Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've killed 7 mice in our attic in 3 days.

I hate what they've turned me into

Field mice or house mice? 

Field mice tend to come into houses temporarily during cold weather, but don't live there permanently. We get them occasionally as we're near fields. I catch them in humane traps and release them at a distance from the house. 

House mice are a different kettle of fish. If you've got them you'd do well to call in Rentokil. 

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Field mice or house mice? 

Field mice tend to come into houses temporarily during cold weather, but don't live there permanently. We get them occasionally as we're near fields. I catch them in humane traps and release them at a distance from the house. 

House mice are a different kettle of fish. If you've got them you'd do well to call in Rentokil. 

I think field mice as we live next to a huge field. We had them in the pantry in the winter, probably getting in through the fireplace. I have a couple of corpses there to be cleaned up so I'll check the colouring.

Well I googled and it seems that maybe house mice. Who knows!  

32 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

What have you got up there?

Plastic traps laced with nutella

Edited by StefanAVFC

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've killed 7 mice in our attic in 3 days.

I hate what they've turned me into

my cat used to bring mice in the house all the time ..Usually around 2am and always when it was poxy raining  ... I'd catch them , give them a bite to eat , a small tickle under the chin then take them over the road to the woodland area  .. one of the buggers did give me a little bite once but most of them seem quite happy to be held and taken on a journey 

for all I know they die shortly afterwards , but in my mind they are living a life of bliss in Mousetopia  

D95AAA2F-A35E-45DE-BCC3-56D1A920BE9E.jpeg

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

In a clothes shop today, a song comes on, it catches my ear and it’s interesting enough for me to think whoever this might be worth investigating further.

I Shazam it, the app comes up with an answer and I look forward to listening to it properly later on today.

The suggested song is not even remotely close to what I heard. So that song has likely gone forever. Unless I go back to the shop and hope they play the same soundtrack again. 

It’s annoying, as normally I find Shazam works pretty well.

On 21/03/2023 at 10:57, StefanAVFC said:

Plastic traps laced with nutella

My folks had mice in the garage. Think they were field mice as they back onto a paddock. Traps laced with peanut butter was his weapon. They loved that shit!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Is it me, or is driving a miserable experience nowadays? A 15 minute journey at lunchtime took 35 minutes as roads were closed for repair work and on the diversion there were sets of temporary traffic lights (4-way so that was fun!). Then by the supermarket and more temporary traffic lights which caused delays and the roundabout to be blocked. This is at midday on a Wednesday, not rush hour. 

Isn't it the time of year? That they're all spending their budgets before the end of the financial year?

Or is that a myth?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Isn't it the time of year? That they're all spending their budgets before the end of the financial year?

Or is that a myth?

I think its a double whammy.

They’re defo making sure they’ve spent budget by the end of the year. That the end of the year comes very quickly after the last frosts have finished breaking up the road surfaces and making them the worst they’ve been for 12 months also massively contributes.

It’s also one of those times when the maximum number of people are on the road, no school hols, crap weather. Everyone is work and not many want to stand around waiting for a cancelled train.

I do miss the bliss of lockdown, when I travelled the motorways almost alone with a note in my pocket saying I was allowed. So I think that also compounds it, we know what it was like 12 months ago when lots of these people that don’t understand how slip roads work were still sat in the house playing on teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I think its a double whammy.

They’re defo making sure they’ve spent budget by the end of the year. That the end of the year comes very quickly after the last frosts have finished breaking up the road surfaces and making them the worst they’ve been for 12 months also massively contributes.

It’s also one of those times when the maximum number of people are on the road, no school hols, crap weather. Everyone is work and not many want to stand around waiting for a cancelled train.

I do miss the bliss of lockdown, when I travelled the motorways almost alone with a note in my pocket saying I was allowed. So I think that also compounds it, we know what it was like 12 months ago when lots of these people that don’t understand how slip roads work were still sat in the house playing on teams.

It's been noticeable this side of Christmas that the journey to work and back finally seems to be back at pre-covid busy-ness.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

In a clothes shop today, a song comes on, it catches my ear and it’s interesting enough for me to think whoever this might be worth investigating further.

I Shazam it, the app comes up with an answer and I look forward to listening to it properly later on today.

The suggested song is not even remotely close to what I heard. So that song has likely gone forever. Unless I go back to the shop and hope they play the same soundtrack again. 

It’s annoying, as normally I find Shazam works pretty well.

Modern world problems. You don't know you're born. I used to get this all the time. Before Shazam. Before streaming. Before the internet. Songs heard, and then lost forever. 

I can still remember the first great breakthrough. Early 1990s, I heard a country track on the radio, but missed the introduction. But there was this new message board thing called irc (internet relay chat). I found a related group, and posted the few lyrics I could remember. Seemingly instantly, some bloke from Texas came back with the title and artist, and I was able to find and buy the album. Since then, it's just got easier and easier. So much so that, like you, I now get annoyed on the rare occasion that I 'lose' a song. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Is it me, or is driving a miserable experience nowadays? A 15 minute journey at lunchtime took 35 minutes as roads were closed for repair work and on the diversion there were sets of temporary traffic lights (4-way so that was fun!). Then by the supermarket and more temporary traffic lights which caused delays and the roundabout to be blocked. This is at midday on a Wednesday, not rush hour. 

I love cars, but beginning to hate driving. 

I was sounded out about a new role at work, would have been a promotion, but I'd have had to drive all over the country. I politely declined. 10 years ago I'd have been all over it. Not now. 

If you have ever tried to get from Kingsheath area back to Sutton, it's about 12 mile, it takes me about an hour an half, nightmare around 1600, defo back to pre covid times.

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Modern world problems. You don't know you're born. I used to get this all the time. Before Shazam. Before streaming. Before the internet. Songs heard, and then lost forever. 

In the modern world, Shazam is dead :mrgreen: I glance at the lock screen of my phone and it tells me what's playing, even with no data connection.

It's odd, but I'm sure I know someone who worked on the original Shazam (2580), but it's so long ago that I don't remember who that might have been.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I can still remember the first great breakthrough. Early 1990s, I heard a country track on the radio, but missed the introduction. But there was this new message board thing called irc (internet relay chat). I found a related group, and posted the few lyrics I could remember. Seemingly instantly, some bloke from Texas came back with the title and artist, and I was able to find and buy the album. Since then, it's just got easier and easier. So much so that, like you, I now get annoyed on the rare occasion that I 'lose' a song. 

I remember as a kid listening to Top 40 radio and thinking the only way to hear a song after it dropped off the charts was to buy the single.   I was too young to consider buying an album because they were too expensive and I only wanted one song and it made no sense to pay for a bunch of songs I didn't even know.   I specifically remember being bummed out that I didn't go out and buy "Ain't No Sunshine" and thinking I'd never get to hear that song again when it dropped out of the Top 40.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

I remember as a kid listening to Top 40 radio and thinking the only way to hear a song after it dropped off the charts was to buy the single.   I was too young to consider buying an album because they were too expensive and I only wanted one song and it made no sense to pay for a bunch of songs I didn't even know.   I specifically remember being bummed out that I didn't go out and buy "Ain't No Sunshine" and thinking I'd never get to hear that song again when it dropped out of the Top 40.

You never heard of one of these?

y2o79znzlbrimokomnjy.jpg

Every Sunday night when I was growing up my dad, and then later on, my sister, religiously recorded the top 40 off the radio. At one point we must have had every top 40 from about 1978 to 1988. Almost needed an extra spare bedroom to store all of the tapes!

• Like 2

Â