Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I never spotted the oddity, because I'm used to that phrasing :D 

I presumed that was the case.

As an Irishman who grew up in England who then moved back for University at UCD and with a gf from Waterford, i am very used to it as well and often will use alot of the terms which probably sound very wrong with my English accent.

your one and you know yourself probably being the worst.

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It pisses me off that when something happens in the world of Aston Villa (e.g. Terry signing), everybody decamps over to on-topic, and Off Topic dies on its arse. 

Welcome JT:ph34r:

Getting pissed of peeling an orange, googling to see if there's an easier way and getting distracted over whether the flesh or inner peel is the mesocarp. Stop reading and eat your damn fruit. 

You could say it takes the pith...

• Like 1

Blokes who wear bright blue suits. I get a really irrational anger upon me when I see them. 

Because they seem popular they have replaced Pin Striped suits as the focus of my hatred. 

My first post in OT for a while........ Feels gooood!

• Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 21:34, PompeyVillan said:

"Yous two" 

I may have mentioned this before but when my son was at Nursery the girls who worked there were the salt of the earth types. 

One day he came to talk to my wife and I and said. Oi, youz two. 

Man it stopped me in my tracks, had to tell him not to speak like that. Call me a snob, I don't care. 

I moved into my flat back in December, it got me off Erdington High Street and all the noise and trouble that came with it.

Only problem is that there is some sort of crack den over the road and there is always **** trouble out there, 8 kids rowing from 4:30am till 6:30am, I wouldn't mind if they just had a scrap and sorted it out but they ponce about bouncing around like rubbish football hooligans and do nothing.

Just have a **** straightener and let me get back to sleep.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I may have mentioned this before but when my son was at Nursery the girls who worked there were the salt of the earth types. 

Man it stopped me in my tracks, had to tell him not to speak like that. Call me a snob, I don't care. 

Snob!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's the "Oi" I'd have more of a problem with there tbh.  Even "Hey yous two" wouldn't be nearly as confrontational.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

There is no way that a native English speaker would use "oi" in anything other than a rude way. it's like verbally grabbing someone.

unless you say it twice... as in "oi oi" in a cheeky way.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I worked with a bloke before who didn't like being called pal, especially by people he didn't know. 

I don't like it, either. 

Same with the lad that used to work in our local corner shop, who always called me 'matey'. I think he was not long over from India, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt for thinking he was using a friendly colloquialism. 

Edited by mjmooney

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't like it, either. 

Same with the lad that used to work in our local corner shop, who always called me 'matey'. I think he was not long over from India, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt for thinking he was using a friendly colloquialism. 

Must be an old fashioned thing then because the blokes in question are both around the 60 mark. 

Call me what you want, but don't call me late for my dinner.

• Like 2

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I disagree,  Belfast is the source of that I am 100 % sure.  Even if you try and say it normally in Belfast accent it automatically changes it to "Yous two". Try it. 

I wasn't saying it was the origin as Scouse is a complete mongrel of a dialect, amalgamating many popular illererate trends from Ireland, Wales, Lancashire and beyond

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I don't like it, either. 

Matey is a friendly colloquialism, isn't it? :huh:

I use various greetings, for blokes I don't know or don't know the names of. 'sir', 'dude', 'mate', 'matey', 'fella', 'squire'.  All meant to be friendly.  

• Like 1

Â