Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They didn't put up racist content though, did they? They put a poem by someone whose other work was racist, which isn't really the same thing.

If you start avoiding all of someone's work just because their views or a specific piece of their work is objectionable, you really start to limit any classical works.

Looking at people who lived in the 19th century, applying today's standards to them, and censoring their unrelated work is complete bullshit.

Irrelevant

The point was about the people using the building having the right to decide what gets displayed in their building, the racism is the reason they didn't want them up because displaying the works of someone considered to be racist by today's standards in a building that is run by an organisation that professes to be inclusive isn't the image that organisation wishes to portray.

No one has said tear down all the works by Kipling, it just wasn't appropriate for the setting and the organisation in question were never informed that the poem would be displayed in their building. Had they been consulted, they would have said no and it wouldn't have been displayed there in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Manc students defacing a display with a Rudyard Kipling poem on it. Wonder how many all of those self righteous students have Disney’s Jungle Book on blu-ray at home? 

We decided to paint over that poem and replace it with Still I Rise by Maya Angelou, a poem about resilience and

overcoming our history by a brilliant black woman.

is the Manchester Student Union for Blacks  only ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If you start avoiding all of someone's work just because their views or a specific piece of their work is objectionable, you really start to limit any classical works.

Gary Glitter's songs weren't about **** kids, but you don't hear him on the radio much these days.

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Gary Glitter's songs weren't about **** kids, but you don't hear him on the radio much these days.

He is when I control the Spotify playlist on casual Fridays at work! 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

and yet the same radio is happy to play serial child abuser Michael Jackson's music .... so if you were making a point it was a very selective one , which is fitting seeing as that's exactly what the student numpties were doing

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

and yet the same radio is happy to play serial child abuser Michael Jackson's music .... so if you were making a point it was a very selective one , which is fitting seeing as that's exactly what the student numpties were doing

I've known you years and never realised you were such a big Gary Glitter fan!

• Haha 1

Had a class where my teacher (super extroverted) was discussing the importance of body language and active listening in counseling.

I drop the comment that something like 5% of communication is verbal, 95% non verbal, and he's off and racing giving demonstration, waving his arms about like he's conductor of an orchestra.

We do an exercise where we put it in to practice and I am partnered with him.

The exercise simply involves picking a topic and speaking about it for a minute, then partner relays back what they heard for 30 seconds.

He speaks first, I recite everything he says and relay it back to him, he commends me on being a great listener but is critical of me sitting still with my hands in my lap.

I speak, he uses his active listening techniques to interrupt me on multiple occasions and a demeanour which I found OTT and distracting, then, for such a simple task I was surprised to see how little of what I said he could remember. Maybe I was at fault for this, *ucked if I know.

Definitely shouldn't piss me off but it kinda did. I was relaxed and focused on the content of his message, which I'm pretty sure is paramount in counseling, the client will value being heard.

I'm supposed to ditch that and interrupt with comments like, 'oh really', fake smile and a lean in like we're about to make out, in order to demonstrate active listening?

I get the importance of being approachable and being engaged when someone is talking to you, but man, I just could not identify with this guys level of enthusiasm for the techniques.

It's like the phrase 'pro-active', what's wrong with just being active. Active-listening, is it really so improved on listening.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Had a class where my teacher (super extroverted) was discussing the importance of body language and active listening in counseling.

I drop the comment that something like 5% of communication is verbal, 95% non verbal, and he's off and racing giving demonstration, waving his arms about like he's conductor of an orchestra.

The exercise simply involves picking a topic and speaking about it for a minute, then partner relays back what they heard for 30 seconds.

He speaks first, I recite everything he says and relay it back to him, he commends me on being a great listener but is critical of me sitting still with my hands in my lap.

I speak, he uses his active listening techniques to interrupt me on multiple occasions and a demeanour which I found OTT and distracting, then, for such a simple task I was surprised to see how little of what I said he could remember. Maybe I was at fault for this, *ucked if I know.

Definitely shouldn't piss me off but it kinda did. I was relaxed and focused on the content of his message, which I'm pretty sure is paramount in counseling, the client will value being heard.

I'm supposed to ditch that and interrupt with comments like, 'oh really', fake smile and a lean in like we're about to make out, in order to demonstrate active listening?

I get the importance of being approachable and being engaged when someone is talking to you, but man, I just could not identify with this guys level of enthusiasm for the techniques.

It's like the phrase 'pro-active', what's wrong with just being active. Active-listening, is it really so improved on listening.

TLDR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Manc students defacing a display with a Rudyard Kipling poem on it. Wonder how many all of those self righteous students have Disney’s Jungle Book on blu-ray at home? 

All in the name of 'social justice' I bet.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm incredibly relaxed about students flexing their nascent moral fibre and doing stuff like this.

If you can't be spontaneous, righteous and only partially informed because your only on year two when you're a student, when can you be?

Students in 'Students want own stuff in students union space', shocker. 

Key word for me is students.

I am not pissed off about this. I am 73% dis interested, 20% mildly amused, 8% statistician.

I’m gonna come back in 100 years time and paint over your post as it’s clearly offence to statisticians everywhere 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Do you like the films of jude law? 

Just chatting shit with my mate, reminiscing about birds from when we were younger...

Well there is a bird I work with and I only text her very rarely, I text her earlier and told her it was my turn to get the breakfast tomorrow...

Conversations got crossed and I accidentally sent her a message saying "easily the best hand job I have ever recìeved" 

All of a sudden I'm not too sure she will be thrilled when I rock up to work with her sausage and egg mcmuffin  

• Haha 3

Â