Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They are specifically separating it from sport by calling it "e-sport". it doesn't need to fit into the definition of Sport

I know that. I just thought I'd give my opinion on the matter people have been discussing the last couple of pages.

Edit: FWIW I don't care if it's called e-sports or whatever. It rolls off the tongue easier than e-competitions at any rate.

Edited by Phumfeinz

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Is there not a degree of physical skill in accurately making movements with split second timing in many cases repeatedly? It's not much exertion but neither is darts.

The problem comes from defining sport. It is more vague than it appears.

Mostly playing devils advocate... As the name defines out of it anyway, it's a different category of competition, 'e' competition.

For me it's competition that makes things sport.

If I'm playing cards with my gran, that's not sport.
But if I'm playing in the World Series of Poker, that's sport.

If I go for a jog on my own, that's not sport.
If I run in a competitive 10k race, then that's sport.

Driving my car isn't sport.
Entering my car into a race is sport.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

For me it's competition that makes things sport.

If I'm playing cards with my gran, that's not sport.
But if I'm playing in the World Series of Poker, that's sport.

If I go for a jog on my own, that's not sport.
If I run in a competitive 10k race, then that's sport.

Driving my car isn't sport.
Entering my car into a race is sport.

Ignoring the whole category thing (which renders the whole thing moot IMO) I think a sport needs to be competition with some physical skill necessary to succeed, be that accuracy, endurance, speed, strength, whatever. Chess wouldn't be a sport even in competition for me as it's completely mental. Tiddlywinks would be, as daft as that is. 

31 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Bloody Libtard, Snowflake, Fake News, MSM, Social Justice Warriors. I doubt you'd see something like that in a proper paper like the Daily Mail. That chess is for foreigners anyway, all Sputniks and Kalashnikovs, you never hear of a name like John Smith becoming a grand wizard do you!!?? 

Coincidentally, I was rooting through some old stuff in the house the other day and came across my old 'Nigel Short's Chess' complete with book :) 

• Like 1

The "instant" chat option on the my sky app. It's been 2 days now since i asked if removing golf and F1 channels would reduce my subs. Simple you'd like to think right ?

Not really. I've messaged about 4 different people and each time i get an eventual reply from them, it's someone new so they ask me the same questions even though it's all in the history. Latest update was someone asked me to confirm my security question answer......then....an hour later i ask what is happening.....their reply - "I'm finishing my shift now so I'll put you back in the pool for the next staff member to pick up your query"

You just couldn't make it up. 

54 minutes ago, BOF said:

Coincidentally, I was rooting through some old stuff in the house the other day and came across my old 'Nigel Short's Chess' complete with book :) 

Nigel Short.

Blimey, that takes me back to live World Chess on BBC & Channel 4 in the early 90s when he played Kasparov. This one's the BBC:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Nigel Short.

Blimey, that takes me back to live World Chess on BBC & Channel 4 in the early 90s when he played Kasparov. This one's the BBC:

I wonder if the slightly high pitched one, who was getting all excited, ever looked back and wished he'd wasted his youth on clunge and drugs? 

Edited by wazzap24

29 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I wonder if the slightly high pitched one, who was getting all excited, ever looked back and wished he'd wasted his youth on clunge and drugs? 

What's even worse is that I'm watching people play chess! 

FML

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

What's even worse is that I'm watching people play chess! 

FML

No, it's worse than that, we have just watched people, watching people, playing chess :crylaugh:

l've been on here all day avoiding work, I need some fresh air and a joint I think! 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Haha 1

I may have misheard but I think it has been reported that a now 'scrapped' plan to build a new bridge over the Thames in LONDON ('natch) has already cost £37m. What !!! And there are people that say this country is not 'Londoncentric'. 

PS Shouldn't start a sentence with a conjunction !

• Like 1

On 13/08/2017 at 21:02, StefanAVFC said:

If golf is considered a sport then e-sports should be too

As a golfer and a gamer, this is just a ridiculous statement ...... In my humble opinion of course

• Like 1

My company are severely short on English speakers - I'm interviewing 3 this week. Including an 18 year old girl with no IT or Service experience.

They just see English and their eyes light up.

Pubic transport! :bang::bang::bang:

No trains in or out of Waterloo this morning, Piccadilly and District lines part-suspended then when I finally do get a tube, Holborn station is closed due to a fire. I've spent 3 hours getting in to the office this morning, taking three buses, two tubes and walked 45 minutes. 

17 minutes ago, choffer said:

Pubic transport! :bang::bang::bang:

No trains in or out of Waterloo this morning, Piccadilly and District lines part-suspended then when I finally do get a tube, Holborn station is closed due to a fire. I've spent 3 hours getting in to the office this morning, taking three buses, two tubes and walked 45 minutes. 

Could you not just work from home?

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Could you not just work from home?

Ordinarily I would have turned around and gone home but I'm meeting someone this afternoon so needed to be in town.

Â