Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

23 hours ago, sidcow said:

My mother is making me irrationally angry at the moment. 

Her neighbour is called Charlotte. 

For some reason she pronounces is SharLOT, with a heavy emphasis on the LOT. 

I don't know why she does it and I don't know why it annoys me but it does. 

The cure is to call her Charlotte sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ahhh. My mum is super posh so maybe it's a posh thing. 

The Char-LOTTE thing. Weird, I've never heard it pronounced that way - and it's my wife's name! I wouldn't have been surprised from an American, because (as discussed in the accents thread) they tend to put the emphasis on the final syllable on any word they even suspect of being French (ba-LAY and ga-RAHJ, as opposed to the British BAL-ay and GA-ridge). 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

The Char-LOTTE thing. Weird, I've never heard it pronounced that way - and it's my wife's name! I wouldn't have been surprised from an American, because (as discussed in the accents thread) they tend to put the emphasis on the final syllable on any word they even suspect of being French (ba-LAY and ga-RAHJ, as opposed to the British BAL-ay and GA-ridge). 

I would always just pronounce it Shar-lut, which is how I hear most people pronounce it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I had exactly the same recently moving from Sky to Vodafone. Took me an.hour on the phone and an official complaint but eventually got it all sorted. Such a faff.

Probably couldn't understand that wurzel accent of yours ;) 

Mind you, someone said to me the other week that I sounded like I was from Wolverhampton. I don't think i've recovered yet :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 23/03/2023 at 11:37, Mark Albrighton said:

Idi Amin(nie) Mouse

Don't worry mate, i've given it a 'like' as I appreciated the effort to juxtapose a rodent and an African despot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Just saw a Google news story about foul slapper Katie Price. 

Now considering her last court appearance had added woe - is-me regarding her being bankrupt, I'm shocked and stunned not only to see her cavorting in a pool in Thailand, but she's also found the cash to have yet another plastic surgery on her gargantuan (no longer) fun bags. 

It now looks like she has two mishapen zeppelins grafted to her ribcage. Someone somewhere must be telling the thick scutter she looks hot. 

Probably Stevie Wonder. 

She genuinely makes me angry. Bankrupt, but always on holiday and having surgery. She should have been locked up ages ago. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

She genuinely makes me angry. Bankrupt, but always on holiday and having surgery. She should have been locked up ages ago. 

I am sick of places like ITV2/3/4 giving her more and more money to follow her around with a camera. People who watch it need to have a good look at themselves in the mirror.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I am sick of places like ITV2/3/4 giving her more and more money to follow her around with a camera. People who watch it need to have a good look at themselves in the mirror.

I'd rather a good look at her in the mirror. Phwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Not 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

They put them in boxes of Frosties there.

Might as well have done this week, they reduced the licence fees by about 25% due to the surplus cash they've generated (and they were already cheap compared to other councils)

Taking on more staff as a result too.

• Like 2

Put all the albums back into alphabetical order on Saturday, only took a couple of hours. Separated Beach Boys/Wilsons/associated stuff into their own cubes on the other side of the room.

Now I have found I've misplaced one LP,  and I am **** if I know where it is.

Already checked through A to F, no sign. Bored now.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Put all the albums back into alphabetical order on Saturday, only took a couple of hours. Separated Beach Boys/Wilsons/associated stuff into their own cubes on the other side of the room.

Now I have found I've misplaced one LP,  and I am **** if I know where it is.

Already checked through A to F, no sign. Bored now.

Found it

😳

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Well that was quicker than the still missing New Order 12”. 

Perhaps that one is right at the front of the "N" section, a bit like my Dandy Warhols lp was right at the fronr of the "D" section...

spacer.png

On 24/03/2023 at 19:21, mjmooney said:

Yes it’s the French pronunciation of Charlotte, that was my thought.

There are a few names in British English where we keep this stress, like Michelle, Suzanne, Louise, Elise, etc but i’ve never ever heard an English person pronounce Charlotte like this!?

Â