Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I'm a gardener and I recently did a job for a mate. He lives a few hours away but has a rental near that he wants to sell. It's an old house and the gardens had been neglected for many years.

He tells me not to charge him mate rates, but I said I still endeavour to look after him as much as I can. So anyway I do the job and he has a little moan about the price, which isn't a surprise as he is a typical moaner about money.

What's annoying is that I didn't really want to the job, and if it was anyone else I would've charged more for my pain and suffering. My customers usually praise my work and my price but my mate (who was my best man) thinks Ive taken advantage of him.

I jokingly told him to sell quick so he doesn't need to me to go back. 

Just got that off my chest so I'm not walking around all day stewing about my mate acting like a word removed!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Overpriced weak lager shandy. 

It’s about £5.20 a pint of lager now at my local .. i was in Belgrade the other week and you could get 4 pints for that 

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

It’s about £5.20 a pint of lager now at my local .. i was in Belgrade the other week and you could get 4 pints for that 

I went to a festival last weekend. 2.50 a pint. I think it was the 90s that I had a drink that cheap outside of a Goose or Spoons. 

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Jeez - When I was a teenager (I know, I know) a pint of Holts bitter was 81p a pint. For 5 pounds you could buy 5 pints and a ten pack of B&H, get pissed and have a jolly old time (providing Josephine was in a good mood.) And if she wasn't you still got pissed and had a few laughs.

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

£6.20 at the place I often go for a pint at lunch. Shit pub too. I only go there as it's off the beaten track which I prefer if I'm having one during the day.

I've been working in London for quite a few years now and also went to uni in Greater London. You start to get used to it, but £6+ is the price that has woken me up again tto how ridiculous it is.

I miss Somerset as there would always be some sort of dirty cider the local is trying to get rid of for ~£2 a pint.

• Like 1

London didn't seem so daft because the pubs by me caught it up, you'll pay around £4.50 for a pint of peroni or morretti in Kidderminster so £5.20 in the smoke no longer feels that bad

if that's carling or some other such piss water though...can remember the beer map of London someone posted where one of them had fosters north of £5 as the cheapest pint available, **** that

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

£6.20 at the place I often go for a pint at lunch.

That's well expensive.  I haven't lived in the UK for 20 years so its mind boggling.

It's 5 Euros for 0.5 Lt with waiter service and a sea view where i live.  (Not Fosters) 😃  (That''s a really expensive place)

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

That's well expensive.  I haven't lived in the UK for 20 years so its mind boggling.

It's 5 Euros for 0.5 Lt with waiter service and a sea view where i live.  (Not Fosters) 😃  (That''s a really expensive place)

and in Amsterdam  , about 0,2l of that is froth  :)

• Haha 1

Ooh, are we playing 'old codgers going on about what stuff cost When I Wor A Lad'? 

OK. I starting drinking beer in pubs when I was about fifteen, so 1969. Cheapest I can remember would have been a pint of mild in a spit-and-sawdust public bar - we're still pre-decimal, so two shillings and sixpence (aka half a crown). That's 12.5 pence in decimal currency. So you could have an eight pint session for a quid. More typically, a pint of bitter in the lounge, three shillings (15p). Then the prices started to creep up, and I can actually remember predicting (to my mates' disbelief) that the price of a pint might one day even go as high as five shillings (25p) - but I couldn't see it going any higher, as that would probably cause rioting in the streets. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I paid 9 euro for a beer and a coke in Amsterdam in july, I loved the place but at the same time I could just see what a weekend partying there would cost me, done a London boozing weekend twice (other than football) and it does get daft

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

6zl for a beer in the popular places on the high street and around 10zl-12zl in the trendier places.

It's 4.84 pound to zloty right now.

And it's usually Tyskie/Zywiec which are 5.2%/5.6% :D 

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I miscalculated when I took rob182 on a stag do in Warsaw (you helped me!) and drank pints out there, like I'd drink 3.0-4.0% stuff over here.

I got carried up the stairs on my first night :lol: 

In London (and any other place you feel is expensive), you're paying for rent - not extra for beer. 

The wholesale price of beer hasn't changed too much, it's the rental costs and other overheads which are wrapped up into making that pint viable to sell.

I'd estimate a shit, backstreet pub in London charging £6.20 probably means that pub won't be around in 5 years, because when rent renewals come through and the ground rent is more expensive, the pint price will just keep increasing, and it'll completely lose nay value, the customers will go elsewhere and then once it's been closed it'll be a new coffee shop :) 

It's one more reason we can thank baby-boomers for rapidly increasing rents/house prices, whilst our wages don't really go anywhere (so the rich get richer and we stay poor!) YAAAAAY. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

went to a local annual historical festival here at the weekend (putchens markt, it was huge, imagine brum xmas market + probably the best travelling fairground I've ever seen) and tyskie had a stand there for some reason, the missus' dad of polish descent got very excited by it, as did seemingly many others

its alright, its not got the wonder where your life went wrong taste of zubr

Â