Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Reminds me of when I started work and I met a colleague who also happened to to go to my school, but a few years previously. I still remember the look he gave me when he asked what year I was in and all I could answer was “Well....all of them.”

When I started work it came as a bit of a surprise that most kids did just a primary and a secondary school, as opposed to my first, middle and high school route. I’d assumed it was like that every where (although I suspected probably not public school).

My kid started her new nursery/pre school today. I always remember the “reception” year being “Year 1” but apparently not so I can see why it’s not immediately obvious to people.

• Haha 1

I think Worcestershire, Shropshire and Herefordshire were the last 3 counties to go to the 2 tier school system, working in construction 15 years ago schools were every local contractors bread and butter, build 3 in Telford, 2 in kiddy, 1 in bromsgrove, 3 in Wolverhampton

My school years/classes (1960s) weren't particularly logical. Primary school was split into infants (ages 4 to 7) and junior(ages 7 to 11). I don't remember how they named the infants classes, but juniors were streamed, class numbers counting DOWN from 8 to 1 as you got older. So, if you were in the 'A' stream, as I was, you went through classes 7, 5 and 3, finishing up in class 1. B streamers went 8, 6, 4, 2. 

Grammar school wasn't streamed, but each year had three classes X, Y and Z, so: 

First form (1X, 1Y, 1Z)

Second form

Third form

Fourth form

Fifth form

Then a sixth form, split by A-Level subject choices - Lit (arts), Sci (sciences/maths), Gen (odd combinations): 

Lower 6th

Upper 6th

So, all in all, not much more logical than reception through year 1, etc. 

Primary School

Infants

Reception

Year 1 - 3

Juniors

Year 4 - 6

Secondary School

Year 7 - 11

Further Education

Sixth Form (if stayed on at secondary school), College otherwise

Year 12 - 13 (possibly not applicable at colleges)

The way my secondary school divided up PE was fun. There were 4 houses, with 4 forms per house per year. In Year 7 your first PE lesson would have all the forms of 2 houses doing a huge joint lesson that made you do a variety of games etc, after which you got divvied up into 2 groups of 4 sets, in order of ability. You then did PE for the next couple of years in your set, with the houses sometime rotating and very, very occasionally someone would shift set. You did the assessment lesson again in year 9 to re-establish the sets. Sets also dictated what you did in each term, usually with the best 2 sets doing a particular sport and the crap 2 doing another sport, with some sports only being done by sets either side of the line - gymnastics and hockey were only done by the shit sets for instance.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

For our US VTers, a handy conversion chart: 

Schools.jpg

There's some variation in the US in how they handle Grades 6-9.  Although the above is the progression where my kids go to school, it's actually not very common to have a Junior High School for just 2 years.   The most common format is a Middle School encompassing Grades 6-8.

I went to Junior High School for Grades 7-9 and High School 10-12 (Soph, Jr., Sr.).   I'm not sure how common that was even back then, but I know my old school system has switched to the more common Middle School of 6-8.

Back in the '50's and earlier it was fairly standard to have just one school for grades K-8, often referred to as Grammar School.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Reminds me of when I started work and I met a colleague who also happened to to go to my school, but a few years previously. I still remember the look he gave me when he asked what year I was in and all I could answer was “Well....all of them.”

Made me lol

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

You then did PE for the next couple of years in your set, with the houses sometime rotating and very, very occasionally someone would shift set. You did the assessment lesson again in year 9 to re-establish the sets. Sets also dictated what you did in each term, usually with the best 2 sets doing a particular sport and the crap 2 doing another sport, with some sports only being done by sets either side of the line - gymnastics and hockey were only done by the shit sets for instance.

PE at my school was similar.

But the setting was pretty done totally on how good you were at rugby.

I was horrendous, whilst playing county tennis and running xcountry at club level, in the bottom set for PE 🤔

My dad kicked off (I know I know) and I was moved.

3 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

After having to stop bricklaying because of my health in February after a few months of applying for work, getting Interviewed and then being told no I started a job April

Today I was "let go" along with 30 other people.

I honestly give up

You got one, you'll get another. Not trying to diminish the disappointment as I've no doubt it smarts (I've been there a couple of times in my career). Take some time to sulk about it and then go out and get back into it.

Sorry it's happened to you though. Must be a crappy feeling.

Â