Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 minutes ago, choffer said:

Looking for a hotel for one night in Cardiff. Expecting to pay about £150 for a night but the cheapest is more than twice that!

Airbnb is even worse. To stay in someone’s box room up a valley somewhere is a couple of hundred quid. The world’s gone mad. 

Might be hang over covid greed?

10 minutes ago, choffer said:

Looking for a hotel for one night in Cardiff. Expecting to pay about £150 for a night but the cheapest is more than twice that!

Airbnb is even worse. To stay in someone’s box room up a valley somewhere is a couple of hundred quid. The world’s gone mad. 

When I went years ago, we stopped at the Etap (think they may be called Ibis Budget now). It was a hole, but it was clean and a short walk into the centre. I'd be shocked if that is £150! 

Edited by Xela

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

When I went years ago, we stopped at the Etap (think they may be called Ibis Budget now). It was a hole, but it was clean and a short walk into the centre. I'd be shocked if that is £150! 

Yep. It’s now an Ibis. £262 for one person for one night. :bang:

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

Yep. It’s now an Ibis. £262 for one person for one night. :bang:

Jeez! I was estimating about £30! 

Whats going on that night in Cardiff?! 

20 minutes ago, choffer said:

It must be that particular date.

I'm staying in a 5-star hotel in Cardiff for a couple of nights in a few weeks and it's £170 per night for a suite.

• Like 1

Just now, limpid said:

It must be that particular date.

I'm staying in a 5-star hotel in Cardiff for a couple of nights in a few weeks and it's £170 per night for a suite.

Yep. See above. 

Guess I’m staying at the Celtic Manor instead then. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I know its a little early in the year so could be on the chilly side, but have you tried…

Weirdly central camping in a nice quiet pretty location?

Lemme check with @Seat68 and see if I can borrow his camper ;)

I was kinda hoping for a wee spot of luxury so camping doesn’t quite cut it. Will bookmark that location for subsequent (more clement) visits though. 

edited to add: the daft thing is that I’ve several friends in the diff that I could stay with but I’m going to see one specific person and I’ve not the time to do the whole social catch up with a bunch of others so I’m doing the trip low-key.  

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, choffer said:

Yep. See above. 

Guess I’m staying at the Celtic Manor instead then. 

Nice view of the queue for the Bryglas Tunnel and if it’s windy you might hit the jackpot and see the queue for the Severn Crossing too :D

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Nice view of the queue for the Bryglas Tunnel and if it’s windy you might hit the jackpot and see the queue for the Severn Crossing too :D

From despair to elation. I can hardly wait now. 

On 16/05/2022 at 22:25, mjmooney said:

And I'd eat them first to get them out of the way, before moving on to the actual food

Basically at the end of any meal I have which includes roast potatoes my meal will end with a pile of roast potatoes. 

My eating technique is to start on the worst bits and work your way up to the best things. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Xela said:

Had my car tax (sorry, vehicle excise duty) reminder today. 

£615 for 12 months. 

Don't they know we're in a cost of living crisis! 

Well if you will insist on buying ancient gas guzzling antiques what do you expect? 

On a side note the car we bought for my son carries car tax at £20 annualy. I told him he would thank me when his tax bill came in.... And he did. 

16 hours ago, bickster said:

You can’t see brynglas tunnels from the manor, I know it was said in jest n all but ya know, facts and shit.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You can’t see brynglas tunnels from the manor, I know it was said in jest n all but ya know, facts and shit.

The key word there was queue ;) (and I've been stuck in it enough times to know)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Well if you will insist on buying ancient gas guzzling antiques what do you expect? 

On a side note the car we bought for my son carries car tax at £20 annualy. I told him he would thank me when his tax bill came in.... And he did. 

Its fuelled by burning baby pandas and orang-utans feet. Makes a nice noise though, so swings and roundabouts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â