Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

12 hours ago, JB said:

E-sports being considered a sport. **** off. 

Being shown live on the BBC website: Blokes playing Streetfighter! 

Glad our licence fee is being spent well ;)

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

Being shown live on the BBC website: Blokes playing Streetfighter! 

Glad our licence fee is being spent well ;)

Yep, spotting a link on the BBC Sport app to guys playing Counter Strike was what prompted my post. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't understand the backlash against e-sports. 

It's only as ridiculous as people watching other people play football. 

I've nothing against people watching it. But it's not a sport. Putting it in the same category as athletic endeavours is what pisses me off. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's only as ridiculous as people watching other people play football. 

Add depressing to ridiculous if watching us! 

1 hour ago, JB said:

I've nothing against people watching it. But it's not a sport. Putting it in the same category as athletic endeavours is what pisses me off. 

Is it in the same category as athletic endeavours? The designation e-sports suggests to me a different overarching category of competition.

I've no problem with e-sports. I don't think there's many I'd watch, but I can appreciate there's skill to being exceptionally good at them. I've played various fighting games to some degree or another for 20 odd years, but put me in a tournament against the best in say, Street Fighter, and I'll barely land a hit, because the best not only have learnt character movesets inside out, they have execution and timing down to the extent that they can regularly hit combos with tiny windows of opportunity (literally 1 or 2 frames of animation) or take advantage of millisecond 'safe' moments between moves and so on. People playing things like StarCraft competitively in South Korea have their brains strategising and carrying out hundreds of actions per minute at speeds that are barely comprehensible. I can't do those things and I've been playing games since I was a kid.

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Olympic walk races. It's absolute bullshit. Fine, do your ridiculous sport but it shouldn't be an olympic event.

Triple jump says "hi". 

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If golf is considered a sport then e-sports should be too

As much as I dislike golf, I disagree. Yes, fat people play it and can be pretty good but there's definitely a decent number of athletic qualities required to do it well. 

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Is it in the same category as athletic endeavours? The designation e-sports suggests to me a different overarching category of competition.

I've no problem with e-sports. I don't think there's many I'd watch, but I can appreciate there's skill to being exceptionally good at them. I've played various fighting games to some degree or another for 20 odd years, but put me in a tournament against the best in say, Street Fighter, and I'll barely land a hit, because the best not only have learnt character movesets inside out, they have execution and timing down to the extent that they can regularly hit combos with tiny windows of opportunity (literally 1 or 2 frames of animation) or take advantage of millisecond 'safe' moments between moves and so on. People playing things like StarCraft competitively in South Korea have their brains strategising and carrying out hundreds of actions per minute at speeds that are barely comprehensible. I can't do those things and I've been playing games since I was a kid.

You have a point - it does indeed have its own category but it pissed me off (irrationally) to see it in the sports section of the BBC website and to hear murmurings of it becoming an Olympic event. 

I can also appreciate the skill involved in being good at them (I still remember being 7 or 8 and being in awe of my older cousin who could complete Street Fighter 2 Turbo on level 7!). But there's still no way that they should be talked about alongside actual sports. IMO of course. 

On 13/08/2017 at 12:32, StefanAVFC said:

If golf is considered a sport then e-sports should be too

Outdated comment. 

Have you seen the worlds top golfers these days? Rory wouldn't look out of place in the UFC! 

Granted their are still a few fatties about like the Beef and Lowry, but by and large the top boys spend almost as much time in the gym, as they do practicing. 

12 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Sport is defined as competitive physical activity.

e-sports? Competitive? Yep. Physical? I wouldn't class using a computer or console as physical activity. You move your thumbs and fingers a bit.

They are specifically separating it from sport by calling it "e-sport". it doesn't need to fit into the definition of Sport

Is there not a degree of physical skill in accurately making movements with split second timing in many cases repeatedly? It's not much exertion but neither is darts.

The problem comes from defining sport. It is more vague than it appears.

Mostly playing devils advocate... As the name defines out of it anyway, it's a different category of competition, 'e' competition.

Â