toe nail clipper partner

they could also make more than just the 10% available on the stock market

Â